The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default This year I'm thankful for:

A bit early-but with busy days ahead... This year I'm thankful for my husband's and my health, a paid for house and cars, secure job-mine-he's semi-retired, wonderful family and friends, great horse that I ride in lessons, a wonderful trainer and friend, our service men and women who keep us free and safe, my husband of almost 25 years-next month!, the large turkey, thawing, for Thanksgiving dinner, and fun with friends. What are you thankful for?
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

We're thankful our gifts finally got out of customs and got to Eleanor's house.

We're thankful we have all year been healthy and only needed the vet for spring and fall shots. Which hurt, but we needed them.

I'm so thankful to be blessed with an understand DH, who dutifully watches the baby after he's put in a 16 hour day, just so I can go ride my horse. He doesn't complain about vet bills, Horze reciepts, and has given up weekends so I can attend clinics and events. He's my #1 fan and support system and I don't know what I'd do without him.

I'm also so very, very thankful for my BO/trainer who co-owned Willow with a fellow boarder. They selflessly have given me the oppurtunity of a lifetime in her, one that I never, ever, dreamed of having. They still continue to support, lend advice, and cheer us on through all the ups and downs. I'm going to be miserable leaving them!

Finally, I'm thankful for all you ladies and gents here! You've been a lifeline more than once.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm thankful for a loving DH who understands my passion, for 2 healthy children, for the pets (dogs and horse) who give me peace, for a full belly, a cozy roof over my head, for good friends, and for those that serve our great nation.

I'm thankful for my husband's continued health (pushing seven years since his cancer diagnosis), my two amazing sons (esp that the younger one, Chris, has recovered so quickly from fracturing his neck on 10/3), my amazing extended family, my wealth of unbelievably wonderful friends, my horses: Jet, Jess, Jula, and pony Polly, as well as Jett (loaned to me by a local COTH'r while my Jet is being treated for some fetlock issues), my dogs Sidda and Wrigley, and my job that provides me with both the means and the time to fully enjoy my blessings. I am far more fortunate than anyone deserves to be.

I'm thankful for my horse. He's been with me one week as of tomorrow morning, and I adore him! So thankful!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I'm thankful for my "crazy" TB heart horse, who was an absolute saint while I was recovering from my back injury and knew I was recovered enough to ride with full capability before I did... and let me know by removing his halo. He keeps things interesting and fun and has pushed me to improve far more than I knew I could in such a short time.

I'm thankful for my little rescue mare who has the coolest personality of any horse I've ever known; I feel for her that she was not cared for when injured as a youngster, but lucky that I get to have her in my life.

I'm thankful my new prospect wasn't purchased over the 2 years I followed her growth and development, and that I was the one lucky enough to buy her.

I'm thankful for a job with great coworkers and bosses which allows me to afford the horses and work flexible hours when needed.

Really, I'm thankful for far more things than I could possibly list. I'm just lucky.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I'm thankful for finally getting to be a HO this year after waiting 25 years! Worth the wait!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

4 members found this post helpful.

I have so much to be thankful for I could not *possibly* list them all. My health, my family (chosen and not), my pets, my job, the country I live in, the fact that at some point I will be able to retire are just a few.

Quote Originally Posted by netg;6676330[B
    Really, I'm thankful for far more things than I could possibly list. I'm just lucky[/B].
    Me, too! But to start, dear husband, family, horses, dogs, cats, cockatiel, friends, my lovely (in an understated way) farm, the life I lead. I am SO blessed.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

I have so many things to be thankful for, I am incredibly blessed. This past spring I sold my pony of a lifetime because I had outgrown him and was headed to college in the fall. I am so thankful I found a little girl who loves him just as much as I do. Saying good-bye was hard, but it's worth it when I see pictures of them competing or get a phone call with her wanting to tell me all about her latest lesson.
    I am thankful that I get to see my horse for the first time in 12 weeks in less than 9 hours!
    I am thankful to be a member of the UMass Dressage team, I have wonderful teammates and being able to ride twice a week is keeping me sane!
    I am so thankful for all my new friends at college, especially my roommate and best friend! She tolerates all my horse stuff in the room without complaint and he has come to every show to support me. Couldn't do it without them!
    I am thankful for everything in my life, friends, family, pets. Truly I am blessed.

SO many things. I'm grateful that I finally worked up the guts to get back on a horse after two long years. Along with that, I'm thankful for my trainer and for the privilege to be able to spend time with such special creatures as horses. I'm thankful that I have a job that pays well, for not having a college degree--not only that, a job that I take pride in and often genuinely enjoy. My health is good with just a few 'tweaks'. I have a loving husband who supports me in every way.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

I am so blessed. Much to be thankful for!
    My job, which allows me to live frugally, but do everything that needs to be done...and have horses...and a vacation here and there.

My horses. Bess (OTTB), who is 21 and semi-retired. We enjoy our trailrides and she is such a good trailhorse. Pal (TB/Lusitano), who continues to be my professor and takes it up a level whenever I am ready to try something new. My dressage coaches, one who reminds me that the basics never go out of style; the other, who reminds me that it's also important to push to a new level.

My health, which allows my 43 year old body to do everything it needs to do and also dabble in fun things like triathlons and swims across a lake.

My home, which wouldn't be so wonderful without Jack (dog), Molly and Winky (cats) as well as the horses...and the froggies who hang out on the porch in the summer...and the deer who walk across the pasture...and the wild turkeys who meander here and there when it suits them...and Athena the great horned owl.

My friends, in person or online, who are great to hang out with and also offer help and advice when needed.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Thumbs up

I'm thankful for my vet practice and all the help I've had not only from the Vet's but the tech's and the office gals!

I'm also very thankful my brother is NOT coming to visit me after all!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I am thankful for a DH who does not understand whay on earth I want to show but supports it and is determined that I have a top quality horse next year! I am thankful that I have a trainer that pushes me out of my comfort zone and reminds me to relax and have fun!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I'm thankful that I have the opportunity to ride again, which includes being thankful for my parents letting me live with them & my job that makes paying for my lease horse and riding lessons possible. Had a beautiful ride this morning with the barn owner & pony was a very good boy in the tack. He needs some work on ground manners though, which I guess I'm also thankful for because ground work something I enjoy & am good at. While I'm at it, I'm thankful his owner is so friendly and easy to work with & everyone at the barn is lovely.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I am so very thankful for my family, friends, and clients that have supported me through a tremendous year of change. Last November, I began my professional career as an animal communicator (switching from 13 years as a Hunter/Jumper trainer). Everyone has been so wonderful (I understand it is not for everyone), and they have all remained in my life. I couldn't be more blessed than I am today, and thank you to this board for all the information, entertainment, and friendships that I have found here. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving to all!!
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

Thankful that after fourteen months off, and a guarded prognosis for recovery, my TB is sound at the walk, trot and canter. We have not yet tried jumping, but the general feeling now is that he will make a full recovery. I'm thankful for my trainer, barn staff and vets who guided me on this journey and did everything possible to help him recover. Thankful for my DH who didn't once complain about the vet bills, and extra barn services, and who quietly sat on the sidelines today as I rode.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Born American, now Canadian, so I guess I get to be thankful twice a year!

Thankful that after a 30+ year absence from riding, I got the opportunity to start again (through work of all things!), thankful for my trainer who had become an incredible friend as well, thankful for her incredibly trained horses who have babied me through my re-entry to riding. Thankful for my neighbour whose horses I have admired from afar for years, who upon finding out that I'm riding again, invited me to start exercising his two 20 year old Arabians for him, thankful for miles and miles of trails and bush roads to explore with these two, and most of all thankful that my DH thinks it's great that is 50 year old wife has turned into a horse obsessed teenager again and turns a blind eye to the near total absence of housework this summer!