The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The heated (electric) water hoses??

Anyone used one? I'm willing to buy one but they are expensive, and I'd like to hear from someone who has used or researched them .
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I have one. I got it for Christmas 2 years ago, after my drained hose was frozen and my son was home helping me...and he learned I wanted one while helping me carry buckets. I use it in the freezing months and it does seem to work.

Directions say you should still drain it, but you don't have to be as obsessive about doing the 3x drain + blow out the hose in case a few drops freeze. I don't leave it plugged in, it takesk 5-10 minutes to thaw.

It is very stiff due to the wires, so harder to coil up.

It is close to time to bring mine down from the loft and swap it out for the non heated hose.

Will it reel onto a hose rack? Or will it overpower the rack?

Which hose did you get?
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I bought one last year, as did my sister. We are both very happy with them. I think the instructions say not to use them with a hose reel. I don't think you can roll them that tight because of the heating coils in the hose. They are stiff and heavy. I bought a valve for the end of mine that i can just turn off and on and not have to hold the handle of a sprayer.

I like my ThermoHose. Shop around because prices vary a lot between different merchants. I got a short one that just reaches my water trough and buckets. The bigger ones seemed a bit heavy and unwieldy. It is nice to not have to drag a frozen hose to the house to thaw, and then clean up the mess, just because I didn't blow it out carefully.

well, i sure hope they are wonderful, because i just ordered a 100' one ..........

They are wonderful!
    We use ours to get the water to the other end of the barn. We have it suspended from the rafters by hooks (which also makes it fairly easy to drain). The ends will wear out, just like any other hose. But we got ours here http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?...64826XE2913829 and they have been very good about replacing worn out ones still under the warranty period. Keep your order info! They are just too expensive to be replacing willy-nilly.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

That sounds like the suicide showers that they have in Costa Rica...
    I sure am lucky I am a CA girl... that sounds way too cold!
    www.jazcreek.com
    Specialized Equine Rehabilitation and Fitness in the Wine Country

These look good, and the 50ft is on sale now.

However, they are in Vermont, and I would imagine the shipping to Canada would be expensive.

Hoses are on my mind right now, as I drag hoses out to fill the trough, and then drag them back into the barn to keep them from freezing, and carry buckets out of frustration.... and we have at least another month of this to go.
    My shoulders just can't take it!

I thought there was a thread a while back about a lightweight collapsible hose, but I searched for it and nothing came up.
    Did I imagine this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    They are wonderful!
    We use ours to get the water to the other end of the barn. We have it suspended from the rafters by hooks (which also makes it fairly easy to drain). The ends will wear out, just like any other hose. But we got ours here http://www.drpower.com/prdSell.aspx?...64826XE2913829 and they have been very good about replacing worn out ones still under the warranty period. Keep your order info! They are just too expensive to be replacing willy-nilly.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Will it reel onto a hose rack? Or will it overpower the rack?
    You cannot use it on a hose rack. It will damage the hose and i'm sure the rack too. I find mine to be very heavy and difficult to drag around. It tends to want to stay in the shape it is coiled into. Since I'm down to three horses I normally just carry water. When I had five horses the hose was easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I thought there was a thread a while back about a lightweight collapsible hose, but I searched for it and nothing came up.
    Did I imagine this thread?
    No, you did not imagine it. The thread was removed because it became apparent that the OP was simply advertising a product they had something to do with.
    A new thread was started. It is here
    Last edited by trubandloki; Jan. 28, 2013 at 08:18 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.

I asked about it after the thread was deleted and got quite a bit of response. Lots of us wanting imformation, with buyers of those hoses reporting in as they get some use with the no freeze hoses.

So far, the users seem rather happy about the features of lightness, easy connecting if you get the snap couplers. You do seem to need to drain the ends to prevent ice in the fittings. There is some whipping when you push water thru the hose, not enough weight to hold it down. That can be fixed with a spring clamp on a bucket or trough, to keep the end in place.

You need to get the bigger 3/4" diameter if you go distances of 100ft in hose length.

Here is the other thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ht=Freeze+Hose

I am getting these hoses up higher on my "need to own" list with each good response.