The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Fodder systems

I'm fascinated by the one that FarmTek sells.

Does anyone here have one or know anyone who has one? Not necessarily the FarmTek one. I've been told that its not completely rare in New Mexico.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I'm interested in this too...especially with the hay shortage.

The owners of the big training barn where my daughters ride has just ordered a large fodder system. She is going to use it at a 80+ horse facility. It's quite the big deal, I think the second one in the state. Can't wait to see it up and running. It's quite a big risk/ investment on a commercial level.

I've gotten interested in it (though more for the dairy goats and poultry than the horses), and found this DIY website. http://www.half-pinthomestead.com/

I have given to my horses and chickens wheat grass, organic, grown for health foodies. To my great surprise, the horses were not enthused, even in the middle of our northerly winter, when there is no other grass to be found.

What kind of grass is being grown in these systems specifically for horses?
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

I know a horse who gets fed that stuff on a regular basis - he's like a kid in a candy store when he eats it! He loves the stuff. On that note - he is one of those horses who constantly has mild colic symptons and is seen by the vets a lot. Never had enough that he has needed surgery but just enough to get the vets involved. His owner is always on top of things w/ him so she notices things right away. Any connection between the mild colic symptons and that feed? Who knows. He's the only one I ever seen being fed that (in addition to regular hay/grain). He's older and always looks great. I have no idea how much he gets as I don't see him that often. It is interesting feed though!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England