The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

Default Difference between a hunter shadbelly and a dressage shadbelly?

I've been in the market for a shad. I've been looking in tack stores but also watching eBay. Many of the shads listed are clearly marked dressage or hunter or I'm familiar with the brands, but some are not. What, aside from the brass buttons, is the difference between a hunter shad and a dressage shad?

IIRC, some Dressage shads have weighted tails. Last thing you want going over a fence.

You don't NEED a shad for the Hunters. Save up for the correct one instead of going off type.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

It is also the cut of the tails & shape. Dressage tails are longer & more "squared" looking.

You may find the tails in dressage shads to have a leather lining (or some fabric type that tolerates the sweat better). Hunter shads will have a fabric lining.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Quote Originally Posted by Giddy-up View Post

...Dressage tails are longer....
    ...leather lining.
    That too...leather or sweat ressitant fabric adds weight and a little too much going on over a fence there.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thanks for the info! I wasn't going to try to use a dressage shad by any means, and have no intention of buying an iffy shad, I was mostly just curious about the differences. The weighting and leather lining make sense. I pretty much know exactly what I want, I just keep looking to see if a deal pops up (one did and I missed it narrowly), but I do need one for zones this year, assuming I make it, lol.

Call Farmhouse Tack! I have a shad in the mail from them right now that I can't wait to get. I emailed them my size and asked if they had anything for a deal; They came up with an RJ Classics with black lining, plaid points and pink trim. The best part - it was $99!!!

Why are weighted tails so bad over fences? They aren't an anchor or anything, you can still ride a proper two-point, so why the concern? I know exactly why you want weighted tails for dressage but never understood why hunters specificlaly want not-weighted??

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Why are weighted tails so bad over fences? They aren't an anchor or anything, you can still ride a proper two-point, so why the concern? I know exactly why you want weighted tails for dressage but never understood why hunters specificlaly want not-weighted??
    You probably won't enjoy it if they fly around and smack you in the back/face, and neither does the horse enjoy being smacked by a shad on course
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    You probably won't enjoy it if they fly around and smack you in the back/face, and neither does the horse enjoy being smacked by a shad on course
    Dressage tails aren't weighted that heavily. Usually its just the leather lining or a bit of heavier material. Neither of mine have any weighting apart from the heavy lining. Only about the weight of a stirrup leather - without the stirrup. They are certainly not long enough to "smack me in the face" and would barely reach my back. If I ever decided to jump in a tail coat (for what I can't imagine, I usually event) I'd be quite happy wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by phoebetrainer View Post
    Dressage tails aren't weighted that heavily. Usually its just the leather lining or a bit of heavier material. Neither of mine have any weighting apart from the heavy lining. Only about the weight of a stirrup leather - without the stirrup. They are certainly not long enough to "smack me in the face" and would barely reach my back. If I ever decided to jump in a tail coat (for what I can't imagine, I usually event) I'd be quite happy wearing them.

My trainer had a old one that had actual weights, like bean bags, in the tail. I wouldn't want that flying around striking me or my horse in the sides/ back. I was kidding about the face but some shads do have awfully long tails. Even if they're only lightly weighted, I probably wouldn't want them flying around.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Haha! A weighted shad hitting you is actually kind of funny, but not what I'm looking for. I used to borrow one when I rode my older boy, mr. Grant himself, and HE noticed the difference in the lengths of the tail from a regular hunt coat, let alone a weighted tail. Seeing my younger horses react to a weighted tail on them would be comical, as long as I'm not the one up there dealing with it, lol!

I realize that most are not heavily weighted, but I'd imagine there's still a difference.

I will call farmhouse! Thanks for the scoop!