The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Rood and Riddle Supports Soring of Horses???

Rood and Riddle, a respected equine practice in Kentucky, is providing veterinary support for the TWSHO and the Walking Horse Industry at the 74th Annual Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration.

Due to intense scrutiny after the infamous Jackie McConnell video, showing blatant abuse, the Walking Horse Industry created TWSHO (Tennessee Walking Show Horse Organization) in order to protect horses.

However TWSHO has come under fire – their swabbing (i.e. sampling for foreign substances on the legs of the horse) is reported to allow baselines of both caustic chemicals as well as numbing agents. And now TWSHO is leveraging the name of Rood and Riddle by hiring Scott Hopper to examine select horses that the USDA veterinarians have deemed sore.

Scott Hopper /Rood and Riddle, funded by the Walking horse industry, are participating and in some cases condoning soring despite the two most respected veterinary and equine professional organizations (AVMA and AAEP) strong stand against the soring of horses.

In an interview with The Hoof Blog, Hopper makes several concerning assertions.

“I did not see a problem with soring during my four nights inspecting horses at The Celebration.”

Yet during this time period numerous violations (almost all indicative of soring) were found by others.

SHOW (hired by the Celebration to inspect horses) found: 30 violations

And USDA Veterinary Medical Officers found: 102 violations

“Of the horses I examined I saw no signs of abuse.”

Yet in this same interview he states;

“The biggest area of concern I had was with the palpation of horses and those deemed sore by USDA VMOs. Approximately 70% of those cases, I disagreed with the VMOs and found nothing wrong with those horses.”

What about the 30% Dr. Hopper? Where they not sored? Which is it?

At the end of the day this is about the horse –not about money, payments for “services” exchanged, the media or a $0.02 ribbon.

Call your Congressman (http://avmacan.avma.org/avma/callale...ertid=61758876).

Call Rood and Riddle (859-233-0371).

Let them know what you think. Let them know you stand for the horse.

hm. bumping. thoughts?

Good idea about making the calls. I am totally perplexed about Dr. Hooper's thoughts on TWHs. I do know a vet who interned there and will be contacting him and feeling him out about Dr Hooper.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

I seriously doubt a partner at Rood & Riddle would jeopardize his hospital's reputation for a TWH competition.

Here's the entire interview:

http://hoofcare.blogspot.com/2012/08...tt-hopper.html
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I have every confidence that no vet from Rood and Riddle would compromise their integrity by enabling TWH abusers.

Having just read the full article, I consider the initial post a gross misrepresentation of the facts, and a blatant attempt to damage a top group 's reputation to further an agenda.

Soring is terrible. The doctor stated very clearly he is against it. Sounds like there may be a similar situation developing to the overzealous elimination of some jumpers for hypersensitivity.

What Snugglerug said. I've seen these VMOs in action. I'm pretty sure they could find a way to write a ticket on almost any horse they decided to. Dig your fingernail hard enough into any horse's coronary band and they'll flinch.

This Rood dude is supporting TWHSHO, whose members have multiple violations, and the TWH Industry. Vets can be bought same as anyone. If Rood and Riddle had such a good reputation in the past, prehaps it was b/c their stand on soring was not known. The truth has a way of coming out! Just b/c one is a vet doesn't mean they're against soring, I know two vets in this area who sore their own horses, and kiss the rear ends of the Big Lickers down here too. Anything this Hopper guy said is in support of the Lickers, therefore quite suspect, and needs intense examination. I'm sure being in Kentucky he has many BL clients, and he's not going to shoot himself in the foot. I just don't believe everything I read, been around this subject too long.

He's a surgeon at R&R. Most of their clients are thoroughbreds and sport horses. Read the blog I posted of the interview and quit misrepresenting what was said.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I have every confidence that no vet from Rood and Riddle would compromise their integrity by enabling TWH abusers.
    Me too. What a load of horse crap.

I don't like soring. It needs to be stopped. But the OP's version of events smells like ARA propaganda to me.

Actually, on Fri night when Chad Way was banned from the Celebration for 2 yrs (and that is not even the legal stuff to come at him), the vet from R&R deemed Tin Man "disabled"-------------it was f'ing horrible 4 the horse. He could not even walk. Everyone was horrified. I feel so sorry for the horse. God knows what Chad Way has put him through. No words from the owners.

Just quoting for posterity, you know, in case Dr Hooper decides to get his attorney to contact the OP and her friend. Now it's quoted and they can't poof.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlterforWalkers View Post
    Rood and Riddle, a respected equine practice in Kentucky, is providing veterinary support for the TWSHO and the Walking Horse Industry at the 74th Annual Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration.

Due to intense scrutiny after the infamous Jackie McConnell video, showing blatant abuse, the Walking Horse Industry created TWSHO (Tennessee Walking Show Horse Organization) in order to protect horses.

However TWSHO has come under fire – their swabbing (i.e. sampling for foreign substances on the legs of the horse) is reported to allow baselines of both caustic chemicals as well as numbing agents. And now TWSHO is leveraging the name of Rood and Riddle by hiring Scott Hopper to examine select horses that the USDA veterinarians have deemed sore.

Scott Hopper /Rood and Riddle, funded by the Walking horse industry, are participating and in some cases condoning soring despite the two most respected veterinary and equine professional organizations (AVMA and AAEP) strong stand against the soring of horses.

In an interview with The Hoof Blog, Hopper makes several concerning assertions.

“I did not see a problem with soring during my four nights inspecting horses at The Celebration.”

Yet during this time period numerous violations (almost all indicative of soring) were found by others.

SHOW (hired by the Celebration to inspect horses) found: 30 violations

And USDA Veterinary Medical Officers found: 102 violations

“Of the horses I examined I saw no signs of abuse.”

Yet in this same interview he states;

“The biggest area of concern I had was with the palpation of horses and those deemed sore by USDA VMOs. Approximately 70% of those cases, I disagreed with the VMOs and found nothing wrong with those horses.”

What about the 30% Dr. Hopper? Where they not sored? Which is it?

At the end of the day this is about the horse –not about money, payments for “services” exchanged, the media or a $0.02 ribbon.

Call your Congressman (http://avmacan.avma.org/avma/callale...ertid=61758876).

Call Rood and Riddle (859-233-0371).

Let them know what you think. Let them know you stand for the horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by walknsound View Post
    This Rood dude is supporting TWHSHO, whose members have multiple violations, and the TWH Industry. Vets can be bought same as anyone. If Rood and Riddle had such a good reputation in the past, prehaps it was b/c their stand on soring was not known. The truth has a way of coming out! Just b/c one is a vet doesn't mean they're against soring, I know two vets in this area who sore their own horses, and kiss the rear ends of the Big Lickers down here too. Anything this Hopper guy said is in support of the Lickers, therefore quite suspect, and needs intense examination. I'm sure being in Kentucky he has many BL clients, and he's not going to shoot himself in the foot. I just don't believe everything I read, been around this subject too long.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

The hoofblog article is confusing. It says that Dr Hopper examined 30 horses during the four nights. He found that he didnt agree with the USDA VMO findings 70% of the time. I take that to mean that he DID agree with 30% of the findings. Then he is quoted saying that soring is not a problem. Is 30% not a problem ? I have been misquoted before in newspapers, but when i see quotation marks in an article i take it to be actual word for word. So consider me 30% confused.
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Good post, and a trueful one. I have been to Rood and Riddle, and it is an outstanding equine facility.

If Dr. Hopper is concerned about digital palpation as the primary method of detecting soring he is not alone, nor is it the first time that practice has been questioned. The entire issue was covered when I took the DQP training in the late '90s. So this is not exactly news.

Since the method is based upon the observations of the person doing the palpation then there can, and will, be differences of opinion on whether or not a horse reacted to the palpation and whether or not that horse is "sored" under the HPA.

I've no "heartburn" with people employing an independent vet. to watch and, perhaps, second-guess the USDA inspectors. That's no different from people videoing an officer conducting a traffic stop, arrest, or any other function where the officer is in plain view.

If the USDA vet. employed the proper practices under the HPA and found a sored horse and another vet., following the same protocol, did not then you have what Texas Lawyers call a "swearing match." That's why God built courthouses.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Long and short of it is there continues to be sored horses - even when proponents of stacks hire an outsider to critique USDA.
    Last edited by hurleycane; Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

Is Dr. H forgetting the HSUS video where horses were being beaten for flinching? These horses are trained not to react so a normal palpation exam is not going to elicit the same responses are a normal horse. I also suspect that the horses he was given to exam may have been blocked or numbed. I am sad that Rood and Riddle is tacitly supporting this event, without even decrying the blocky shoes which Dr. H knows are uncomfortable for the horse and will lead to problems.

I hope R&R and Dr. Hooper sues the pants off the OP. Thanks for quoting Graatan. I can't abide this ARA crap.

I also took a screenie of the page with the original title. Just in case the OP edits that too.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglerug View Post
    Having just read the full article, I consider the initial post a gross misrepresentation of the facts, and a blatant attempt to damage a top group 's reputation to further an agenda.
    I agree - and I know Scott Hopper personally, and he would not do anything other than report factually what he has found on the examination of a horse, no matter the pressure (ie. the horse being pulled from a Grade I stakes race because of the results, or disagreeing with the exam someone had done on a horse that was removed from a competition).

Another quote from the interview:
    "I don’t believe that horses need to be sored to perform at a high level at the Celebration. Of the horses I examined I saw no signs of abuse. If any owner or trainer believes that this is still necessary then they should be banned from the profession, because there is no place for it anymore"

Doesn't sound to me like his stance on soring is questionable or at odds with the guidelines of the AVMA/AAEP.