The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation horses turned loose at horse park????

My braider's FB page says someone turned 5 horses loose at the KY Horse Park the other night. Anyone hear about this? I have to say, as a stallion owner, the thought TERRIFIES me. It's bad enough with mares and geldings, but it makes my stomach drop to think what would happen if a stallion was turned loose with other horses. WTH is wrong with people??
    Cornerstone Equestrian
    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

When I was in Ky this past August, someone messed with my horses one night. When I told the steward her comment was "I haven't heard of anyone messing with other peoples horses" Duh its not like people run around and tell everyone they were messing with other peoples horses! Anyway she basically told me I was lying and she would make sure I did indeed lock my horses in their stalls at night and that I don't keep my horses fans on the floor in the corner of their stalls, REALLY!!!!

It's probably members from PETA> They have an ongoing reputation for pulling stunts like this.

A few years back at KHP, during the Regional Maclay Finals, somebody let a few horses loose. While everybody was chasing them around in the dark, a dozen cars were broken into. Had 3 friends who lost valuables..and we do tend to leave them locked in our cars at shows.

So I wonder what was ripped off when those horses were loose.

But, the steward is not the only one to go to. If you suffered any kind of vandalisim/theft, start by going to the state police office at the KHP and filing a police report. Unfortunately, KHP is smack in the middle of horse country and alot of people know the worth of the items and how they are typically kept. Hear of lots of stuff-including trailers-missing. Also heard the cops take it seriously and want/need the reports so they can act.

USEF has no jursidiction or authority to investigate, apprehend and prosecute criminals even if they are members. But the cops sure do.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Reminds me of this recent story that did not end well. I hope this is not a trend of the whackos.

http://oldscollege.ca/wpnews/2012/09...tallion-death/

Maybe, but the loose horses and thefts at KHP have been going on since day one years back and are more illicit activity by criminals then political statements by whackjobs.

The Park is in an unliberal state, fenced and patrolled by state police in decent numbers so would not be that good a site for the whackos to flock to in black helicopters in an organized effort to make their point.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Pony Club requires all horses to wear a halter when stalled that has a tag on it with barn # and stall # and horse's name. I really wish everyone did this. I braid in the morning and am often the first one there so if anyone got loose I find them and I would LOVE to know where to return them instead of waiting till owners and show staff to arrive hours later.

As for letting horses out intentionally, that's just terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by horsechick View Post
    My braider's FB page says someone turned 5 horses loose at the KY Horse Park the other night. Anyone hear about this? I have to say, as a stallion owner, the thought TERRIFIES me. It's bad enough with mares and geldings, but it makes my stomach drop to think what would happen if a stallion was turned loose with other horses. WTH is wrong with people??
    We had this happen at a barn I used to work at. Somebody came during the night and let the stallion out and one of our old lesson horse mares. Not such a good ending for the mare.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by brynleigh View Post
    When I was in Ky this past August, someone messed with my horses one night. When I told the steward her comment was "I haven't heard of anyone messing with other peoples horses" Duh its not like people run around and tell everyone they were messing with other peoples horses! Anyway she basically told me I was lying and she would make sure I did indeed lock my horses in their stalls at night and that I don't keep my horses fans on the floor in the corner of their stalls, REALLY!!!!
    Just curious if you really have fans on the floor in a stall? Sounds like a fire or accident waiting to happen and dangerous. Maybe someone was tending to a fan and not messing with a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by China Doll View Post
    Just curious if you really have fans on the floor in a stall? Sounds like a fire or accident waiting to happen and dangerous. Maybe someone was tending to a fan and not messing with a horse.
    I think the point was that someone have moved the fans to the floor.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

the point was that the fan was taken down and put in th front corner of my horses stall

What d***heads!

When I was working for a trainer we always had a lock on her stallions door. Maybe invest in a padlock and a chain in case the stable doors aren't lockable.
    Just have a few spare keys hidden in car, truck, handbag, ect.

Terrifying. For any horse. Very scary to think of a stallion being loose. I wonder if there was a sign on the stall that said "stallion" or "I bite" if it would ward people off... since it sounds like all they want is a distraction and not to maybe get hurt themselves? I don't know. Scary.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter87 View Post
    It's probably members from PETA> They have an ongoing reputation for pulling stunts like this.
    I don't know.. I do see your point, however PETA pulls stunts that draw media attention, and although they are crazy- since they are such a mainstream animal rights group, they do have slightly LESS crazy members at the top to keep them from doing things that would give REALLY bad press- such as putting animals directly in danger themselves- potentially risking their deaths. What would their plan be setting horses loose? What would they gain from that??
    If you know of some similar event that PETA has done.. please correct me!

This is awful to hear. I really hope that the horses that weere set loose are unharmed and safe.

Peta and their allies like ALF have released all kinds of animals. Minks and other animals from fur farms, dogs at shows (I don't know anyone at obedience or regular shows that leaves animals unattended for a second), and did have two employees collecting giveaways from shelters and vets' offices in NC, and killing them in the van on the way back to VA-they were caught because they kept dumping carcasses in the same grocery store dumpster.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Peta and their allies like ALF have released all kinds of animals. Minks and other animals from fur farms, dogs at shows (I don't know anyone at obedience or regular shows that leaves animals unattended for a second), and did have two employees collecting giveaways from shelters and vets' offices in NC, and killing them in the van on the way back to VA-they were caught because they kept dumping carcasses in the same grocery store dumpster.
    So, that's the thing. ALF is MUCH different from PETA. The name says everything.. ALF's goal/belief is to release everything. If ALF let the horses out.. they would have let out MUCH more than five.

At the Qh shows (the big ones anyway) there is a guy who offers a night watch service. He charges $5 per horse per night to walk around and check on your horse every hour. He has a tally sheet that lets you know what time he has been there each hour and he will even feed in the morning if you leave it in front of the stalls. He makes a dandy profit and lost like 70 pounds doing it...he now even has a crew that work for him. It works as peace of mind for owners and is a big deterrent for would be trouble makers.

We have night watch at the new england area shows also.
    Eight Fences Farm. Mansfield, MA

Yes, PETA and ALF aren't the same, but PETA has given big bucks to ALF and other liberation groups.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White