The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    You're welcome and tonight I've got muddy paw prints to prove it!
    Susan,

I think there was a really good reason we couldn't get her on a transport up here.... she was meant to stay with you!

You get spoiled when you are blessed with a pit ... there is nothing in the world like them.
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Two of my best friend's farm dogs are a pit and a pit cross. The pit is the best farm dog ever. Doesn't wander off, doesn't bother the horses, never really had to be trained to be good. She likes people who have been deemed 'friends'. I can walk in and out of their house when they're not home no problem. Wouldn't advise doing that if you've not been properly introduced though. Especially if you're a man. She's fine though meeting new people outside the house - just don't enter her space uninvited. She does get kind of obsessed with cats who run from her, but she doesn't hurt them if she catches them. Its more of a BE MY FRIEND DAMMIT! type thing. The cats who don't run are all but ignored. She also tends to claim baby anythings as hers and tries to mother them all then is upset when they don't behave like her litter did (friend found her pregnant and placed the puppies). She couldn't care less about the horses. I'm not sure I've even seen her acknowledge they exist.

The mix, is a sweet dog and loves all humans and would help you rob the place if you pet him in the process. However, he's intent on killing ALL THE THINGS. Its not necessarily a bad thing. He's great for pest control. He does leave the horses alone for the most part (occasionally he decides trying to chase one is a good plan...they are all used to him and either ignore him or give him a swift kick to the ribs if he gets close enough), but she can't have chickens and anything that wanders onto the property, he'll take out. Ask me about a particularly fun, stormy evening involving a game of keep away with a half alive juvenile skunk... He does seem to differentiate between things that were invited (the cats) and things that were not (skunks, raccoons, etc.). He's never once bothered a cat. Its like if his humans have touched it, it belongs. If not, God help it.

I'm curious, though, about this thread compared to the Rhodesian Ridgeback one where people are mostly saying "Look, this breed is not really good for what you want.
    well, the BIG difference is on that thread it's all theoretical, and here it's a reality, as in the dog is already present and something has to be done with it. If someone posted "I have seven dogs and lots of cats and am thinking of getting a pit-bull" I would hope most persons would point out the fact that pitties aren't bred to get along peacefully with other dogs.

Why is the OP so sure the pup is a "pit bull"? puppies are difficult to guess breeds on as it is, and most people don't have a clue as to what a real pit-bull looks like. The odds of someone tossing a real well-bred pit bull out in the middle of the road are extremely low. It's probably just some mutt with short hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester's Mom View Post
    Susan,

I think there was a really good reason we couldn't get her on a transport up here.... she was meant to stay with you!

You get spoiled when you are blessed with a pit ... there is nothing in the world like them.
    I feel like it was divine intervention at work. Can't tell you how much my attitude has changed towards Pits in general since I've now owned her for a few years. I know they're not all like her, but many of them are, and I've gone from saying I'd never have one, to saying I'd have another.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post

Why is the OP so sure the pup is a "pit bull"? puppies are difficult to guess breeds on as it is, and most people don't have a clue as to what a real pit-bull looks like. The odds of someone tossing a real well-bred pit bull out in the middle of the road are extremely low. It's probably just some mutt with short hair.
    Wendy - I don't know if you meant that to sound as abrupt as it does, but not all of us who haven't owned Pits are totally inept at identifying them. This girl showed up on my farm several years back and there's no denying what she is. The OP hasn't posted a picture so I think it's best not to make abrupt assumptions on her knowledge without a picture.

My girl, Sweetie
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

LOL she looks like a Johnson type American Bulldog to me !

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

bludejavu-Imagine your dog at 9 weeks, and you've got this dog.

I was the receptionist at a busy small animal clinic for 5 years, so I've seen my share of short haired mutts, and the vet who saw this pup Monday AM has too-it's a Polk Co. Pit cross, for sure. Sorry about the lack of pics. We need to get some while he's at the "so ugly it's cute" stage, 'cause he really is!

He just got swatted for not paying attention, and walking too close to a kitty. He said he was sorry! He comes to his name, and will sit on command. He is abt. 9-10 weeks old, 14.5 lbs. I would not seek a bully breed, but here he is. I don't believe in passing on my responsibility to others-that's how this little guy has landed in my front room.

wendy-Thanks for your post-your blunt observation is appreciated.

but not all of us who haven't owned Pits are totally inept at identifying them. This girl showed up on my farm several years back and there's no denying what she is.
    honestly, she doesn't look like a pit to me- a bulldog perhaps, the head looks like it comes from a squashed-muzzle heritage in that particular image; more likely, she's just another short-haired mutt.
    Not that it matters- visual identification of breeds, particularly pit bulls, has been shown to be very inaccurate, even by supposed "experts".

here are some assorted short-haired mutts:

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...D%20Poster.pdf

some studies (there are many all with the same results- visual identification of breeds is worthless)
    http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...ith%20AVMA.pdf

Wendy - thank you for your opinion. She has been identified by somewhere between 8-10 people now as a Pit. I will agree with you that there is much incorrect labeling happening within the bully breeds and mixes. However, she may appear to you to be of bull dog descent, but in person, she has too much nose and her body stature really doesn't fit the profile of the Johnson Bull Dog. The entire I.D. matter is really irrelevant to me though. She is Sweetie and she's mine.
    Susan N.

Of course the ID is irrelevant. BTW she has a face to die for .

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

here are some assorted short-haired mutts:

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...D%20Poster.pdf

some studies (there are many all with the same results- visual identification of breeds is worthless)
    http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...ith%20AVMA.pdf[/QUOTE]

While CSI and other shows have given the impression all dna analysis is faultless -- I would take these dog ancestry analyses with as much salt as you would visual identification --