The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Netg..did I just see this photo (as requested) on FB? Lol small world.

I love the nerf ball idea. That is great! I think I've figured out where I was going wrong and I think I have a really good fix (for now). I need to keep my position and I need to fix his body to fill me up, not the other way around. I need to concentrate on keeping him "in" my core and off of my hands. Didn't get to ride today but tomorrow I'll have a more clear idea if I've actually resolved some issues.....if not maybe the nerf balls. lol

1 members found this post helpful.

Today I was in the arena during a beginner's lesson.
    Instructor told her to make sure she didn't hold her hands horizontally, b/c that makes it easier for your elbows pop up. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think she's right.

Ha! One of them.

Now I'm curious who you are... did you request it?

Quote Originally Posted by KurPlexed View Post
    Netg..did I just see this photo (as requested) on FB? Lol small world.

I love the nerf ball idea. That is great! I think I've figured out where I was going wrong and I think I have a really good fix (for now). I need to keep my position and I need to fix his body to fill me up, not the other way around. I need to concentrate on keeping him "in" my core and off of my hands. Didn't get to ride today but tomorrow I'll have a more clear idea if I've actually resolved some issues.....if not maybe the nerf balls. lol
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Smile

I think that it is far more important for elbows to be allowed to move, and adjust in helping to maintain a soft supple contact, and the ever important straight line between them and the bit, than that they always stay back.

In the free walk they move freely, in the collected gaits they move very little, but they must be able to move.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Merry: Yes. I have mobile elbows but they can't be mobile if they are stretched out straight. The need to come back in order to work as a hinge. I'm getting it. The answer is in my body/back and that allows me to keep them correct while acting as a hinge in walk and canter.

and as an aside: one of the most helpful things i have ever done for my riding is to stop comparing myself to some mythical perfect rider. its ok if i am not perfect - and expecting perfection only sets one up to fail big time.

What?! There is a rider at my barn that is gifted and natural and near perfect. Whenever I am struggling I visualize her and say to myself, "Make it look like...." I don't need to break it down or articulate it. As soon as I visualize her, my own riding gets better. Never be satisfied with inadequate riding. Especially your own. Don't watch bad riders, even slightly bad ones. Get weight into your elbows and keep it there. The visualizations about suspenders and open books are great. Even if you can only do it at the walk, that is enough. Don't proceed until you can.

Quote Originally Posted by pony418 View Post
    and as an aside: one of the most helpful things i have ever done for my riding is to stop comparing myself to some mythical perfect rider. its ok if i am not perfect - and expecting perfection only sets one up to fail big time.

What?! There is a rider at my barn that is gifted and natural and near perfect. Whenever I am struggling I visualize her and say to myself, "Make it look like...." I don't need to break it down or articulate it. As soon as I visualize her, my own riding gets better. Never be satisfied with inadequate riding. Especially your own. Don't watch bad riders, even slightly bad ones. Get weight into your elbows and keep it there. The visualizations about suspenders and open books are great. Even if you can only do it at the walk, that is enough. Don't proceed until you can.
    Agree! Watching excellent riders can do amazing things for your own riding. Obviously lessons with my fantastic coach have been key to my improvement but also being at the barn and getting to listen to her top notch instruction every time I ride has done wonders for me. When I ride I visualize Carl or Charlotte or whatever big name I've watched videos of recently. Instantly my equitation improves and it puts me in a better frame of mind to be a more effective rider. Mediocrity is the antithesis of my end goals for muself so why would I accept that as okay? Striving for perfection, however impossible, plays a VERY important part in my personal progress.

I just did a clinic with Heather Blitz and she had everyone imagine you are pressing your hands forward into an immovable object (I pictured a plexiglass wall rising from my horse's withers). That way, you engage your latissimus dorsi muscles and the bend in your elbow happens naturally. It really worked for me, but I noticed some riders started to give the reins away a bit too much with this image. So give it a try- it may work for you or it may not. Good luck!