The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Audited his clinic today, few more things that may not have been mentioned:

1. He said he loves twisted bits
    2. When you adjust your stirrups, keep your foot in the stirrup
    3. Hide when they ask for a volunteer to give him a leg up
    4. He may well make you jump significantly higher than your height for the group. Our 3' group today jumped 3'3" and 3'6".

So all that and everything that's already been mentioned. Was awesome to watch. He really is unhappy with the hunter world right now that much I gathered LOL

Oh also, what I liked was that there were a WIDE variety of horses in the group, everything from a hot large pony jumper type to an experienced big eq horse and all in between and he was complimentary towards all of them, well at least he didn't think any of them were less capable than any other, just different. Thought that was refreshing.

The fact that you are posting and looking for input from others already tells me you are prepared. GM wants his riders to have a good work ethic and put the horse first.

Prepare your horse as if it were for a show with the exception of braiding. I would go with a leather girth, personally. If it is clean though it shouldn't be a big deal. You should also look show presentable. With the exception of a tucked in polo shirt or button down shirt. If it is colder I advise a FITTED dark jacket or tucked in sweater and vest. Neat with little bulk.

I advise wearing a spur, even if it is very small, rounded, and set well below the spur rest. Make sure you polish your spurs and spur straps. Also carry a stick as you mentioned.

As far as bits. If your horse goes well in the bit you have you should be fine. But I do suggest bringing others with you. The typical bits GM requests a rider to try are a plain snaffle, slow twist, double twisted wire, or a gag (with two reins). All of these are common bits that you can borrow from a friend for the weekend to have in case, even if you don't use them. Have a friend ringside with a bag of bits, different sized spurs, and additional set of reins. He doesn't like to wait. Even if HE requests the tack change.

Prior to the clinic I would advise schooling your horse over a liver pool. This is a common element he introduces to his 3' clinics.

Best of luck! It's an amazing experience.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you to all who have taken the time to respond! The advice and suggestions are much appreciated.

I had to laugh yesterday, as the clinic is still a ways away and I've already learned something from the experience - I schooled yesterday with a set of spurs on, and Tea was just her usual lovely self. I was really worried she'd be too sensitive, but if anything, she was a bit more consistent off my leg without being reactive. Success!

Thank you for the heads up about the liverpools, woodhillsmanhattan. I don't have access to one to school over ahead of time, but Tea is quite brave about new things, so hopefully we'll be okay. She did her first bank yesterday, a little 2'6" drop, without so much as turning a hair, so I hope that will be her attitude if presented with a liverpool as well. Thanks too for the extra information about the bits. I don't have a gag with a mouthpiece that she's familiar with, and I doubt she'd need as much as a double twisted wire, but I'll bring a single twist and a plain snaffle with me, in addition to what she wears regularly. Would the extra rein you suggested be for the gag, so if I don't bring one I can do without it? Also, does he ever ask for the same bit with different cheeks, or usually just vary the mouthpiece?

Thank you again everyone. Please know I really appreciate all the posts!

If you wanted to approximate a liverpool, you could just set a vertical and lay something on the ground between the two ground lines. A cooler, a rain sheet, even a couple of plastic trash bags. Just to give the horse the idea of something different on the ground under the jump.

In one clinic I audited years ago, one of the lower level jumpers would not go near the liverpool. He had the ring crew dismantle the jump and worked with the rider to get the horse over the jump. She was obviously trying her heart out and he was very patient with her.

Another jump we did, which I hadn't done before, was a hogsback.

The only time I saw him switch out a bit was with a horse wearing a fancy contraption of some sort. He had the rider come back with a plain snaffle.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    In one clinic I audited years ago, one of the lower level jumpers would not go near the liverpool. He had the ring crew dismantle the jump and worked with the rider to get the horse over the jump. She was obviously trying her heart out and he was very patient with her.

Another jump we did, which I hadn't done before, was a hogsback.

The only time I saw him switch out a bit was with a horse wearing a fancy contraption of some sort. He had the rider come back with a plain snaffle.
    he had someone come back with a different bit yesterday, I didn't see what they had on Tuesday, but she switched to a twisted snaffle and he was pleased.

Another thing they did in all the clinics yesterday was a bounce... actually it was a bounce, then 3 strides to an oxer, 2 strides to a hugh brush jump. So I'd bone up on lotsa gymnastics.

Just to echo some of the sentiments already expressed...

Yes, you will probably have to jump a liverpool. Wear your spurs. I would also go ahead and change the bit out to a full cheek snaffle. He made me change my horse's bit once...demanded a full cheek. I didn't have one, but some kind soul let me borrow one.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

That child's report should be engraved into each of our brains. No matter your niche in the horse industry, no matter how good or bad you think you and your horse are......you come back for more because you love it. No matter the weather, your headache, no matter what.....you love riding, therefore you will commit the time, make the sacrifices and never ever stop learning even when you feel you are learning more about what NOT to do as opposed to what to do. :-) Mr. Morris brings integrity, character and most of all, RESPECT to the sport. Respect means taking care of your horse properly and his tack so your horse can do the job you ask. It also means you, as the rider and/or owner, dress appropriately for the occasion. Alas, image is everything sometimes. No, you don't have to have a custom saddle, just one that fits the horse and you properly for the job you intend horse to do. Mr. Morris instills incentive and inspiration for us to do the right thing by our horses. Fail well people, fail well and you will learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The worst lessons are THE BEST ones. I am looking forward to seeing him in November here in California. I get to go audit and then pass on the info to my people and ride my young horses better for their owners. No matter how old I become, I never ever stop learning, every day that horse teaches me something new....about myself! ;-) (and how to ride better too). ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    Again, thank you, thank you, thank you to all who have taken the time to respond! The advice and suggestions are much appreciated.

I had to laugh yesterday, as the clinic is still a ways away and I've already learned something from the experience - I schooled yesterday with a set of spurs on, and Tea was just her usual lovely self. I was really worried she'd be too sensitive, but if anything, she was a bit more consistent off my leg without being reactive. Success!

Thank you for the heads up about the liverpools, woodhillsmanhattan. I don't have access to one to school over ahead of time, but Tea is quite brave about new things, so hopefully we'll be okay. She did her first bank yesterday, a little 2'6" drop, without so much as turning a hair, so I hope that will be her attitude if presented with a liverpool as well. Thanks too for the extra information about the bits. I don't have a gag with a mouthpiece that she's familiar with, and I doubt she'd need as much as a double twisted wire, but I'll bring a single twist and a plain snaffle with me, in addition to what she wears regularly. Would the extra rein you suggested be for the gag, so if I don't bring one I can do without it? Also, does he ever ask for the same bit with different cheeks, or usually just vary the mouthpiece?

Thank you again everyone. Please know I really appreciate all the posts!
    Get a blue tarp at you hardware store. That is what most people, and today's clinic in VA, use to make a Liverpool.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    If you wanted to approximate a liverpool, you could just set a vertical and lay something on the ground between the two ground lines. A cooler, a rain sheet, even a couple of plastic trash bags. Just to give the horse the idea of something different on the ground under the jump.
    We used a blue exercise mat-looked just like a Liverpool but light.

I am certain Tea will be brave though. And I know GM will have great things to say about her.

Thumbs up WONDERFUL THREAD1 SAVE IT, please!

A great read! Can this be "archived?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

I just finished up the GM clinic here in VA. It was amazing. Here are some pics of my horse and I from the 3' section...

a collected trot: http://www.tjkphotography-equitation...375_large.html

I could have released more: http://www.tjkphotography-equitation...423_large.html

I am reasonably happy with my position here:
    http://www.tjkphotography-equitation...430_large.html
    http://www.tjkphotography-equitation...442_large.html
    http://www.tjkphotography-equitation...468_large.html
    http://www.tjkphotography-equitation...480_large.html

Here is the main link to the photos. If you look through them, you can get a sense of the types of jumps you will see, and the turnout. http://www.tjkphotography-equitation...&p=-1&a=0&at=0

Everything he asks you to do has a purpose, and he strongly emphasizes proper flatwork/dressage leading to proper jumping. If you have taken any shortcuts, he WILL find them, and make you change them. I rode in a slow twist french-link D-ring, and he had no issues with that.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Great pictures, but I only saw two full cheek bits.

We also have one in this clinic in the 3foot section and have thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

One question, if he asks you to drop your stirrups does he want you to cross them?

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    One question, if he asks you to drop your stirrups does he want you to cross them?
    iirc. Yes. Also, he does not like the light weight plastic stirrups because when you drop them or lose one, they are hard to pick up. They can also fly up and conk you in the nose.

Another question: Is it possible to have the session video taped? I know I would love to be able to rewatch the lesson.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    So in the midst of my envy/jealousy/awe of attending a GM clinic, I can't help but observe that it takes more prep work than being presented at the British court, or meeting the Pope.

Would still love to do it!!
    I think I'd be more nervous in front of the Queen. People obsess about making sure their turnout is up to George Morris's standards, but it is really no different than what we should be doing to turn a horse out to show, or even for a daily ride- horse in good flesh and well-groomed, tack clean and well-adjusted, rider clean and well-adjusted and ready to pay attention and learn. Stirrups, girth, color of your tack, whatever.

Small Change, what an attractive horse! Glad you enjoyed the clinic.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Yes, he likes you to cross your stirrups. Be careful to cross them properly a la pony club so you don't have a lump at the stirrup bar

If your mane doesn't lay flat, work on it ahead of time. The day of, properly flick a wet brush over the mane to make sure it's neat and tidy throughout the lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Completely off topic, but that viewing area is beautiful!!

SidesaddleRider, great pics.

And the facility looks beautiful! Where was that clinic in Virginia?