The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oldest rider/whip?

I'm often the oldest person I know in our local horse world. I'm 65.5. Just wondering if there's any COTH people older than that. And how about seniors that ride at your barn...any?

you are just a young whippersnapper!
    I'm seventy two and most days I think i'm young whippersnapper, too!
    Sadly don't hunt anymore as our club had to shut down due to subdivisions, etc.
    Don't event or show anymore, can't afford it, but I still hit those trails .
    My best friend is seventy four and she IS slowing down on her riding but I think that has more to do with her brand new husband . Maybe when he isn't new and shiney anymore she'll get back in the saddle more like she should.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

6 members found this post helpful.

Love Love Love your post!!! I plan to still be riding at 85...will re-evaluate at that time.

Considering I was given 2 years to live in 1992, I think I'm good to go!!

Love your comment about the new husband/shiny, etc.

2 members found this post helpful.

I had to share that on my FB page!

My BO is going to be celebrating her 75th birthday in spring. She rides the trails and attends hunts still, but walks the 'high road' as she calls it. No more running with the foxes for her.

1 members found this post helpful.

Smile

I will be 69 in January. I event novice and do some adult amateur hunters quite successfully. On the same wonderful horse.!!!! Haul on my own, do most of my own care. It's what keeps me going!
    Last edited by mtnmomma; Nov. 17, 2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: misspelling
    vintage eventer

3 members found this post helpful.

I know someone that competes at Advanced in combined driving with a pair of fantastic Warmbloods and he is 75. You sure wouldn't know though.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

William Shatner. Everybody knows him and he is what? 80 something? Still driving at ASB shows.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Great responses. So GLAD I started the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    William Shatner. Everybody knows him and he is what? 80 something? Still driving at ASB shows.
    AND riding 5 gaited horses!

Yes I ride with a 70+ year old and she's still jumping around two foot like its nothing!

Hiroshi Hoketsu was riding in the dressage ring as a 71 yrs old at the London Olympics. This was his third Olympic presence.

Ian Millar was riding in the jumping ring, placing in the top 10 at 65 yrs old, at the London Olympics. This was his tenth Olympic presence! And he's seriously considering going to Rio in 2016!

Mary King ran for the silver medal on the eventing field at the last Olympic at the young age of 51. It was her sixth Olympic games.

Just 3 examples of how extraordinary our sport is!

3 members found this post helpful.

My friend and mentor was 78 when she passed away. Riding (even a 25 miler a few years before) and showing until the end. I'm in my 60's and am still riding a fairly hot, green horse along with my all rounder. Although I've got to stop falling off him or my husband won't let me ride him anymore! LOL

CFfarm...that's where I am with my big dressage horse who is resentful of 'leg on'. I had my sternum removed 8 years ago as part of a cardiac infection so when he dumped me we decided "Okay, enough of him!" That's when I went western. I still came off once but it was slower and gentler.

The regulars- the members who are there EVERY Weds and weekend day- in my hunt are card carrying members of the 60 and older club. Two are in their 80's. At age 53 I'm a youngin' to them and don't dare say after a hunt "whew, I am tired."

The gimps and limps from a long life well lived aren't visible when someone is astride a horse; when on our horses we all look like ballerinas.

There was a post about this on the Hunting site about a month ago. I believe Melvin Poe, the master of the hunt at Orange County Hounds, is 93 and still hunting. (Maybe Hunter's Rest will chime in to confirm or deny.) So, you have quite a ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by cheval convert View Post
    There was a post about this on the Hunting site about a month ago. I believe Melvin Poe, the master of the hunt at Orange County Hounds, is 93 and still hunting. (Maybe Hunter's Rest will chime in to confirm or deny.) So, you have quite a ways to go.
    Melvin is awesome. I hung out with him at Upperville for a bit. He's more spry than I am. How sad is that?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

We have a member in our hunt who has hunted for 65 years. She went out with hounds 67 times last year.

She goes 2nd flight, but will come up to first if there aren't any jumps. She knows the territory, so if she's running with 1st and we come to a coop she can find her way around and pick back up with first or second.

Her sense of fox and hound and territory is amazing.

There are many other members that are card carrying senior citizens. Some of them ride 1st, some ride 2nd. (Although sometimes I think second can be a bit hairier due to the fact that you have to go around and go a bit faster to catch up.)

Woman I bought my mare from is 74 and rides & shows, a great rider on a little arab mare with a mind of her own.

Another woman that comes to our barn is 75. She has a bunch of horses at home that she takes care of & trailers all over kingdom come on her own.

Our trainer is about your age. She is in better shape than I am, 25 yrs her junior.

Guy that boards my horse for me is 70, rides all time & takes care of the farm, including mucking stalls and slinging hay everyday. My dad does the same stuff, same age

so, quite a few role models for me.

ETA: I only know these guys ages b/c they tell me. Otherwise I would have never guessed.

I feel young at 63
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.