The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WDAA -Western Dressage Assoc Am. New Test and Updated Rules

For those who are interested. The Western Dressage Association of America has more tests so now Training to Level 2 are available. The disclaimer hasn't changed,

"Our Rules incorporate elements of both Western and Dressage disciplines. Their revision was a collaborative effort on the part of member feedback, evaluation of respected horse people and equine organizations, and edited by a team of our Advisory Board members championed by Anita Owen, FEI Olympic Dressage judge."

Much more challenging and fun-seeming.

http://westerndressageassociation.or...e-rules-tests/

Yes yes; not really dressage yes yes; posers hosers yes yes; call it something else

But for those of you who are are interested -there you go.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Those tests look sort of fun. I'd love to do them at a trot instead of a jog, in my dressage saddle instead of a western and do a turn on the haunches instead of a turn on the forehand.

Wouldn't it be funny if more main stream dressage people showed up in the western dressage classes just because we like the flow of their tests? In the first level test I just read they do a 20M circle into a 10M circle with no change of bend. I'd rock at that!

how can you ride a 20m circle to a 10m circle with no change in bend? the horse would end up being crooked.... ?

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    how can you ride a 20m circle to a 10m circle with no change in bend? the horse would end up being crooked.... ?
    It's no change in the direction of bend... just an increase in existing bend. This pattern is in some of the British Dressage tests and Pony Club tests over here. It's often executed very poorly but it's a good learning exercise for riders IME.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

They do look like fun don't they! I love that there are more levels and more challenge now -shoulder in, etc. Fortunately for me I ride an endurance saddle, and I had some Western fenders made that thread through my English stirrup leathers. I'm quite excited.

I ride this http://ezfittreelesssaddles.com/index.html so it will work out.

RE; increasing the bend in a circle without making it look like a papaya or a loaf of bread -much easier said than done, IMO.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).