The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default having a pasture horse and a ridding horse???

I have big chestnut "puppy dog" pet whom I absolutely love to pieces. He also has his own pet the fancy white pony. He is a very happy and very athletic pet but only pasture sound, athletic pasture sound. At times I have considered another ridding horse but I have always been worried I could not do it and would make my boy jealous, also I love my big boy so much he is above and beyond the greatest horse I have ever had hard to imagine any other horse could compare. Not sure I am making any sense but if you have any wisdom to share with me it would be greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't worry about him being jealous. Get another horse if you can find one you love. My semi retired gelding loves pasture life and would prefer zero work!!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Whats a ridding horse? sorry, couldn't resist !
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

My heart horse is retired since I can't seem to keep him sound enough for regular work .

Last year I bought a horse on a spur of the moment ( long story)

I struggled with the whole is he jealous/ ok/ does he mind that he is retired thing for a long time.

I think he is fine, I keep him at the same place as my other guy and make sure he gets lots of loving and cookies. He seems pretty happy.

I know he will be thrilled when his younger brother gets clipped and he doesn't!!!!!

Sometimes I think we project too many emotions onto our horses. You still see him and take care of him, and you won't love him any less if you get another horse that you can ride. As long as horses get love and time and attention (and treats), most of them could really do without the work aspect. In fact, you may be a happier person which will make your time with your other horse even better. If you can afford it, absolutely get yourself another horse.

I have a pasture fluff and a riding horse. The old lady is perfectly fine not being the center of my life, but she also has 4 herd mates to keep her entertained. My 3 year old gelding, on the other hand follows me down the pasture fence to greet me everyday, and is jealous when I spend time with my pasture puff. Horses will get used to changes, sometimes it had to be gradual though.

If you're not sold on the idea, what about leasing a horse, and see how that goes?

Long as you still give Puffy plenty of grooming, treats, and kisses he'll be fine. For giving him such a good, loving home, if there's room for one more there's not a reason in the world not to have another one you can also ride. So many out there right now who just want a person, a pasture, and a mild job to do . . . find one of those and enjoy!

I have two horses one is my riding horse the other is my retired riding horse. She 25 hasnt been riden in 4 years. Shes no longer sound so shes my beautiful lawn ornament.

Shes just fine when we go out riding and leave her behind she knows i give her extra hay to eat before we leave. As long as you still groom and take good care of him he will be fine. My mare loves not having to be riden and she also knows i still love her just as much as ever.

Go for it and get yourself a horse you can ride as long as they get along together they will both be fine.

Occasionally one of my mares will have fits when I ride the other, but it's short lived and I'm reasonably certain it's not me that they're pining for

Over the years I've often had some combination of riding and retired horses, and all of them have been able to cope with their lot in life just fine. After Stan retired, he'd come looking for me when I was riding Sadie past his pasture, and I'd always make sure to save a treat for him if he came up to the fence. Made both of us happy, and I don't think he felt neglected at all as long as he got his snack once in a while
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

1 members found this post helpful.

I say go for it.

My 30 yo is only pasture sound. As long as he gets enough "fussing" on the ground, he doesn't care that he isn't beng ridden.

My 26 yo goes though periods of beong ridden and periods of not being ridden. She seems happy both ways.

Same with my 16 yo (though I think she actually prefers the not-being-ridden periods.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I have not got another horse. But every once in a while I think about it.

There is one for sale that I have a soft spot for. And a part of me saying if he sells will I regret not buying him.

I guess I have mixed emotions. I could never get another horse, I love my boy and what if it broke his heart as he is like the love of my life. But a small part of me considers it from time to time.

Go for it! He's got his buddy. His "jealousy" is not going to be about you riding another horse. It's going to be about that horse leaving the pasture, if that even bothers him (and you can work on training to make that a non-issue)

I don't think it's uncommon to have a retiree and a riding horse. I got a baby when my old guy was getting up there in age, figuring she'd be ready to ride about the time he was ready to retire (ends up I underestimated his longevity!) She was weaned with him and they've spent more time together than apart since then, and as others have said I'm pretty sure all he's worried about when I ride her is that his friend is gone.

To be honest, it never occurred to me NOT to have a riding horse once the boy was retired; it was my plan for years beforehand. Next time I'll wait a bit longer, though, to make for fewer years of paying for two!
    Proud member of the EDRF

My retiree and I logged miles and miles. I was/am his person. However, when I got my new girl, he was quite content to move into retirement. It's been years now and I've not seen any ill affects.

I have a retired horse due to navicular disease. In the AM I turn him and my OTTB (riding horse) out together in the round pen and throw them some hay and water. They both eat while I'm tacking the riding horse up. Then I remove and ride my TB while the retired guy stuffs his face. I'm pretty sure I can hear giggling coming from the round pen as the retired guy watches the TB sweat, LOL! As long as you still spend time with the other horse I HIGHLY doubt he will miss being ridden.

I commend to all a book called Evidence Based Horsemanship. It was written by a trainer and PhD neuroscientist. It will help purge anthropomorphic thinking.

Go here for more details:

http://www.evidence-basedhorsemanship.com/

Since the horse does not, and cannot, have issues with more complex emotions (like love, jealosy, etc.) the issue(s) is(are) with the human. And isn't this the truth 90%+++ of the time?

If you want, and can afford, another riding horse then get one. Don't "over think" the process. If you've set stumbling blocks in your own mind that you don't wish to address then don't get one. Your horse won't mind either way.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

What Guilherme said.

Horses don't care about much beyond their base necessities. Sure there are the ones who like interaction, but as far as "jealousy"?? No.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Don't miss out on riding just because you fear hurting you old guy's feelings!! He'll be just fine as long as you take good care of him. (Obviously you do and will!) They adapt. Much like small children who have younger siblings. And he'll still have his little pet!!
    I have a retired guy and a horse I ride. I do think the older guy is jealous. But it's very in the moment, when he sees me with her. He's quite happy not working and he knows I'm still his person.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
    Whats a ridding horse? sorry, couldn't resist !
    Silly, don't you know ALL horses are "ridding horses"? They help you rid your bank account of money.

I have a pasture puff and a riding horse which works out great for all three of us. The retiree hangs out keeping the grass mowed and the youngster gets to work, which is something he enjoys. I have had the retiree for 11 years and he really could not care less that I ride someone else. As long as he has grass and his two partners in crime out with him, he is perfectly happy. In fact, on the rare occasions when I do ride him, he makes it very clear that I am interrupting his very busy schedule of eating.