The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Stingy" Stifles?

Hoping someone knows what that means. Friend of mine emailed a trainer who has a filly listed with CANTER and asked about any soreness/soundness issues. Trainer reports filly has clean legs and no issues that have affected her training, but she was sometimes stingy in the stifles. I haven't seen the exact email - friend texted me to ask if I knew what that meant, and that's a new one to me.

So - what does that mean? Friend is looking for a 2'-2'6 hunter type prospect, something she can take on hunt paces and occasional local shows. She will have a PPE done if it progresses to that point. Just curious and always looking to expand my knowledge!
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

I am wondering if the text message auto-correct changed the word 'sticky' to 'stingy'.
    Sticky stifles is a term used to describe a horse that has loose stifles and the medial patellar ligament catches on the bone. Sometimes this will actually lock the stifle so that you have to manipulate the stifle to undo it or in cases where it slips off the bone itself it 'sticks' for a brief moment.
    This can be treated with lots of trotting up and down hills and using an internal blister. In the past the medial ligament was cut surgically but is not used as much today. I have had great success with trotting and internal blisters.
    I would not let this stop me from buying the horse if every thing else is ok.
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thaks lpcutter! I was wondering if it was a typo/auto correct thing, although I was unfamiliar with the term sticky stifles as well. Is this the type of thing that can be an ongoing issue, or does it tend to go away with proper treatment?
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

I agree We have one of our horses that has sticky stifles and started to lock up very frequently, so trotting, trotting and more trotting. She now lives outside with a stall to go as she pleases and that helped but most of all the internal blister does wonders for her. Other than that her performance is always on par. She just requires a little more upkeep.

What are they using for an internal blister nowadays?

My vet used almond oil and 2% Iodine.
    To keep her up between blistering, I will paint her stifles and hocks with Ball Solution made by McTarnahans. And occasionally i will externally blister her with cedar oil. But that is only when she starts locking up

Thanks, BLB. Internal blisters do seem to work well. My riding horse had that done once.

Ah, Ball solution - brings blood into the area, makes a skin scurf if used regularly and turns things red. We used to paint coronary bands with it, too. Do the TB trainers use Ball solution or is it more a sb thing - anyone?