The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wide Noseband Bridle Suggestions

So I personally love the trend of the wider noseband bridle. I have been seeing them everywhere and I was wondering what brands everyone likes the best? I've look a couple up on Dover and SmartPak and was wondering what were people's thoughts.

My boys have average heads but my one guy really can pull off the bigger noseband.

Any suggestions?

SmartPak has a nice one. Wellfleet, I believe. I was just thinking how lovely it looks on my mare. I got it 2-3 years ago. The leather is gorgeous and oils up to a warm brown (no orange and no purple undertones). I've been very, very happy with it!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Two brands I would recommend are Red Barn and Aramas. The leather quality is outstanding but the price is reasonable.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I like my Aramas but it does seem to rub my wb's skin in places. It looks nice, but isn't as comfortable as some. A friend likes the Dover, but I did not like it as much on a delicate face. Edgewood makes a pretty one. There are a bunch out there. Don't need to spend a fortune. The browbands are usually narrower than usual on the "derby" style bridles.

I bought a really nice one from Beval a few years ago, couldn't be happier w/ the leather. Really need to buy a horse w/ a big head so I can use it again!

I have the Edgewood. I adore it, but it does run large. My 17hh TB was a Cob! He doesn't have a small head, either.

I love Red Barn bridles. Actually looks wonderful on my TB with a very defined head. Only thing is, I find that they run big, I have a cob size for my TB and it's on the smallest setting for everything and still a bit big. I love everything about it though.

If you can really really splurge, get the Arc De Triomphe. The bridle is absolutely gorgeous and if it's possible to have a heart bridle, then it's mine.

Hi my name is Neighland and I'm a bridle hoarder!!!

My personal favorite are Jimmy's, however have a wide Edgewood that I adore.... Also have a fairly wide but not super wide Hadfields that is nice.....i don't have one but do like the Armas ones as well!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Hunterrider23- I LOVED the ADT. I saw in one picture that the throat latch is adjustable on both sides? Is that the case? I really liked it but for some reason I personally don't like the look- and if I decide to pay that much for a bridle I want to love every aspect of it!

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    I have the Edgewood. I adore it, but it does run large. My 17hh TB was a Cob! He doesn't have a small head, either.
    Ditto. I already had an Edgewood and bought the wider noseband (not the padded one, just a wider one). I love it but Edgewoods run huge and stretch out a lot.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I have a Rodrigo that I adore! It was 179.99. Comes in non-chestnut flavour too.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...82775173_o.jpg

(forgive that I'm in the jumper ring - my horse truly is a hunter! We just got a little bored...)

Quote Originally Posted by koppem10 View Post
    Hunterrider23- I LOVED the ADT. I saw in one picture that the throat latch is adjustable on both sides? Is that the case? I really liked it but for some reason I personally don't like the look- and if I decide to pay that much for a bridle I want to love every aspect of it!
    Only tightens on one side! I love love love mine, you should get one. Sadly it's time for a new one because tonight we had a scary accident where I let someone borrow it because their trial horse didn't have a bridle and the horse tripped over a jump and went down, breaking the reins and noseband. ((( I don't know if I can splurge and get a new one, but hopefully for a Hannukah/Christmas present I'll get one.

Okay awesome! Makes me feel better about spending the money! You can find it cheaper than on Dover and Smartpak too. About $100 less too!

goodlife- i loved the Rodrigo too! Its between the ADT and that one so far. I haven't had the pleasure to see the others mentioned.

I have a black horse so I certainly want something that would be much darker even tho I really like the color on your horse! You two are a great pair

Quote Originally Posted by koppem10 View Post
    Okay awesome! Makes me feel better about spending the money! You can find it cheaper than on Dover and Smartpak too. About $100 less too!

goodlife- i loved the Rodrigo too! Its between the ADT and that one so far. I haven't had the pleasure to see the others mentioned.

I have a black horse so I certainly want something that would be much darker even tho I really like the color on your horse! You two are a great pair
    I looked at both the Rodrigo and the ADT in store and definitely liked the ADT better, I felt like the raising on the bridle was less square/sharp on the ADT than it was on the Rodrigo and looked more flowing, if that makes sense. The Rodrigo to me is a little more square and thick (not wide).

Makes perfect sense! Thanks for your input Greatly appreciated!

I'm starting to sound like a broken record... Five Star Tack has two wide noseband bridles. The Hickory Wide Noseband and Jubilee Hunt Bridle. I personally like the Hickory better, plus it comes with reins! I can't say enough about the wonderful quality of their bridles....very much comparable to ADT, IMO. And cheaper, too.

Oh, and my other favorite part - no oiling required!

I have two, and like them both for different reasons.
    I got an Aramas OS off of TOTD a while back. Very good quality for the money, a beautiful bridle, I was very happy with.
    I also stumbled across a Beval Heritage OS (reins included) in the clearance section of a tack store. They had had it for quite some time, and it was marked WAY WAY WAY down. This is an exqusite bridle - on par with my Antares. The leather is incredible as is the workmanship, truly a work of art.
    I know it sounds like I have spent big $ on bridles, but I have not, in relation to retail cost. I decide how much I want to pay, and then wait until one comes along. They are out there, but I have waited literally years for the right deal.
    I will be very happy with these bridles for as long as I own my horse - and they have the quality to take me there. In addition they look great on his 'jumbo noggin'.
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Only tightens on one side! I love love love mine, you should get one. Sadly it's time for a new one because tonight we had a scary accident where I let someone borrow it because their trial horse didn't have a bridle and the horse tripped over a jump and went down, breaking the reins and noseband. ((( I don't know if I can splurge and get a new one, but hopefully for a Hannukah/Christmas present I'll get one.
    Try either Just Bridles or AdT directly, and see if you can't get just the pieces that were broken. It might take a bit of work to get them to the same colour as the rest of the bridle, but the savings could be worth it.

I found a new Wellfleet raised fancy stitch bridle on ebay for half of retail, and it is gorgeous. The leather is supple and the padding is just right. It fits very nicely and true to size, but the throat latch is big. I have a 15.2hh QH mare with a rather TB head (she's about 30% TB) but not at all refined, especially along her jowl and throat latch. It's on the last hole, and it barely fits. Everything else is true to size, and the integrated crown is not apparent unless you look closely (a judge probably won't see as you canter by). The leather is really nice, and won't darken unless you want it to (I do not). The color is not offensive right out of the bag, and it is really soft and supple. The reins hardly needed any break-in time. I will say, there is a bit of dye that leaks when you clean it, but I would only be concerned about this on a light grey horse where the reins rub the neck. My mare is a bay, so I don't notice if it leaks when I ride. Another thing worth mentioning, is the cavesson has fixed keepers, so if your horse has a refined muzzle, you may have a bit of a strap hanging off. It does tend to get a dry feeling more quickly than other bridles I have, but none of my other bridles have this quality of leather so I don't know if that is the norm. The noseband is big enough to look good on her less-than-refined noggin, but not so big that it takes up a lot of space on her face. The noseband would look wider if she was not the same color as the padding.