The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So relieved to hear all is well. Such a rough night for you!

Hopefully that will be the LAST time your folks ignore evac orders!

Well, I booked flights, but not sure I'll actually get there this weekend. Had very limited flight options since I am getting there on airline miles, and LaGuardia was the only airport available to me. Not sure LGA will be re-opened in time, the runways were completely submerged.

Plus the NYC marathon is this weekend. Given the number of runners from out of state and country, travel into and around the city is going to be crazy.

Glad to hear that only the basement flooded and hope the rest of the house and yard don't require massive cleanup too.

Do you really think they'll hold the marathon anyway? I can't imagine it myself.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

so far they're saying the show must go on. The near-complete lack of transportation makes it seem pretty impossible to me, but they pulled off the marathon 6 wks after 9/11 so they're no stranger to seriously adverse conditions. But 6wks is not the same as 5 days. Personally I think the strain on all of the city's services that the marathon would cause is not worth the civic pride. Just postpone it. (that said, as a marathoner myself, I'd be so disappointed to have done all that training, timed so you peak at just the right week, then taper down to race day, etc, and then not to race.)

Thank the good Lord they are OK! Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

Keep us posted on your trip to see them, cleanup, etc.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Default absolutely bone weary tired but weve gotten a lot of cleanup done

greetings from one of the destroyed towns on the jersey shore. it is just so overwhelming and you feel very small when you look at the work that needs to be done. But my two sisters and I, and a childhood friend of ours, all descended on my parents house to start the digging out, and we're feeling pretty good at the progress made.
    No water damage to their living area--just exterior and the basement, so that's really lucky that they can stay in the house. Most of the town is not that lucky. Dad;s got a generator running so we have heat and fridge, and enough elec to run one lights in 2 rms. (and can charge laptop/phone. We turn the gen off at night, so by morning it's pretty cold in the house. Gasoline is in short supply= we're down to 5 gallons so will have to find some tomorrow to keep gen'r running. But we hear the next town over has gasoline now, so not too worried. Pretty confident they'l get power within a day or two, and the town is getting a lot of Attention from FEMA so things are improving daily.
    Several hours of storm surge with large boats hitting against the house has cracked the foundation, so a structural engineer will be needed for sure. But it's definitely fixable. All cars totaled. The ground level of their house was the storage area, and they had it completely filled. Packrats, both of them. The storm surge knocked in the doors and they had 9ft wall of water rush through. It is impossible to describe the chaotic pile of stuff from floor to ceiling ,like somone took the whole house and shook it upside down for awhile. Plus all my dad's workshop was filled with chemicals, solvents, etc. and all the wrecked boats spilling fuel in the water, so the solvent smell was overpowering.
    We got a lcoal guy with an excavator to dig out the broken and buckled steps down to the basement, and we constructed a ramp out of debris laying around. And then, well, we just tackled the mess, one piece of sodden stinking crap at a time. We had to get it all out of the house and piled along the road, and the county had front end loaders and dumptrucks picking it up.
    After working a solid 5 hours on Friday, We had cleared about 6ft worth of floor space. So at start of the workday on Saturday morning, this is what the basement looked like: http://s1280.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=2

After a 12hour day on Satyrdat and FIVE FULL DUMPTRUCKS carted away Here it is Sunday morning: http://s1280.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
    And by end of day today, we got all of those shelves empty and another 6-7 ft behind them emptied out. The county dumptrucks were working in another part of town today and without pickups we had reached the limit of what the curb could hold, so called it a day. The last 15ft to be cleared is blocked by a massive workbench that will need to be chainsawed to get it out, and there is still 1-2ft of sand on the floor that will need mechanized equipment.
    Ill work a few more hours tomorrow and then head home. I am one tired pup tonight.

1 members found this post helpful.

What a lot you have accomplished! Have a good nap on the flight home.

I'm very glad to hear that your parents are OK. You must be so relieved. Tired, yes, but relieved. How good that you were able to get in there and help like you did. Get some rest and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

here is an NBC news piece on their town: http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/tod...82965#49682965 (for some reason I had to right click on the video and select "Watch video on TODAY" to get it to play.)
    there's been lots of the usual neighbors-helping neighbors stuff, like in every disaster-affected area. So despite the wreckage lying around, it's hard not to feel uplifted in some way, because you are reminded that, in general, people are pretty decent, good beings.

What drove their decision to stay?

I can't speak for Hippo's parents ,but in emergency natural disaster situations the thought of leaving home and going into an unknown situation and perhaps a public shelter is very unnerving to people, especially elderly folks.

Unfortunately that hesitation has resulted in the death of many people. It is , however, human nature especially if one has made it through previous events unscathed.

blbgp, i can't explain their thinking, honestly. People are just idiots sometimes, or make a bad judgment call. Hurricane Irene had pretty dire warnings too and it turned out to be a non-event.