The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default clipping input...

thoughts on what blades to use when clipping for show horses? Another argument with someone in regards to clipping. They say you should ALWAYS use a 10 blade...

my thoughts? They leave more lines than a child first learning how to clip.

I stick with 10's for the lower legs and front of the face then 84's for the rest.

Whats anyone elses input?

10's and T84's are basically the same blade, just different widths. Is that what you meant though, which is the correct width to use, versus the length that the blade clips to? I generally use T84s for the body, and the 10's for the head and legs, just because it's faster. I have been stuck using 10's for everything if I dull my last set of the wide ones before the horse is finished though, and while it takes longer, the horses look the same in then end. Although good equipment is makes things much easier, I think the quality of the end result often has as much (or more!) to do with who is wielding the blades as the equipment itself.

Edited because subsequent posters have correctly pointed out that 10's and T84's are NOT the same length. My apologies! If you're careful though, you won't get a line between areas you clip with the two blades.
    Last edited by Small Change; Dec. 7, 2012 at 09:39 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

T-84 and 10's are not the same blade and do not give the same cut. 10's cut much closer than a T-84 and you will get lines. T-84 is about a 9 compared to a 10. For a smaller clipper, T-84 blades are the best. I have clipped horses the day before a horse show with T-84 blades and they look show ring ready. Most professional grooms use T-84 blades.

Its all in the technique. I used to be a “pro clipper” I guess – I would clip barns full of show horses (hunter jumpers and eventers). Vast majority got FULL body clips. Funded my horse keeping.

I use a 10 blade – Oster clip master variable speed, A5 for smaller areas, and small hand held Wahls for the tightest spots. All 10 blade. Start with a clean horse, SHARP blades (a couple of sets if needed), and powerful clippers (don’t push through the coat, slowly glide). Cross clip any areas which look like they could get tracks.

I have had clients compliment how the horse could walk into the show ring the moment the clippers stop – no streaks or tracks, just a shiny coat.

(course this is before Andis made a big move into the horse market )

1 members found this post helpful.

Like Apps said, a clean horse is key. I also used to have very good results with using show sheen on a damp coat after the bath prior to the clip. Makes for good slide. Lastly, never had good results trying to use blades for more than two horses without sharpening. Sometimes less than two horses.Depends on coats.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

On a clean horse bathed in showsheen... almost any clipper can give you a line-free effect. I use a gentle hand and the Lister Star fines and I used #10 on the face/legs and tickly areas.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I just clipped a dirty horse wth an old set of 10 blades that could really use a sharpening... didn't leave lines.... I don't think the blades are the problem..

im thinking the real problem is who is doing the clipping... she recently clipped a grey with 10's the morning of the show.... I would have shot her right there if it was my horse... lol

I agree with people that say to clip with T-84's. 84's and 10's are not the same, 10's are definitely a closer cut. I've done a good job with both blades, but I prefer 84's since they give a close enough cut but I can clip with 84's and show them the next day and they look good. If I were clipping with 10's I'd prefer to clip at least a week or two before a show, whereas with 84's I have and have no problem with clipping the day before.

hmmm....funny. I just clipped my horse last week. 10s on his body, and T84s on his head and legs, a few tickly bits, and for touch ups. I can't see a difference. Go figure.

Well there you go - my apologies re: the T-84's and 10's giving the same length clip! I do use them interchangeably when I clip (and I do a fair number of horses each season), so I must be better at blending that line between head/legs and body than I thought. Again, my apologies for the incorrect information.

Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    Well there you go - my apologies re: the T-84's and 10's giving the same length clip! I do use them interchangeably when I clip (and I do a fair number of horses each season), so I must be better at blending that line between head/legs and body than I thought. Again, my apologies for the incorrect information.
    You and me both, then, because I honestly can't tell the difference. I see a much bigger difference if I use a 10 blade on my small clippers and 10s on the body clippers, which is why I use the T84s on the small clippers.

Maybe we're just awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    T-84 and 10's are not the same blade and do not give the same cut. 10's cut much closer than a T-84 and you will get lines. T-84 is about a 9 compared to a 10. For a smaller clipper, T-84 blades are the best. I have clipped horses the day before a horse show with T-84 blades and they look show ring ready. Most professional grooms use T-84 blades.
    Exactly! I clip professionally and use a T84 everywhere, with something closer on the inside of the ears. I personally do not like the 10 blades.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    hmmm....funny. I just clipped my horse last week. 10s on his body, and T84s on his head and legs, a few tickly bits, and for touch ups. I can't see a difference. Go figure.

They are not *the same* but they are close enough that, IME you can alternate/use them both and as long as you are careful to cover your strokes-- it looks fine.

Seeing a difference of under 1 mm is pretty hard on the naked eye-- especially if you're standing a couple of feet away. I can barely even feel the difference with my hand, but I certainly can't see it visually a week after the clip standing a casual distance from the horse.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Maybe we're just awesome!
    That's got to be it. We're just too good with clippers.

Funny story - when I was first learning to clip (at about 10 or 12 years old), I mistakenly did a full clip on my lovely little grey pony with a pair of #30 blades... The poor little guy looked like he'd been waxed instead of clipped! There was nothing to do but wait for hair to grow to fix that particular oopsie.

This is my first year clipping professionally. I have clipped many horses they day before a show and they look great, no lines at all. I use the Lister Stars (medium blade) or my Oster Clip Master Pros (10 blade). The key to no lines is 1.) a freshly bathed horse 2.) show sheen or the Manna Pre-Clip 3.) the person who is doing the clipping! I finish all my horses off with a good spritz of Marigold Rehydrant
    Hope this helps!

I agree with the above posters regarding show sheen - I left that out on my post, but yes, CLEAN horse - DOUSED in show sheen (and allowed to dry completely) will help the clippers glide and give a nice track free cut.

Has anyone body clipped with a T84 on the Andis AGC Super 2 Speed clipper? Is it powerful enough to clip the whole body or does Andis make a larger clipper that takes the T84?
    Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

The Andis 2-speed clipper is the one I body clip with, and use T-84's. It works great for me! The past few seasons I've done around 10 horses a season with them and then they will give you some problems (had to replace once) but for a few horses a season I like them a lot.