The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter barns in Camden?

Hey yall! I'm not sure how many people remember me, but I used to be on here under the name theroanypony. Check out my old posts, there were some real winners in there lol. I had no idea what my password/email was so I just rejoined. It's officially been 2 years since I last rode. The typical I had to go to college thing totally messed me up. While I've been on hiatus, my pony (The Roany Pony, Morgan) had to be put down. He had cushings disease. It was a really hard thing to deal with and I'm still not over it. But I'm all grown up now, half way through college but taking a break from it. I work a fulltime, awesome job and make oodles of money. Just kidding, lol but I make a decent living since I don't have any children or bills.

Now that I have the time and money, I want, scratch that, NEED to start riding again!! I wanna start back doing beginner hunter lessons at a NICE barn. I would love, love, love to go back to my old barn but it's just much too far away! I work in Sumter, SC, which is only about half an hour away from Camden, SC.

Can anyone recommend a nice hunter barn in the Camden, SC area that is ammy friendly? I just want a nice, upscale place that I can take lessons at. Somewhere that has nice, sane school horses lol.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto_hunter View Post
    Hey yall! I'm not sure how many people remember me, but I used to be on here under the name theroanypony. Check out my old posts, there were some real winners in there lol. I had no idea what my password/email was so I just rejoined. It's officially been 2 years since I last rode. The typical I had to go to college thing totally messed me up. While I've been on hiatus, my pony (The Roany Pony, Morgan) had to be put down. He had cushings disease. It was a really hard thing to deal with and I'm still not over it. But I'm all grown up now, half way through college but taking a break from it. I work a fulltime, awesome job and make oodles of money. Just kidding, lol but I make a decent living since I don't have any children or bills.

Now that I have the time and money, I want, scratch that, NEED to start riding again!! I wanna start back doing beginner hunter lessons at a NICE barn. I would love, love, love to go back to my old barn but it's just much too far away! I work in Sumter, SC, which is only about half an hour away from Camden, SC.

Can anyone recommend a nice hunter barn in the Camden, SC area that is ammy friendly? I just want a nice, upscale place that I can take lessons at. Somewhere that has nice, sane school horses lol.
    I have a hunter barn in Camden. Check out our website www.camdenhunterbarn.org

Try Three Fox Farm. Adrianne Beasley. She's great. The have a website.

Lucky you-- NICE hunter barns and super h/j pros are all over Camden. I'm not sure about school horse programs, but feel certain that Jack Towell, Roger Young, Danny Robertshaw, Ron Danta, Jason Berry... could all do a super job of pointing you in good directions. Google them, then try do a tour of h/j facilities in Camden, watching the various trainers teach, coach their clients, etc., to get an idea of which look most likely to suit you personally. You could learn a lot right there. Have fun--- and shop 'til you drop into a great place!

(Oops: Jason Berry is in Va., off 81. Unfortunately his name and barn came up when I googled for trainers in Camden-- because of his time working for Danny R. apparently. I should have looked more carefully at the site before posting ! )
    Last edited by fish; Nov. 30, 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Add Mary Jackson to the list. Perhaps a bit lower key than the BNTs mentioned. I bought a horse through Jason Berry. He is fabulous but I didn't realize he was in Camden. He had been in VA near Harrisonburg.

Quote Originally Posted by fourfillies View Post
    Add Mary Jackson to the list. Perhaps a bit lower key than the BNTs mentioned. I bought a horse through Jason Berry. He is fabulous but I didn't realize he was in Camden. He had been in VA near Harrisonburg.
    Yes--- Jason is in Va. Thanks for the correction (see above).

I can't speak to the trainers there, but how I do love Camden! Be sure to visit that great big tack shop for me!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

2 members found this post helpful.

Mary Jackson, definitely.

Thanks yall! I'm really excited to start taking lessons again! I'm gonna call around and see what options I have since I don't have my own horse. I'm definitely gonna try out different places before making a decision, I really appreciate the suggestions!

If you are looking solely for lessons, definitely recommend The Camden Hunter Barn. None of the other barns mentioned have lesson horses.