The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Angry Would you consider this "vicious or terrorizing" or does it look like fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C09YC5wO73I

Grrrrrr....I am sick and tired of these nasty little SOBs. I am done being patient. Beginning with this incident, and from now on, I will record and report each and every violation of dogs running at large.

While waiting for law enforcement to respond, I am amusing myself by speculating on the number of petty offenses in addition to "running at large" that might apply.

Per the law:

Subsection (1) (d) Approached in a Vicious or Terrorizing Manner

The owner’s dog, whether on or off the owner’s premises, approaches any person in an apparent attitude of attack and/or in a vicious or terrorizing manner.

Okay, back out to fetch the horses from the field -- with camera in hand.

4 members found this post helpful.

Absolutely...I take it you were on your horse at the time? Could create a very dangerous situation for a rider...

2 members found this post helpful.

"Vicious or terrorizing"? Not really.

Pain in the ass and a potential danger (say, if a person were riding a flightier, more sensitive horse)? Yes. Especially given that there are two of them. I think the bottom line is that they just shouldn't be loose, period.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

19 members found this post helpful.

Nope. They look like beagles being beagles, sniffin' around and baying that they've found something interesting.

Annoying, yes. Aggressive? Not to my eyes. If they came at me like that while I was on a horse I'd turn my horse and chase them. Usually works like a charm to make the dogs re-think things.

23 members found this post helpful.

Seemed to be hounds acting like idiot hounds. That said, I would have turned my horse on them and chased. I ran many a dog off that way while trail riding.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    "Vicious or terrorizing"? Not really.

Pain in the ass and a potential danger (say, if a person were riding a flightier, more sensitive horse)? Yes. Especially given that there are two of them. I think the bottom line is that they just shouldn't be loose, period.
    Agree, I ride out alot and come across this often...trained my horse a (senstive spinner TB )to not fret and walk calmly to avoid any chase instinct in dogs. I laugh to keep my anxiety at bay. Many of us trail riders carry doggy biscuits in case a problem.

Been a trail rider for many years and have had countless encouters of these kind and taught myself not to worry and my horses then never react more than a little startle then continue on the ride. Granted the little nappy tail biters make that difficult.

I take the loose dogs over the nasty poor "shoot" hunters in our area at least.

Perhaps you should post this on the Hunting forum and they can tell you everything these hounds are doing wrong to give you ammo for a formal complaint.
    Even I in my abysmal ignorance of hunting protocol know that hounds should not bay at the horses.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

1 members found this post helpful.

They don't look vicious to me but it could potentially create a dangerous situation. The owners of those dogs are obviously not very responsible people.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Nope. They just looking annoying as heck to me. I'm with the ones who would turn the tables on them and chase them all the way back home if your horse will go along with it. Now THAT would be fun and mine would love it.
    Did you show the video to the owner?
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Yes, I was riding my older horse and I have trained him to tolerate dogs. My younger mare would not have handled it so well.

I did give chase once to the female and she ran back home, but this is the first time they have both run up on me. I don't know if it would be a good idea in general to chase a dog on horseback, because it might ignite the fight in the dog and make matters worse.

I realize that beagles are not reputed to be aggressive, but the male is in-tact and his expression is rather deranged -- he has approached me in this manner while on foot and did not seem to be "all there," so I don't want to take any chances. Right now my goal is to collect as much evidence as I can, and running them off might interfere with that.

Besides, running them off does not discourage them coming over here at night and running around my house and barn barking. I suspect they were responsible for killing two of my barn cats.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    Did you show the video to the owner?
    No but I submitted it with my complaint to the animal control department of my local law enforcement agency.

The owners are well aware -- they just don't care.

In the meantime, can you carry a water pistol? Like a super, super soaker? Add some hot sauce in with the water and spray the ding-dongs. That's what I've done with our neighbors obnoxious freak dogs and it works pretty well to back them off.

Beagles can be so much fun, or the BIGGEST PITA.
    Last edited by Superminion; Nov. 17, 2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

6 members found this post helpful.

Agree with the not vicious or aggressive but absolutely annoying.!!! For the wrong horse this is a recipe for disaster.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

It is not aggressive but not acceptable either. If you're going to let your dogs off leash you damn well better be with them and aware of them 100% of the time. We are not fenced in and have 2 dogs who go off leash but they are never unsupervised while they are out and they are well trained. If I say "leave it!" they know I mean bussiness and they better leave whatever it is they were doing, alone. I also don't have flighty horses so if something is in the pasture and bothering my horses they will give chase and make sure it never happens again but it shouldn't have to be your problem to have to worry about someone elses lack of training/care so I agree with reporting each offense. The owners may not care the first or second time but when those fines start adding up I'm sure you'll suddenly see the "problem" disappear.

ETA - I think paintball guns have been mentioned before in these forums. While I don't always agree with the use of them, I think it would be nice to have something that isn't going to kill but get the point across should the dogs escalate.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Vicious, no. Aggressive, maybe. Annoying, yes.
    If they're on your property doing it, you're within rights to complain.

And I also think they'll leave if chased by the horse.

Though, as you say, doesn't help if they're stalking your cats at night...though missing cats would more likely be coyote.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

If they were on my property, I'd tell them to go home. With every random dog that has come through here (they come to swim in my pond) that has worked. It amazes me that every dog seems to understand what GET!!!!!!!!!!! means. If it were not my property, then I'd expect my horse (and me!) to handle it. I wouldn't ride a horse that couldn't handle a couple of barking, annoying small dogs. We have encountered one large, aggressive dog in all our years of riding, and Jess kicked the crap out of it when it bit her on the butt. Problem solved.

They are trying to get the horse to play. Not fun for you. I would chase them, and learn how to handle a whip. Make it not fun for them. The more you retreat, the more they will give chase.

7 members found this post helpful.

The dogs were not, IMO, "vicious" or "terrorizing." They were hounds (Beagles?) acting like hounds and wanting to chase a prey (you/your horse). They were not looking to "attack," they were looking to "flush" some game.

Do you know who they belong to? If so a phone call would be appropriate. If that doesn't work catch the little buggers next time they come over and then call A/C and turn them over, along with the owner's name and phone number. Maybe A/C will just take them back home and maybe they'll get "booked" and the owner will have to pay the costs of the capture and booking and processing. Either way should get the owner's attention.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Tell them to go home, eh? They have been told many times, including with the loving encouragement of a blast of bird shot. They demonstrate zero ability to learn.

That's why I want the owners to be ticketed and fined. Hopefully they will be directed to keep the dogs fenced in on their own property, and then they will have the joy and pleasure of listening to the continuous barking. All. Night. Long.

Frankly, I am surprised they have survived this long. Most loose dogs do not fare well around here.

I am surprised some here would not consider two dogs running at their horse's hind legs aggressive -- you did watch the entire video? At any rate, the animal control officers are very good, and they are also horse people, so I think they will understand.

ETA: Yes, I know the owners. Yes, I have called them many times. No, I have not been able to catch the little shits.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    Nope. They look like beagles being beagles, sniffin' around and baying that they've found something interesting.

Annoying, yes. Aggressive? Not to my eyes. If they came at me like that while I was on a horse I'd turn my horse and chase them. Usually works like a charm to make the dogs re-think things.
    That's what I do. Jet thinks it's fun to chase dogs, birds, etc.