The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Virtual Horse Shopping is a very bad addiction -Don't do it!

I got Fella from John Adams out in Wiliamstown, PA. He gets some interesting draft and draft crosses and I occasionally browse his website. WHY? Why? So today he's got Randy, 15 year old short, broad, black Percheron.

http://www.adamshorsesales.com/services.html

My kind of horsie. $700. Damnit! So I'm trying to say my mantra: I have one butt, I need one horse. I don't want to pay $600 to board two horses. I have one butt, I need one horse. I don't want to pay $600 to board two horses.

I will not drive out to John's place to try out this boy. I will not drive out to John's place to try this boy.

But he's so cuuute. He's pretty well balanced front to back for a draft too.

I will not drive out to John's place to try out this boy. I will not drive out to John's place to try this boy.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Oh thanks a lot!

Now I want the mini!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Here's a good tip for self restraint. If you have to add "for a draft" or some other disclaimer on a statement... you don't want him. You already have one horse, why get a horse who is pretty well balanced "for a draft" when it's totally possible to find a draft who is well balanced, no qualifier?

Add to that, he's only suited "as a trail horse" doesn't sound like a horse who is likely to be diverse enough in skills for your many and varied interests.

(My disclaimer: I think there's value in just about every horse. I'm trying to help with the non-enabling I think Paula wants. )
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I appreciate the help. Problem is, "I like big butts and I cannot lie". Sigh. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually. But how cool he is.

Paula

1 members found this post helpful.

Oooh... I could have a big Willow and a little Willow. You are terrible Paula!

I think you should go check him out... I mean... Fella needs a friend, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I am doing the same... Having a lame horse will do that to you and yes, the Golden Morgan is currently lame.

I limit things quite a bit by only looking at Morgans (there are not a huge number out there!)... kind of like for clothes shopping online, if a company does not carry petite sizes I don't even look.

It doesn't help that the friend who hooked me up with the Golden Morgan in the first place feels bad for me and is also looking and forwarding me stuff... She is in Washington state, though... If her latest offering out there was in driving distance, I'd probably go look at him.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Very nice looking horse, but his feet look like they need some attention.. let us know when you go see him!! haha

Heck, I've gotten 2 yearlings that way! The first was totally an accident, just browsing Dreamhorse with no intentions at all of buying anything. He's 10 now. :-) The 2nd was sorta looking and he came home a few months later (he's 5 now). There is a lot of fun in having 2 horses. I ride pretty much every day of the week and don't have to wear out one horse to do it. If one is lame - Remy currently has an abscess - I still have one to ride. And they are such completely different horses in personality, work ethic and type that it's fun and interesting.

I say go look at him!

You people suck! OMG I'm going to have to call him and find out what the story is. Damn. His feet look like they need a trim, but they look pretty good for drafty feet. He's like a compact SUV.

Paula

Personally, I'd pass. Not a huge fan of Amish trained horses, plus not a big fan of plus sized feet (too hard to find a farrier and then $$$ to shoe). I don't see where he has many redeeming qualities. Yes, he's cheap, but a "normal" sized horse would likely be cheaper to maintain... and it sounds like a second horse is a stretch for you already financially.

So yeah, call me the voice of reason.

1 members found this post helpful.

Online shopping is very dangerous! Ask me how I know...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Thank you, Voice of Reason .

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I appreciate the help. Problem is, "I like big butts and I cannot lie". Sigh. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually. But how cool he is.

Paula

Big butts with no other standards toward anything else you want is a total waste of your money, though. A quality horse with great balance AND a big butt is just as easy to find as one who requires a qualifier.

You people suck! OMG I'm going to have to call him and find out what the story is. Damn. His feet look like they need a trim, but they look pretty good for drafty feet. He's like a compact SUV.

Paula
    Again with the qualifiers. Drafty horses should have GREAT feet, and those don't look "pretty good for drafty feet." If you want a second horse, set standards for yourself and don't just get a horse simply because he's there!

You CAN set standards for balance and quality and training making it inclined toward your admirable goals of an all-arounder, and find a horse with the big butt and type you adore who meets those standards.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I'm more tempted by the Mustang X gelding, Cherokee

I think I just like his way, his je ne sais quoi. Hinderella, John comes up with some interesting horses.

ETA: I think I know why I like him. This is who I used to run around on http://www.flickr.com/photos/5296733...in/photostream A black perch/qh mare. I guess I watch the video but am reacting to my Lily memories.

Paula

I like him. He's awfully cute.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Darnit I called and left a message. I hope he's got something wrong with him and that's why they're saying retired to trail riding. There are different kinds of trail riding; there's moseying a couple times a week on a short trail, and then there's competitive trail riding.

If there's nothing wrong with him I'm so screwed. I wonder if I can insure a 15 year old? I'll have to call my broker.

ETA I'm interested in the competitive trail riding type of trail riding.

Paula
    Last edited by paulaedwina; Nov. 5, 2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post
    Online shopping is very dangerous! Ask me how I know...
    LOL me too. I just purchased a Knabstrupper foal in utero because of this dang window shopping

Oh and I would purchase this girl (I REALLY like her) but the website is a bit of a turn off. Read the FAQ and Here
    http://www.virginiasporthorses.com/p...oducts_id=1200
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    LOL me too. I just purchased a Knabstrupper foal in utero because of this dang window shopping

Oh and I would purchase this girl (I REALLY like her) but the website is a bit of a turn off. Read the FAQ and Herehttp://www.virginiasporthorses.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=1200
    LOL! I betcha that wasn't no $700 window shoppin' neither

Paula

LOL! I betcha that wasn't no $700 window shoppin' neither

Paula
    No, it would have been nice if it was ! My inutero is very cheap considering and I got a payment plan so no complaints

ETA Randy is dang cute. What a sweet face I hate seeing these dang standing on the horse pics. Do normal horse ppl actually do this on a regular daily basis??? HMMMMMMMmmmmm?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"