The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Saddle.

I woud hold off on a dressage saddle until your muscles and ligaments have adapted to the dessage position.

The saddle that will fit YOU properly later will feel "wrong" now. (it will probably feel as if it is making you "perch".
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by EventingChase View Post
    For an instructor, training and care, I really like Kim Schisler

http://www.stillwatersdressage.com/

She is great, and used to event/do jumpers before turning to straight dressage so will have a good idea of the path you are on.

Good Luck!
    Thank you for the suggestion! Kim has been suggested to me by a few different folks. She is based at Applewood, correct? I am just a bit concerned about the turnout situation there - my horse is used to getting quite a bit more time outside than what I believe they are able to offer...
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Saddle.

I woud hold off on a dressage saddle until your muscles and ligaments have adapted to the dessage position.

The saddle that will fit YOU properly later will feel "wrong" now. (it will probably feel as if it is making you "perch".
    Yep, seems like everyone is in agreement about that. And I love my current saddle, so not in a hurry to give it up anyway!!
    -PaulaEdwina

I only put bling browbands on plain-headed horses. If the horse has a blaze or a giant star, it is distracting, imho. These are popular: http://www.peopleonhorses.com/browbands.html

There is also a selection here: http://www.dressageextensions.com/Search.asp?cat=01_03

Subtle white padding can look lovely on a dark horse without markings. It was everywhere 10 years ago, but now much less so. I've also seen some bridles with navy or hunter green padding. From a little distance, you can't tell- but up close it gives it a little pop.

WRT full seats, some of them give you a little bit of extra "stick", while still being flexible, and allowing you to shift your seat when you want to.

Others are TOO sticky or TOO stiff. You need to try them on with a saddle.

I happen to like TuffRider and Tropical Rider.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I moved over from Hunter land a while back and love it. The saddle is very different. My poor thigh muscles were expressing themselves at first with relaxing. When I do some jumping the shorter stirrups bug me.

I have a couple pairs of full-seats but they feel like I have a diaper on. I do want to try FITS but holding off right now. I haven't been showing much since having a green bean who is just now learning how to carry himself like a big boy and not a bull in china shop. He is challenged (in the head).

One of the big things I like about dressage is I can braid my hair and roll it onto the base of my neck. I can't stand sticking my hair up in the helmet. The braid is very neat and professional. I do wear a hairnet so there is no loose pieces. Also I can take the helmet off and put on baseball hat and not flip out on hunter hair.

For schooling shows you don't have to wear a coat which is nice when it is 100 degrees and your melting in a coat. Just a polo shirt WITH sleeves is suitable.

You can have a reader up to a certain level. Which I enjoy because I get lost on hunter courses. (YOU are off course, leave now)

Your horse will develop a different topline from his current. His hind end will really build up from the different movement.

Let's what else...

Try all different saddles. I rode in a albion for the longest time when I was very heavy. Now that I am *normal* the saddle is just way to big. I slide all over the place. I am saving for a Stubben with the bio-mex seat.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

I "think" Kim is based at a new farm called Landsowne Farm BUT she is mobile as well.
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I only put bling browbands on plain-headed horses. If the horse has a blaze or a giant star, it is distracting, imho. These are popular: http://www.peopleonhorses.com/browbands.html

There is also a selection here: http://www.dressageextensions.com/Search.asp?cat=01_03

Subtle white padding can look lovely on a dark horse without markings. It was everywhere 10 years ago, but now much less so. I've also seen some bridles with navy or hunter green padding. From a little distance, you can't tell- but up close it gives it a little pop.
    Hmmm. That makes sense. Here is a pic of horsey's head... not a huge blaze or anything, just a small bit of white. What do you think? Can he do bling? (I hope!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spree headshot .jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	36467  
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion! Kim has been suggested to me by a few different folks. She is based at Applewood, correct? I am just a bit concerned about the turnout situation there - my horse is used to getting quite a bit more time outside than what I believe they are able to offer...
    You have a trailer, right?
    You could always board some place close to home with the turnout you want and then trailer out to your lessons. I can never find trainer+closeness+turnout+affordability in one barn so I board someplace that mucks/feeds/turns out/checks the horse daily and then trailer out to lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    WRT full seats, some of them give you a little bit of extra "stick", while still being flexible, and allowing you to shift your seat when you want to.

Others are TOO sticky or TOO stiff. You need to try them on with a saddle.

I happen to like TuffRider and Tropical Rider.
    Good deal, will have to give those a try.

Quote Originally Posted by AppendixQHLover View Post
    I moved over from Hunter land a while back and love it. The saddle is very different. My poor thigh muscles were expressing themselves at first with relaxing. When I do some jumping the shorter stirrups bug me.

I have a couple pairs of full-seats but they feel like I have a diaper on. I do want to try FITS but holding off right now. I haven't been showing much since having a green bean who is just now learning how to carry himself like a big boy and not a bull in china shop. He is challenged (in the head).
    Yeah, that wearing a diaper feeling is what I remember. Good to know that there are full seats that are a bit more forgiving

One of the big things I like about dressage is I can braid my hair and roll it onto the base of my neck. I can't stand sticking my hair up in the helmet. The braid is very neat and professional. I do wear a hairnet so there is no loose pieces. Also I can take the helmet off and put on baseball hat and not flip out on hunter hair.

For schooling shows you don't have to wear a coat which is nice when it is 100 degrees and your melting in a coat. Just a polo shirt WITH sleeves is suitable.

You can have a reader up to a certain level. Which I enjoy because I get lost on hunter courses. (YOU are off course, leave now)

Your horse will develop a different topline from his current. His hind end will really build up from the different movement.

Let's what else...

Try all different saddles. I rode in a albion for the longest time when I was very heavy. Now that I am *normal* the saddle is just way to big. I slide all over the place. I am saving for a Stubben with the bio-mex seat.
    I imagine it will take a while to get over not wearing hunter hair, LOL. Which reminds me ... what sort of helmet rules are there? I am guessing my GPA is going to be out of place

I can well imagine that my horse's top line will likely change, and I've gotten the message about the saddle shopping. Guess I will wait on that and focus on bridle shopping instead!!
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    You have a trailer, right?
    You could always board some place close to home with the turnout you want and then trailer out to your lessons. I can never find trainer+closeness+turnout+affordability in one barn so I board someplace that mucks/feeds/turns out/checks the horse daily and then trailer out to lessons.
    Actually, I sold the trailer...

I just no longer have the time to do my own shipping, unfortunately. There is no way I'd be able to ship out for lessons (I am barely able to fit lessons in at our home barn at the moment, sigh.)

It's the same catch-22 that a lot of working adults have. Need the job to afford the pony habit, but the job that pays enough to cover that indulgence ain't exactly a 9-5 gig! I am very fortunate that I love what I do professionally, but it's a demanding position and requires a lot of hours.
    -PaulaEdwina

I imagine it will take a while to get over not wearing hunter hair, LOL. Which reminds me ... what sort of helmet rules are there? I am guessing my GPA is going to be out of place
    I still do hunter hair and plenty of people show in GPAs. You have to ride in a helmet through Fourth.

My current schooling attire is skinny jeans, a pair of Konigs, a polo, and a brown velvet CO with hunter hair. Horse wears jumper boots. In the winter I am more than happy to break out the full chaps.

For schooling shows/clinics I switch the jeans for a pair of navy knee patch breeches and the horse goes in white polos.

Hmmm. That makes sense. Here is a pic of horsey's head... not a huge blaze or anything, just a small bit of white. What do you think? Can he do bling? (I hope!)
    What a beautiful face! I think your horse can TOTALLY do some bling. This website has links to all sorts of exciting browband shops. I love when I can live vicariously through other people's shopping!
    http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2008...browbands.html

Welcome to Dressage!
    When you are ready to shop for a new Dressage saddle, be sure to check out the Custom Saddle. mysaddle.com. They have some beautiflul options for leather color. They will build a saddle according to your measurements, and offer a wonderful 10 day trial. I love my custom. It has improved my ability to 'sit in' immensely.
    Passier, and Otto Schumacher bridles are very nice. I have seen some beautiful brown dressage bridles.
    I imagine you will be shopping for a pair of tall boots as well. Konigs make gorgeous custom made boots. My coach has many pairs, and one of my favotites is her brown ones!
    There are many international riders, competing in brown tack. So if you stick with brown, I'd say you would be very fashionable.
    There you have it, you could be a complete matched set, and look fabulous for your new dressage adventure
    Best of luck, and keep us all posted

Which reminds me ... what sort of helmet rules are there? I am guessing my GPA is going to be out of place
    The predominant brand at my barn is Charles Owen, but I honestly don't think anybody cares and I'm probably the only one who notices (I'm always looking for irresponsible-shopping inspiration). eta: and I wear a CO because it fits my headache-prone head

I wear a charles owens since it fits my head 100x better than a GPA. Oval head in a round head helmet = major headache.

I just prefer my braid. I rode saddle seat and western for years so it was habit to do that.

I understand about the working professional thing. There are some days that I work until 3 and there are some that I work until 5. I also didn't mention that I am at my desk at 6 am everday.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Quote Originally Posted by LShipley View Post
    What a beautiful face! I think your horse can TOTALLY do some bling. This website has links to all sorts of exciting browband shops. I love when I can live vicariously through other people's shopping!
    http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2008...browbands.html
    Aw, thanks. He's a sweetheart and he's definitely my heart horse...

That link is terrific (looks like I am not going to get much done at work today, LOL... I am fine with that for once!!!) I love tack shopping!!
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor2 View Post
    Is Gigi Nutter anywhere near you?
    http://www.touchngofarm.com/

And for heaven's sake, in the dressage world no one cares what saddle you have or what bridle you have. Leave that stuff behind in hunter jumper land, please!
    She is freakin' terrificn but I don't know whether she specifically boards/trains students or just takes horses in for training and she is not SOCLOSE to Alpharetta.

Carolyn Bell is a nice trainer who does dressage and some H/J and might help you transition. I have not been at her barn in ages, no idea about facilities.

Welcome to the dark side. My similar foray lasted on hot minute... but I do luff my dressage clothes and tack. That sit... gathering dust...
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by Wyserman View Post
    Welcome to Dressage!
    When you are ready to shop for a new Dressage saddle, be sure to check out the Custom Saddle. mysaddle.com. They have some beautiflul options for leather color. They will build a saddle according to your measurements, and offer a wonderful 10 day trial. I love my custom. It has improved my ability to 'sit in' immensely.
    Passier, and Otto Schumacher bridles are very nice. I have seen some beautiful brown dressage bridles.
    I imagine you will be shopping for a pair of tall boots as well. Konigs make gorgeous custom made boots. My coach has many pairs, and one of my favotites is her brown ones!
    There are many international riders, competing in brown tack. So if you stick with brown, I'd say you would be very fashionable.
    There you have it, you could be a complete matched set, and look fabulous for your new dressage adventure
    Best of luck, and keep us all posted
    Thanks! I am really looking forward to my new adventure (and all the help and warm welcomes here have made it even more fun )

I will definitely check out the bridle suggestions. While my horse is pretty straightforward to fit saddle-wise, he has a long face and I often have to mix and match regular and OS pieces to fit him correctly...so that might take a bit of extra shopping, perhaps.

The boots sound pretty stunning. They will have to be, because I imagine people would probably laugh at my croc-detailed field boots. <sob>

So ... given that I had no idea there was such a thing as brown dressage tack (such a newbie, LOL)... I confess I am now conflicted. I mean, I like my current tack a lot, and I have several really pretty bridles (all with hook studs, of course.) But my horse is black, and I was kinda thinking he'd look pretty fab in black...

And did I mention I love tack shopping?

So - opinions, please. Do I look for black, or brown?!
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by suzier444 View Post
    The predominant brand at my barn is Charles Owen, but I honestly don't think anybody cares and I'm probably the only one who notices (I'm always looking for irresponsible-shopping inspiration). eta: and I wear a CO because it fits my headache-prone head
    Regular CO's? The velvet or microfiber covered ones? That would be cool since I have (and like) an AYR8. It's not as cool in summer compared to the GPA which I use for schooling, but I preferred the more traditional appearance for shows.

Quote Originally Posted by AppendixQHLover View Post
    I wear a charles owens since it fits my head 100x better than a GPA. Oval head in a round head helmet = major headache.

I just prefer my braid. I rode saddle seat and western for years so it was habit to do that.

I understand about the working professional thing. There are some days that I work until 3 and there are some that I work until 5. I also didn't mention that I am at my desk at 6 am everday.
    Yep, right now I have days that I start about that early and finish 13-14 hours later... it's a bear. While it won't always be that way for me, best case is probably a ten hour day most of the time. Luckily I do have some flexibility at times, and I do get a generous amount of vacation!
    -PaulaEdwina