The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling/trading trailer - Please help talk me down

So, I have a nice 2H GN trailer that I'd had custom ordered back in 2000. I love it. It's my first ever new trailer and done the way I wanted (and could afford at the time, no big fancy bells and whistles). A couple year later, I'd wished I'd got a 3H instead....sigh....

Come up to now, I still have my beloved trailer, it's in great shape, treated me well. But I still want a 3H, and now I have 3 horses I can take as a family to go ride with - but a 2H trailer.....

Solution? Sell it, get a 3H, right?

No money to upgrade, which means I have to downgrade quality to straight trade to a 3H which has my criteria (mostly safety related, and structural, not fanciness). And they're difficult to find, esp. in a trade situation.

So, I've found a likely trade contender (I haven't seen it in flesh yet, but lots of pics, and talked to a dealer of the brand who knows a ton about the older models)...it's 9 years OLDER than mine, but seems in great shape, and has all the criteria (except some missing rubber wall lining in front stall ??? and rubber bumper). It's had it's DR partially LQ finished (not sure of quality from pics, though-no water or AC). It has typical wear. It doesn't have great tires, and I still need to get it inspected to make sure axles are ok, too.

So, there are some caveats to it, but it meets most criteria, and is a possible trade candidate.

Problem? - I think I'm emotionally attached to my trailer

I've known it since 'birth' and know it's complete care history. Any other trailer - I don't. If this other were even 5 years younger I may not be so hesitant, though the dealer I spoke with speaks highly of these particular older models...

So, what to do? How to break the spell of my trailer? I know that even if I sold it outright, it's gone from my life...sigh....
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Having just sold my older trailer, I can tell you at some point, age doesn't matter as much as condition, maintenance and quality. There were people out there selling newer trailers that were not taken care of as well as my trailer and it showed. Buyers always tried to convince me that my trailer was older than so-and-so's newer trailer, but mine was in better condition and looked newer than theirs. So, I would say, if a trailer is more than 10 years old, condition, quality and maintenance become more important than actual age.

Also, get a trailer pre-purchase exam at a trailer maintenance place. They can tell you if there is any structural issues (axles, floors, rot, rust, etc) with the trailer before you buy. its usually around $100 and can save you alot of headache.

1 members found this post helpful.

Rocky123 is correct about the condition vs the age of a trailer. Horse trailers are simple vehicles. With the exception of the floor, most items can be easily repaired or replaced. The floor condition is the most important area to inspect. ... And the most easily damaged by neglect. Pull the mats out. A lot of work, but infinitely better than merely lifting a mat corner.

Thanks guys. Any more help on helping me let go of my love...uh I mean MY trailer? sigh...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I get it. Completely. (Yes, we're iiidiots ;-/ who loves a tin box? I do!) But if you really want to go on family jaunts with 3 beasts you'll have to dump the lovely old girl. OR, buy another truck and a tag-along. Or maybe just a Brenderup and hitch it to your Subaru ;-)....As someone else said, take the "new" one to your trailer guy and have him do a complete inspection.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

You give her a wonderful power wash. Make her look as nice as she did on the day of her coming out party (I'm sure you have pictures) and then sell her proudly. Show everyone how great she is. Know that she'll go to a loving home that will continue the standard of care you set for her.

I can tell a trailer that has been well-cared for and *that's* the first one I'll buy, regardless of age.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm in the opposite situation. I have an older Turnbow 3 horse gooseneck with additional front unload ramp, that I have loved. All the horses I have hauled in it, load well and easily. I just don't haul 3 horses anymore. I want to downgrade to a 2 horse bumper pull, so we can downsize our truck once it needs replacing. I hate to let go of an old friend though! It is time to either put money into a paint job or get a new trailer.

Thanks all. I'm in grieving mode right now. I think I've decided to do it, if the other trailer is good enough in person, without me being TOO picky.

I decided, maybe I can just trade out wheels and tires on the two, keep my brand new tires that way! They appear, from pics, to be the same. I'll just have to make the 89 mile trek and go see the other trailer. See if we can strike a deal.

It's like selling a beloved horse. You assume it's worth thousands more than it may actually be, and don't value the prospect you're looking at as highly. Even though yours doesn't jump, and the other is a son of Gem Twist

sigh.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I loved my trailer too ... When I sold it, I passed along all its washing/cleaning supplies and special wax that I used. I told the new owners the care schedule I did, wash and wax in the spring and fall, interior wash in the fall, all the maintenance records. I am sure they thought I was crazy.

As soon as I got my new trailer, I forgot that I even had the old trailer !!

1 members found this post helpful.

As a note of consolation, if you got your trailer in 2000, and the new trailer is 9years old, then the 3H trailer is YOUNGER than yours!

We have an old trailer, purchased when we switched horse breeds. The mare just would NOT fit in the 2H bumper pull, couldn't shut the trailer door because there was a foot of horse rump still hanging out! She was only 2yrs old then, destined to "mature" much larger. Had to buy a trailer she and her younger sister would fit into! Lost the now old horse in Sept. that we had to fit into a bigger trailer, she was 27yrs old. We use that stock trailer for everything, was an excellent purchase then. Has been useful for things we never thought of until we needed them moved. It would be the last trailer to sell. Husband has repainted it, lined it with rubber, put new floors in twice. Added and fixed the cross pieces holding up the floors. Still looks like a stock trailer, but not a junky one rusting to death. Locally we call those models with the hayrack on the roof "A Trail Rider Special", because you need to carry a week or two's worth of hay for the Cross State Trail Ride of 10days to 2 weeks.

I would have a hard time selling that trailer, sure had a lot of fun with it over those many years. Put many thousands of miles on it too, going places. Even if we got down to only one horse, that trailer would still work fine.

Well, it's 9 years OLDER than mine, a 1991.

Now the guy won't trade, he needs cash outright...and I need to sell mine before I could give him cash...sigh....I guess I WAS ready to do it, since I'm all bummed out now...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is a disappointment! Sorry, I read the other trailer as OLD, missed the ER on the word. 9 years older than what I had would be a big bite!

They say you lose out on something, because a better one is waiting to be found. Hope that works for you in hunting.