The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by jeannette View Post
    MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN A VET. ON THE TRACKS FOR OVER 50 YEARS.
    HE HAS SEEN IT ALL. ONE THING HE ALWAYS SAYS IS.
    THERE IS NOTHING I CAN GIVE A HORSE THAT WILL MAKE IT RUN ANY FASTER THAN IT POSSIBLY CAN. PERIOD.
    No, but there are many things you can give them that will make them run faster than they should given their current physical condition. Therein lies the problems. All caps is considered shouting and is rude FYI.

Default Drugs are not the only change...

Thinking about things this morning while taking care of my horses and how times have changed in the shedrow over the years.

Years ago grooms cared about their horses, a huge part of their job was to help the horses in their care stay sound. Grooms took alot of pride in how their horses were presented.

Therapy included actually rubbing on a horse, whirlpools, icing machines, cold hosing, cooling out in cold water bandages doing legs up in something other than linement, poultice or a sweat.

Most grooms now don't feel that sense of pride, rubbing horses is a paycheck. What lacks in everyday care the trainer has no alternative but to make it up with the vet.

I'm not saying that every groom is this way, but a large percentage is. The pool of "real" grooms get's smaller and smaller as time goes by, and many of the old ways are being lost.

I'd like to give Dr. Hunt, the vet in this article, a piece of my mind... his name is on my horse's Coggins, so he was his vet at the track. And I'll call out my OTTB's trainer at Belmont, H. Cedano, too. My 6 yr. old gelding, whom I thankfully acquired after his owner passed away, has just had surgery for a chronic tendon issue. This poor horse raced every month for four straight years. I can't imagine the amount of drugs it took to enable him to do this. This horse has the biggest heart... it makes me sick to think about it. The horses's owner, who was elderly and living in Florida, probably didn't know a thing about it. My horse had about 46 starts and never won a race... and the trainer and vet just kept running him so they could make money. Disgusting! It makes my blood boil to think about it! At least he has a good, caring home now.
    Last edited by ridingagain; Oct. 8, 2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ridingagain View Post
    I'd like to give Dr. Hunt, the vet in this article, a piece of my mind... his name is on my horse's Coggins, so he was his vet at the track. And I'll call out my OTTB's trainer at Belmont, H. Cedano, too. My 6 yr. old gelding, whom I thankfully acquired after his owner passed away, has just had surgery for a chronic tendon issue. This poor horse raced every month for four straight years. I can't imagine the amount of drugs it took to enable him to do this. This horse has the biggest heart... it makes me sick to think about it. The horses's owner, who was elderly and living in Florida, probably didn't know a thing about it. My horse had about 46 starts and never won a race... and the trainer and vet just kept running him so they could make money. Disgusting! It makes my blood boil to think about it! At least he has a good, caring home now. One of the owner's other horses wasn't so lucky - she died.
    What is you horse's JC name?

Quote Originally Posted by On the Farm View Post
    What is you horse's JC name?
    If you PM me and give me the reason you want to know, I will give you his name, my name, and his JC #.

If you PM me and give me the reason you want to know, I will give you his name, my name, and his JC #.
    No need to pm. I just feel that if you're going to make negative comments about people associated with your horse in the past, then you should at least name the horse in question. I'm not concerned with your name or a JC number.

The Jockey Club is a bit of a misnomer. It is not a club and it doesn't have members.
    Membership in The Jockey Club (not to be confused with the JC registry) is by invitation and includes approximately 100 individuals distinguished by their contributions to Thoroughbred breeding and racing. They are essentially considered trustees and cannot profit from their role as being a member of the JC.

On August 12, 2012 six new members were appointed to the (US) Jockey Club including Kevin Plank (Under Armour apparel) of Sagamore Farm.

George Strawbridge Jr. (Augustin) for example is a honorary member of the UK Jockey Club as as well as having been a member of (US) The Jockey Club since 1976.

Mike Repole is not a member ....

On the Farm... just trying to protect the deceased owner, since he is not around to defend himself. Not saying the vet or trainer did anything illegal, just that they didn't have the horse's best interests at heart. Don't know how the horse's name would be relevant. If they would like to defend their practices, I'm all ears. My name is Amy Scheetz and they can get in touch with me and we can have a public discussion. I don't know very much about the racing world, but, given his record, my horse couldn't have been making any money for anyone but the trainer and possibly his vet. I'm very grateful that the horse's relatives decided to give him away versus running him into the ground or sending him to slaughter.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd like to give Dr. Hunt, the vet in this article, a piece of my mind... his name is on my horse's Coggins, so he was his vet at the track. And I'll call out my OTTB's trainer at Belmont, H. Cedano, too. My 6 yr. old gelding, whom I thankfully acquired after his owner passed away, has just had surgery for a chronic tendon issue. This poor horse raced every month for four straight years. I can't imagine the amount of drugs it took to enable him to do this. This horse has the biggest heart... it makes me sick to think about it. The horses's owner, who was elderly and living in Florida, probably didn't know a thing about it. My horse had about 46 starts and never won a race... and the trainer and vet just kept running him so they could make money. Disgusting! It makes my blood boil to think about it! At least he has a good, caring home now.
    Once a month racing is not really a heavy schedule. Just because he never won a race doesn't mean he didn't make money. I'd guess that with 46 starts, he made money, or he wouldn't have continued racing. There is money to be made in finishes that are not #1. In some cases desirable because the horse can continue to race against other non-winners. What was his race record?

oh and edited to add, sometimes the owner wants to keep going too. I know trainers that have told owners they should just take thier horse home, but the owner likes the idea of a race horse, even if it doesn't pay for itself. So your assumption that it was the vet and trainer doesn't really make sense. You really don't know what happened.

His total winnings over the 4 yrs were a little over 55k. Don't think that was a great return on the investment!

His total winnings over the 4 yrs were a little over 55k. Don't think that was a great return on the investment!
    Without knowing the owner, horse or anything, it's incredibly uncommon for a horse with that record to have a single owner in a career. He clearly was probably a claimer and not managed competitively, That is usually sentimental owner and not the trainer at work.

The trainer is not making any money off that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pronzini View Post
    Without knowing the owner, horse or anything, it's incredibly uncommon for a horse with that record to have a single owner in a career. He clearly was probably a claimer and not managed competitively, That is usually sentimental owner and not the trainer at work.

The trainer is not making any money off that.
    Yeah, sounds more like an owner wanting to continue than the evil vet/trainer conspiracy.......

Typical scenario is horse is in races that are above his level because owner doesn't want to "lose" the horse running it cheap. Horse cashes just enough to keep owner interested, but never wins.... or really pays the bills.... and trainer can't manage the horse the way he wants to....

This horse has the biggest heart... it makes me sick to think about it. The horses's owner, who was elderly and living in Florida, probably didn't know a thing about it. My horse had about 46 starts and never won a race... and the trainer and vet just kept running him so they could make money. Disgusting! It makes my blood boil to think about it! At least he has a good, caring home now.
    Hard to see how the owner could not know what the horse was doing. Who was paying the bills?

Winless in 46 starts isn't a money-maker for anyone. If the owner is paying the expenses the trainer might be breaking even. There wouldn't be much point in him footing the bill to train and run a losing horse 46 times on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny59 View Post
    Yeah, sounds more like an owner wanting to continue than the evil vet/trainer conspiracy.......

Typical scenario is horse is in races that are above his level because owner doesn't want to "lose" the horse running it cheap. Horse cashes just enough to keep owner interested, but never wins.... or really pays the bills.... and trainer can't manage the horse the way he wants to....
    Yep, what sunny and Pronzini said--that's not the trainer's call to make unless it's a trainer-owned horse or she/he flat-out refuses to keep the horse in training unless the owner allows them to drop the horse to the claiming levels where he belongs. $55k isn't THAT terrible compared to some, once a month isn't a super-strenuous schedule UNLESS he was racing above his proper condition. My horse retired sound on 64 starts and $95k in winnings because when he demonstrated he didn't belong in that particular class, his owners (he went through three or four) dropped him a condition, though that meant a greater risk someone would claim him. Trainers don't want to run a horse who's completely outclassed because breakdowns and last-place finishes don't pay the bills, and those are more likely when you're trying to make a horse who's a $10k claimer at best compete with Allowance company because the owner wants to race but not risk losing the horse.