The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another THRILLING Saddle Fit Thread! (With Pictures!)

You clicked because you're really, really in love with saddle threads and I thank you for that! Yes, Facebook photos but will work for everyone unless Facebook itself is blocked.

The culprit, a 4yo TB mare who is ballooning outwards on a daily basis thanks to another growth spurt:
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...86550030_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...15509702_n.jpg

So she is flat front to back, but a more narrow shoulder/wither area.

I went through my two-rider saddle collection to see what I am working with:

The narrow Crosby...this saddle fit her up until a few months ago:
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...76207751_n.jpg
    Now it's wayyy too tight on her, and rocks.

The Berney Brothers medium:
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...34977735_n.jpg
    This just came in the mail...doesn't really fit her withers (kinda flares out?) and it obviously rocks.

The Antill generous wide:
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...14697980_n.jpg
    This is my swoopy-backed, giant-shouldered, low-withered QH gelding's saddle...and the one that I've been riding Miss Mare in. It sits lower on her withers but fits with a half pad. How it fits his swoopy back and her flat one I have no idea!

The Ancient Smith Worthington, medium:
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...52393288_n.jpg
    This is barnmate's saddle, just tossed it on to see. It fits her pretty well, actually, but doesn't fit ME at all.

The Passier dressage:
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...28646593_n.jpg
    This has a 30cm tree, I believe. Also barnmate's, way too big on me and Passier flaps never fit my short legs. But it fits her just awesome.

The Loriner dressage:
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...45466553_n.jpg
    This is my gelding's dressage saddle, which fits him like a glove with it's generous wide hoop tree. It flares out a bit too much (no shoulders to fill out around the knee rolls) on her, but again magically fits her front to back despite their different shapes. It's a little wide, but could manage with a half pad.

Others that I've tried: An HDR, rocked like a rocking horse on her. And a Dover Circuit, medium tree, that fit her like a glove but it was before her growth spurt. Getting my hands on it again soon to see if it's still an option.

I'm in a bit of a pinch to find something for her, since she is going off property for a part lease and cannot take my gelding's saddle. I'm also on a budget, of course, but am an Ebay pro and can find just about anything that's not French in my budget. (sub-$750)

The Passier fits her best of all....what sort of CC saddles fit a similar way? I am not entirely against a dressage saddle but would prefer a cc at this point so I can stay off her green baby back a bit. Any other suggestions?

Passier makes CC saddles. Other than that, I'm no help.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Passier makes CC saddles. Other than that, I'm no help.
    I'm in the process of hunting one down. I think most of them are a little ugly, but hey, whatever works!

Critique number one: saddles are all too far forward! Around two fingers width's behind the scapula. :-)

Also, your mare has a pretty flat back, with small withers, is relatively flat side-to-side, and looks pretty average width wise. So, look for something with flatter panels on the back, and built on a straight tree. Something like a Bates, Colliegiate, maybe an older County? Those can be found inexpensively, especially if you are willing to look on eBay.

And, Passier does make a CC saddle, but the new ones are VERY hard to find, and are not cheap. The old ones tend to be every narrow, with very narrow gullets.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I'm in the process of hunting one down. I think most of them are a little ugly, but hey, whatever works!
    I was looking at one that was relatively normal looking...square cantle, regular forward-type flap, pretty flat seat, not the all-purpose looking styles. I'll see if I can dig up the name of it.

I was also going to suggest Bates, but then you said the Passier fit well...which is banana-y. I have a Bates and am pretty pleased with it, though it's a dressage saddle (had for less than $600!).
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley688 View Post
    Critique number one: saddles are all too far forward! Around two fingers width's behind the scapula. :-)

Also, your mare has a pretty flat back, with small withers, is relatively flat side-to-side, and looks pretty average width wise. So, look for something with flatter panels on the back, and built on a straight tree. Something like a Bates, Colliegiate, maybe an older County?
    I do the standard method of placing them too far forward and then sliding them back until they stop, although I suppose that doesn't necessarily work if the tree is wrong in the first place!

I have a county dressage coming on a trial, but the older ones tend tO be a little narrow through the gullet. Also have a collegiate coming, as they always seem to be "workable" on most horses, the nicer old wool flocked ones.

Passier flaps never fit my short legs. But it fits her just awesome.
    I bought a used Passier Grand Gilbert and my saddle fitter shortened the flaps. You'd never realize it unless I pointed it out. So, it's possible to do, but you have to find someone who really knows what he/she is doing. I'm lucky that my fitter is really, really good.

The majority of these are the wrong shaped panel for a TB back. If they are shaped like a banana they won't work for your flat backed mare. I find most english made saddles work for these type of backs -county, albion, black country...

I've had great luck with my E. Jeffries Hawk Event (older I think 1995ish) fitting the TB or Appendix backs. I just put it on my new TB with a flat back and a bit longer/higher wither then yours and it fit very nicely. It's a Medium tree.

I have had several flat back TBs that did well in a Passier Grand Gilbert for dressage and an Ainsley Chester for jumping. My Chester is the original model and I love it, but the newer ones should work as well. You should be able to find one used well within your budget.

I totally agree, but they have one called a Phoenix (I think) that looks reasonable. I'm on the look out for one used.