The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

WM has only been in Canada for a few years and, most people I know, do not like WM and consider it an intruder. I refuse to shop there like I refuse to shop at most box stores (Home Depot, Future Shop, Best Buy, etc.). I will drive further to patronize my pet store for quality products and superior service. I will go to my local grocery store for excellent fresh produce at lower prices. I will go to the farmers' market (ironically across the street from WM).
    I don't even look at their flyers.
    I don't patronize Costco and Sam's closed a few years ago. No way am I paying to have the "privilege" of buying stuff in a store.
    Here minimum wage is $10.50/hr and we have health care.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    So quit and go get a job somewhere else. If you need full time, you should have quit within the first month, if you weren't getting it. If there aren't any jobs, then move, or start your own business cleaning houses, mobile car washes, yardwork, child care, decorating, baking desserts for restaurants, etc, join the military or something else. Even tiny, rural towns usually have access to military recruiters. They'll pay your transport to basic training.
    No one is forced to work for WM. They are paying wages that are legal according to our laws. If you don't like it, then change where you work. If they can't find employees, they'll increase pay, hrs, or benefits to attract more employees.
    Jut because it's legal, doesn't make it right. It's not right to encourage your workers to get government assistance instead of paying them a bit more so they are making a decent living. Remember, that's also a burden on YOU, the taxpayers.

For the record I am looking for a different job. I started working at Wal-Mart when I started college and have been the entire time. It wasn't this terrible in the beginning, it was actually enjoyable and got all my hours. While I'm graduating and (hopefully) leaving, a lot of others don't have that option available to them so easily, and they have been working there for far longer than me. It's not that easy to quit and find a job when you have been there for 10+ years like some. It's really crappy to repay those associates that have been loyal for so long by cutting their hours and taking their benefits away, and just treating them like dirt in general. The company is insanely profitable, there really is no reason for it, other than to keep lining the pockets of the upper management and executives more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmedHope View Post
    Jut because it's legal, doesn't make it right. It's not right to encourage your workers to get government assistance instead of paying them a bit more so they are making a decent living. Remember, that's also a burden on YOU, the taxpayers.

For the record I am looking for a different job. I started working at Wal-Mart when I started college and have been the entire time. It wasn't this terrible in the beginning, it was actually enjoyable and got all my hours. While I'm graduating and (hopefully) leaving, a lot of others don't have that option available to them so easily, and they have been working there for far longer than me. It's not that easy to quit and find a job when you have been there for 10+ years like some. It's really crappy to repay those associates that have been loyal for so long by cutting their hours and taking their benefits away, and just treating them like dirt in general. The company is insanely profitable, there really is no reason for it, other than to keep lining the pockets of the upper management and executives more and more.
    If people have been working someplace for 10 years, it can't be that bad and the benefit to them, of working there outweighs going someplace else. A minimum wage/low wage part time job should be seen as a stepping stone/transitional, or entry level job. Not a career unless you don't aspire to have more.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    If people have been working someplace for 10 years, it can't be that bad and the benefit to them, of working there outweighs going someplace else. A minimum wage/low wage part time job should be seen as a stepping stone/transitional, or entry level job. Not a career unless you don't aspire to have more.
    How would you tell the difference between a job that was "not that bad" and the only one the person could get?

Say, for example, dual-income family with one adult who has a "real job" that does good things like provide health insurance and a retirement plan but doesn't allow the family to make ends meet?

The person holding the Walmart job could aspire to plenty and/or take whatever Walmart was offering not because he/she thought it was good enough but because the cost of leaving that job was too great.

I have moved among states and even across the country for jobs. But I gave up a lot in my life in order to be able to do that within minimal damage to other people like an SO or kids. Then and now, I figured that I had better be prepared to follow the money if I had to.

It's hard and expensive to restart your life in a new place. I see why people take sh!tty jobs in the place they already live.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

8 members found this post helpful.

There's also this thing called fear right now. If you have a job don't "F" it up - could be a while before you can get another one. Especially if you're a certain age or gender. Corporations are well aware of this. Ask me how I know......

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    How would you tell the difference between a job that was "not that bad" and the only one the person could get?

Say, for example, dual-income family with one adult who has a "real job" that does good things like provide health insurance and a retirement plan but doesn't allow the family to make ends meet?

The person holding the Walmart job could aspire to plenty and/or take whatever Walmart was offering not because he/she thought it was good enough but because the cost of leaving that job was too great.

I have moved among states and even across the country for jobs. But I gave up a lot in my life in order to be able to do that within minimal damage to other people like an SO or kids. Then and now, I figured that I had better be prepared to follow the money if I had to.

It's hard and expensive to restart your life in a new place. I see why people take sh!tty jobs in the place they already live.

12 members found this post helpful.

They didn't start as part time! They started as full time and were paid a decent wage and treated with respect. One of the lines they beat into your head in orientation is "respect for the individual," I have not seen that for a long long time. I work with quite a few that started with the company when Sam Walton was still alive and differences in how the employees were treated then and how they are treated now are night and day. Now they are trying to get rid of all the full time, hourly associates that are not hourly supervisors, so they can replace them with cheaper part time employees. This only started recently, and it's hard to find a job when Wal-Mart is all that you've known your entire working life and you've worked your way up to a comfortable wage. It's not right to treat your long time employees so horribly that they want to quit, simply because they are making to much money.

10 members found this post helpful.

How about you get on here and tell me why asking for a liveable wage is horrible instead of pussying out behind the little red thumbs down button.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

But in your example, if they take that job, and stay there, the benefits outweigh the downside. Maybe they like the flexible hrs, closeness to home, etc. Because if they just need to make the equivelant of min wage/part time money, there ARE other things that people can do, even in small towns...cleaning, ironing, embroidery, dog walking, babysitting, pet sitting, car washing, pooper scoopering, distributing flyers for companies, holding signs at the intersections for business ads, window washing, weeding/lawn mowing, snow shoveling, etc. Or a combination of those. In rural areas, field work.
    If it was terrible working there, people would not do it. Because there are other ways to make an equal amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Can I ask an honest question? I'm not intending to be rude or insensitive, but I've never shopped at Wal-Mart and probably haven't been in one in at least 10 years.

How much money can you really be saving? One poster mentioned that cat litter is too expensive at her local store—how much more qualifies as too expensive? $1? $2?
    I'm not trying to be a reverse snob here either, Ridge, but when you live on a budget sometimes you just don't HAVE that kind of option. I did not want to, and started out not doing so, but I do buy my meds at Wal-Mart. Understand that these meds make it possible for me to do things like get out of a chair, get into and out of a car, WALK, and therefore hold down a full-time job. The price differential between the meds at Drug Store A and Wal-Mart is $45.00/mo. to $15.00/mo. My PCP was actually the one who suggested buying my meds there, and I was stunned by the price differential. It may be difficult for you to understand that for a single person living alone in the rural South, that $30/mo. pays for FOOD for TWO WEEKS. So I do my grocery shopping elsewhere but I certainly do use the Wal-Mart Pharmacy. I can't afford not to.

With all of that said, however, I do support the Wal-Mart strikers, b/c I don't see why Wal-Mart cannot pay a living wage.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

4 members found this post helpful.

While I admit that I have shopped at Walmart, I've recently stopped and am truly making an effort to shop local. But besides that, after doing a very detailed price comparison, my local grocery store is less expensive than Walmart, not to mention the quality of the meats, produce, etc from Walmart is usually fairly low compare to the grocery stores.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

4 members found this post helpful.

I think that this is such a complex issue. Many people are stuck on Walmart's employment policies, but look at War Admiral's prescription meds- she needs to buy them as cheaply as possible. But she hates Walmart. Even though she shops there. (Love ya, War Admiral!)

Looking around at this moment, my life is filled with cheap crap: lotions, potions, makeup, convenience items, pens, electronics, food items, clothing etc, etc, etc. I have way more crap than I really need. Someone has to produce, transport, unload, stock, sell all of that crap. We all have an insatiable appetite for cheap crap. If Walmart paid every single person along that crap chain a "living" wage with benefits, we wouldn't be able to buy the crap for cheap. So we're all culpable.

Cheap labor is now and has always been a part of our economy. Our lifestyle, every one of us, benefits from cheap labor. Unless you're a true homesteader, living off the land- you benefit from cheap labor.

Again, I don't have the answer, but I just think that folks don't look at the big picture when they paint the CEO's as the bad guys. Having said that, let's all buy local this weekend!

Don't forget that this tempest in a teapot is brought to you courtesy of a union's media blitz over the holidays, that is what is at the bottom of these demonstrations.

Labor disputes and unions involved in them?
    Lots of drama and photo ops for unions.
    The reality, anyone today can get a job or dump a job and keep looking.
    We really live in a free country, not a communist one, where you are assigned to a job and have to move and show up at the new place or you will be hunted down and shot, if you don't comply.
    Compared to that kind of society, our problems like these Walmart demonstrations seem a bit of a first world problem, window dressing only for union talk.

Even our very liberal media, that is on principle against big business of any kind, has been touching on that, it is so obvious no one can deny this is what this is all about.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    What about my post do you think is complete BS? I have a Master's degree, and I work with people who have Bachelor's and Master's degrees, as well as PhDs, and we ALL work all day as well as log on to complete our work together from home at night because none of us has enough time to do everything expected of us during business hours. We are regularly communicating through instant messenger until midnight or later to get things closed out on time. That's just how it is, and none of us feels like we're being treated like shit. We all just know that the job needs to get done and there aren't enough people to do it all between 9 AM and 5 PM.

I used to make minimum wage. That's because I didn't have the skills that made me worth any more than that to anyone. I was being paid what I deserved based on my skills at the time. I didn't like it, so I put out the effort to gain skills that would be worth to someone to pay me what I wanted to earn. It didn't happen overnight. But I didn't expect anyone to pay me what I wanted to earn simply because I wanted it. No one who works at Walmart HAS to work there forever. But almost anyone can get a job there as a means to learn enough to work his or her way to work towards something better in the future.
    I agree with Stolen

You clearly have not experienced the WalMart way. I spent many years working under conditions you describe as a salaried employee, as did my dear friend who is now a WalMart employee. He'd go back to the 80 hour weeks in a heartbeat over the current situation. I spent my honeymoon writing documents for my job.... nothing in that job could ever compare to what the Walmart folks go through. Yes, they get to leave their job at the door when they walk out, but is not just business as usual around there.

As far as gaining skills? My friend had a six figure job before, he has skills, but the opportunities are not out there right now, so Walmart it is. Better than nothing, but not by much. After deductions for health insurance (yes, they "provide" health insurance, but you pay for it and it isn't the greatest policy either), his take home doesn't come close to covering expenses. And he's one of the lucky ones that actually does get full time work as opposed the the poster above.

5 members found this post helpful.

Walmart does not force full time employees to become part time and lose their health insurance, that is ridiculous.

It is possible that if you want to restrict your availability at some point after your hire date that the only hours available would make you become part time (for example, saying that you could work weekends and evenings at your hire date, then changing your mind later). That would be the associate's choice. Full time employees are required to meet a certain number of hours each week to keep their full time status and they will not be scheduled below those hours.

The only time I have ever heard of a full time associate losing health insurance is if they make the choice to become part time. Like it or not you can't hire on for a company that does most of its business after 4pm and on the weekends and demand to not work during those times.

There are several different options for health insurance, with different deductables, out of pocket expenses, and doctor choices.

7 members found this post helpful.

I found it somewhat amusing that most of the strikers arent even Walmart employees, they are outsiders.

The Hostess debacle should be a wake up call. Keep striking and "bring Walmart to its knees". Do you think the Walton heirs will go broke? They will be perfectly fine. The 1+ million Walmart workers would be the only ones hurt. The few who did strike will change nothing at Walmart, the vast majority of people there want to keep their jobs. It beats being in the unemployment line (ask the 18,000 Hostess workers). When you are hired at Walmart, you know what your wages are. If you are unhappy with that, go somewhere else. Retail is hiring now, Ive seen it all over town.

I dont know what people think, the money Walmart workers make is perfectly acceptable for retail workers. They arent engineers, they are retail. Cashiers. The same as at supermarkets, Lowes, Home Depot, Kmart, Target, McDonalds, Subway. If they dont like it, get an education.

I have friends who work at Walmart. They also have a second job. And they go to school. They are motivated to get ahead. They never considered working at Walmart to be their career. If people are unhappy, make a change. If it were as bad as the few would tell you, you'd have a lot more people who are actual employees out on strike.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Costco stores have prices as low as Walmart but they pay their workers a living wage.

Starve the walmart beast and shop elsewhere.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...ly_Rate/by_Job

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...ly_Rate/by_Job

2 members found this post helpful.

You don't think 2% versus 13% isn't a big difference?

2 members found this post helpful.

That pay scale thing is a bunch of BS here is the one for the corporation I work for. BTW I make slightly less than 6 figures a year. I do have to work holidays, weekends, overnights etc.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...SX_Corp/Salary

I belong to a union, that I don't like a lot of times, but the benifits do outweigh the crappy politics that go with it.

Funny thing is, DH just got promoted to a manager, complete with fancy title. IF he gets the maximum for all of his bonuses (which they all ready told him he won't) he would make a few thousand less than I made this year. Why? Because he is on salary, and all of the weekends, holidays and nights at home going over emails etc are just part of his job.

I agree with the others its a job, they often times suck. If you don't like it, find something elsewhere.

Also the above referenced company will hire conductors and the requirements are an 8th grade reading level and a GED, ability to pass a drug test, strength test, background check and physical. They do prefer people who have worked on call, or have done farm work. This job starts at about 50k a year, health benefits the day you start ($200 a month for your entire family) dental and vision after a year.
    However you will be treated like crap, you will be expected to work all hours of the day and night, holidays, weekends etc.

And if you so choose they will pay for your education.

I think there is a lot of whining over wal mart. The big corporation is mean to me mentality that I am seeing is getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    I'm not trying to be a reverse snob here either, Ridge, but when you live on a budget sometimes you just don't HAVE that kind of option. I did not want to, and started out not doing so, but I do buy my meds at Wal-Mart. Understand that these meds make it possible for me to do things like get out of a chair, get into and out of a car, WALK, and therefore hold down a full-time job. The price differential between the meds at Drug Store A and Wal-Mart is $45.00/mo. to $15.00/mo. My PCP was actually the one who suggested buying my meds there, and I was stunned by the price differential. It may be difficult for you to understand that for a single person living alone in the rural South, that $30/mo. pays for FOOD for TWO WEEKS. So I do my grocery shopping elsewhere but I certainly do use the Wal-Mart Pharmacy. I can't afford not to.

With all of that said, however, I do support the Wal-Mart strikers, b/c I don't see why Wal-Mart cannot pay a living wage.
    You can't have it both ways. You can get your meds there because they are so much cheaper, and then want the strikers to get more money. Its math.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    I found it somewhat amusing that most of the strikers arent even Walmart employees, they are outsiders.

The Hostess debacle should be a wake up call. Keep striking and "bring Walmart to its knees". Do you think the Walton heirs will go broke? They will be perfectly fine. The 1+ million Walmart workers would be the only ones hurt. The few who did strike will change nothing at Walmart, the vast majority of people there want to keep their jobs. It beats being in the unemployment line (ask the 18,000 Hostess workers). When you are hired at Walmart, you know what your wages are. If you are unhappy with that, go somewhere else. Retail is hiring now, Ive seen it all over town.

I dont know what people think, the money Walmart workers make is perfectly acceptable for retail workers. They arent engineers, they are retail. Cashiers. The same as at supermarkets, Lowes, Home Depot, Kmart, Target, McDonalds, Subway. If they dont like it, get an education.

I have friends who work at Walmart. They also have a second job. And they go to school. They are motivated to get ahead. They never considered working at Walmart to be their career. If people are unhappy, make a change. If it were as bad as the few would tell you, you'd have a lot more people who are actual employees out on strike.
    Do you really know the facts behind the Hostess closing? That this is the 2nd bankruptcy, that the workers, over the years, have given up pay and benefits? That the corporation was bought out by a private equity firm that loaded it up with more debt and management fees but made no changes to make it more profitable? That before the bankruptcy filing, the CEO was awarded a 300% pay increase and the executives 80 to 100% increases? That the corporation hadn't been paying into the worker's pension fund for a year?

You can't blame this one on a union...you can blame it on bad management.

As far as "if things were as bad as the few would tell you, you'd have a lot more people who are actual employees out on strike." They're afraid, afraid of losing the only job they have and maybe the only job available to them...did you forget, we have an unemployment problem.

Do you not care that the taxpayer has to subsidize the low wage Walmart worker with food stamps, medicaid, housing benefits and tax credits? We pay, we just don't pay at the store.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

7 members found this post helpful.