The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vaulting

one of my riders used to teach vaulting and was asking about teaching it at my barn. My insurance company won't cover vaulting though, which I am thinking means I would be sued personally if someone got hurt right?

Does anyone Vault? If so, was your instructor/barn able to get insurance?

it's a crying shame that the insurance won't cover it.
    Did they give you any reason?
    It is really much safer than riding in many aspects!
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

1 members found this post helpful.

The insurance company won't cover it because their underwriter won't cover it. I guess there is another underwriter that will (the same one that covers rodeo and such) but that would make it cost prohibitive.

I think part of it is that helmets are not worn, nor are boots, and unlike gymnastics, there are no mats to fall on.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    The insurance company won't cover it because their underwriter won't cover it. I guess there is another underwriter that will (the same one that covers rodeo and such) but that would make it cost prohibitive.

I think part of it is that helmets are not worn, nor are boots, and unlike gymnastics, there are no mats to fall on.
    As far as horse activity insurance goes, your company is woefully uneducated.
    I cannot, for the life of me remember hearing about anybody getting hurt vaulting. I am sure it does happen, but I have never heard of it.

I hope you can find somebody, because it is a huge addition to your program IMHO!
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

I don't know where the "it's much safer than riding" data comes from. Vaulting participants do not wear helmets and are performing gymnastics on a moving horse. It's a fabulous sport - but actual safety data would be interesting.

Can you contact the local vaulting community about insurers?

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    I don't know where the "it's much safer than riding" data comes from. Vaulting participants do not wear helmets and are performing gymnastics on a moving horse. It's a fabulous sport - but actual safety data would be interesting.

That is my next plan. Left them an email for now. My student who used to teach vaulting is going to talk to her former instructor (different province) to see what they did for insurance.

My old barn used the basics of vaulting as the beginning step for teaching very young riders (with 2 side walkers initially) and any other rider interested. My adult class had an absolute blast. It didn't hurt that we had a wonderful barn full of some very nice vaulting horses, including a half Percheron. It is a great way to teach the feel of riding, without adding tack. Aside: The "real" vaulters did not wear helmets, but all the others taking the step to riding vaulting classes did.

Best wishes and good luck - I did not mean to scare anyone with the note of concern. It's a great addition to any riding program.

I have not been able to get coverage for vaulting either. I use Markel, who I love. Interested to see where this thread goes...
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post

it might be annecdotal evidence, but I have actually been relatively close to the scene back home, once upon a time.
    My cousin competed at reginal and national level, and trained/taught vaulting.
    The club had a strong team, as well as many surrounding clubs.

I think I have seen one video of somebody falling off doing a more difficult move. I have not heard of one single person getting hurt.
    Now, another cousin broke her arm valuting off a garden table....

Vaulting - even with the more advanced moves - is pretty darn safe!
    Without helmet.

Maybe you - the OP - needs to find the national vaulting body.
    It is an international sport, maybe through this venue you can find somebody insuring your program!

Maybe they don't get hurt because if they fall they can back handspring out of it lol. Love watching it but man I'm to chicken to try it.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

1 members found this post helpful.