The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Charles Owen inserts?

Does anyone know if they have inserts or anything to go in the helmet to tighten it up a bit around the head. I just did the keratin treatment on my hair, and cut off a lot of it (6"!!), so I have a feeling that its going to fit a little looser on my head now.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but it sounds like you need a new helmet.

2 members found this post helpful.

Could you ask a tack shop for a CO foam helmet-fitting strip (if they're a CO retailer?)

When I bought my CO, the tack shop cut a few strips of this thin, dense foam with an adhesive backing off a roll to put in to tighten up my helmet (the CO rep recommended putting in the back of the helmet, not the front). I was in-between sizes--one size down pinched and the next one up was slightly loose. They only gave me 1 strip, explaining that if I needed more than that, the helmet was too big. The foam strips were directly from CO, so it seems to be a pretty common occurance.

If you can't ask a shop, the CO foam strips were about the thickness and density of the thin craft "fun foam" that you can buy at Hobby Lobby & other craft stores. You could probably cut your own strip from a fun foam sheet--they may even have sheets with adhesive backing.

Warning: If you put in one strip front & back, and the helmet still shifts around, you'll most likely need a new helmet.

I hope not c'est moi! I just got it from the Accident forgiveness program!

I'm going to ask my local tack store if they have anything like that Storybook. Thanks for the suggestion!

Or you can use panty liners if it's just a little bit loose. Sounds gross, but whatevs. Works. I used it in lesson helmets one summer to try to keep them de-stinkified, and noticed they tightened them up just a little bit.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I always thought the inserts looked for all the world like adhesive backed foam weatherstripping you can buy at any big box store or hardware store.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

It is far more dense than weather stripping.

You can get "anti rock blocks" made by CO.