The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone been to Running Start Horse Trials?

Has anyone here been to this unrecognized schooling event in Vass, NC?

Thoughts on course, footing, jumps, etc? Particularly interested in the novice course!

Thanks!

We went this spring. Very nice place.
    I did maiden and it was my first time. We made it around but I was scared. Dressage was either in the covered arena or the grass field. Jumping was on the grass field. Sandy footing, well ran for a first time event.
    Pamela Ellis

Yes, great event. Vass is essentially Southern Pines (but better, it's residents may tell you ) with the excellent sandy turf. Courses are fair representation of the level, in Omnibus- speak Meaning there is a lovely pass through water for BN-N (may have been optional at BN?), there was a fair variety of "looks" to jump XC ( grey rolltops with shingle rooves in a couple sizes, a reddish N pheasant feeder like CHP has in grey, a great N picture frame/red coop) You definitely get to go up and down some hills, but in a flowing way, not one designed to make you scare bystanders

SJ was well designed, turns got a bit harder (but still quite doable!) as you went up the levels, there is a brush box or two and a roll top and a few other "variety" fences, but not a mess of colored poles. Good beginning of season or testing next level show, fundamentally.

It may be the second event at this farm, but between the landowners, organizer, and secretary alone there is a huge amount of eventing and organizing experience.

Yes, Mari has a lovely farm and it's a great HT. This spring was their first so there were some speedbumps in timing and location of things, as to be expected, but everything was safe and she has a fantastic XC variety with the good sandhills footing. I just mailed in my entry and look forward to adding some mileage to my youngster before he hits VA. :-)

Novice had a log with a couple strides to a ditch. My youngster jumped it, but I was definitely surprised to see that on an unrecognized N course....! Overall a really nice schooling event.

Jennifer

Wanted to add that we have schooled there quite a bit and there are almost endless ways to combine the jumps and complexes and change the questions. There really is a little bit of everything and I like that it is all just enough that you do actually have to ride, but nothing that I have ever found to be overwhelming or unfair.

Can you tell me how the maiden was? Doing it in April and trying to be the most prepared I can be

Maiden was fun!, and was a great introduction to the sport. The XC at maiden runs all in one field, so your fans, friends, family, and videographer can see you the whole way around. The jumps are small, but still a nice variety of looks (so it's not log, log, log, log). My group included both horses and riders at their first ever event, and all had a great time.
    The field is not flat. For maximum preparation, make sure you are comfortable at least trotting up and down hills. Have a baast!!

Thank you so much! First show for the horse ever and first show for me in 15 +yrs eeek!