The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default back pain + headaches

I've been spending my days a barns for 6 months now without much issue. However, as of two weeks ago after standing at the barn all day I've had lower back pain and usually I get tension headaches in a band around my head. Maybe my paddock boot insoles have finally worn out? I'm not sure. I could try replacing them.

Any ideas as to what cold be causing this out of no where? The only thing that's changed in the past few months is that I stopped working out as much in my spare time.

right path to start, change your insoles...or shoes entirely... that's a common cause of non-injury back pain.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Pelvic tilt exercises will help also. I have terrible posture, and the small of my back is really curved in (making my butt look like it sticks out behind me and my stomach in front of me). I did the pelvic tilt exercises and it really helped to eliminate my lower back pain (I also head headaches)

You can also do some hip flexor stretches and upper back strengthening.

I would probably say your decrease in working out may be a contributing factor.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Sometimes out of the blue my back will bother me with nothing seemingly triggering it. I am dealing with that right now. I agree that trying different boots or insoles might help. You might also want to alternate the boots you wear every couple of days.

The two could be unrelated. Always in August and September I get awful headaches. My Doctor friend attributes it to allergies but I get no other allergy symptoms.

If for some reason your muscles have tightened up a massage may help relieve tension and help both problems.

Your best bet is to schedule an appointment with your PCP and get a referral to a neurologist. Headaches (especially new ones) are not to be ignored.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

That scenario usually means I need my neck to be adjusted by my chiro

i switched to vibrams a couple years ago and my chronic lower back pain disappeared in two days.

Now when I ride and switch to ariats, I have to get out of them right after I get out of the saddle. If I start walking around in them for more than a couple mins, the back pain comes right back.

I used to have orthotics and stuff, nothing helped. don't need any of it as long as i stay 'barefoot'

I used to have horrible back pain as soon as I got to the barn, before lifting or doing anything, i could never figure out why. after i took my 'shoes' off, i realized the ground was uneven (not much, but enough I guess) and i was doing all the balancing with my lower back. once the shoes were off, my feet took care of everything.

everybody says i'm crazy to wear them to the barn,but i've never had any problems with being stepped on. As a kid we were barefoot around horses all the time, not sure if i just learned to stay out of the way or or if mine are just too lazy to jump around and step on me. lol

I have Merrell sneakers which use Vibram and I LOVE them. That being said as I work at barns it would be unprofessional to walk around barefoot or in sneakers. Need workboots.

Thankfully I have to see my doctor this month anyway for my yearly blood test (I'm prone to anemia--the fainting kind--so I get checked every year) so I'll bring up the headaches then. I'm pretty certain the headaches and the back pain are related though because it starts at the base of my neck and then spreads around my head like a band--indicating poor posture/stiff back muscles are a cause.

I agree. I think first I'll give insoles a try and then if that fails i'll get back into doing yoga and strengthening my back. Rotating paddock boots seems like a good idea as well. Thanks guys!

I had a herniated disk last year, so I am very careful with how I do things now. I work 12 hr shifts and felt my lower back would "tighten and compress" after being on my feet. I started wearing my custom orthotics that I had only used for running. They helped alot, but I found stretching helped the most. Tight hamstrings really do a number on your lower back. I have tension headaches also, and by doing yoga, it has helped tremendously. My husband has a Back Revolution, and by "hanging" on it, I can feel the muscles unkink and the spine lengthen. It has also helped with the headaches by freeing up the kinks. Tension headaches are the worst. Hopefully Excedrin will be back on the market soon, as it is my go to drug!

Lower back pain usually results from being on your feet in shoes that aren't supporting you. Headache may or may not be related.

Try upping water intake, take the time to do some stretching (neck, lower back, hamstrings).
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I had some muscle pain behind my shoulder blade that caused me to have headaches ( i never get a headache) a few trips to a chiropractor did the trick.
    If you are on your feet all day could be with getting tired your posture is lacking .

I would suggest a trip to your doctor.