The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Back on Track back pad

I have the BOT back pad for my mare and I want to sew it into a sheet so I can put it on her for a bit before I ride, after I ride or even turn her out in it for a bit.

My issue is I don't know the best way to sew/attach it to another sheet.

I'm hoping someone here has some ideas or even better, some pictures showing how they accomplished this feat!

Much thanks in advance. I am sewing inept

Am looking to buy these and attach them to blankets as well. My plan was to attach them to lighter weight waterproof turnouts so don't necessarily want to sew through, so can I glue the Velcro strips? And still be able to wash? My guys for sure would destroy the BOT sheet or blanket as they love to grab the edges of the front and pull/rip and find that only the Horseware blankets work for them.

I am sewing inept as well...

I managed to attach mine to my horse's sheet and I too didn't want to sew directly to the sheet itself and encourage a tear or loss of water repellency.

Luckily the back pad is fairly large, 3x3, and heavy for its size, and my horse is rather small, 14.3, wears a 74", so this worked out well for us.

The front of the pad had two BOT logo labels sewn on as loops, which happened to line up perfectly with the neck cover D's on the front of his rain sheet. I used bailing twine actually, and tied the loops to the Ds. I then used upholstery thread and upholstery needle and attached the pad to the sheet at the welting/binding around the neck opening only, not through the sheet itself, just binding to binding.

Due to how well the 3x3 pad covered my small horse, that was enough to keep it in place, and not shift very much even during overnight turnout and him rolling around. Again, I think a large part of our success was how well the pad fit over him and hung over his shoulders, it wasn't apt to flap around. It also helped that his rain sheet is also heavy duty and fit him really well. If the sheet itself had a tendency to slide or pull, it probably wouldn't have worked out as well as it did.

I did find that after a few consecutive days of wearing the pad, my back-issue horse did feel better.

That gave me the confidence to invest in the BOT RIME blankets for my horses when TOTD had them for half price. My guys are skilled blanket destroyers too, so I only put the BOT blankets on when its cold enough for them to wear it under a heavy duty sheet. The 1680 Pessoa sheets stand up to the abuse and protect the BOT blankets so far.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Velcro ladies. , sew or glue it onto the pad and the sheet.

Thanks Buck22, that was very helpful! And atlatl, I'm more than happy to hear that glue and Velcro will work - I think I can manage that and can set up multiple blankets to attack the pad to depending on the weather.

Just had a thought.... Could you buy a couple of knee/calf braces and cut them down the middle and fashion a neck cover? I just woke up, so haven't rationally thought through it yet.... Less expensive than neck cover though...