The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tekna Tack Sizing- a little funky? *Update*

Hi All,

I'm interested in buying a complete line of tekna products. Saddle, girth, leathers, bridle, reins, breastplate w/ running martingale attachment, boots... the works. I'm kind of trying to make a statement (you don't have to be rich and buy expensive tack to ride and compete- at least that's what I'm trying to tell my husband *conspiratorial grin*) but that's another story

So, anyway, I went to look at the saddle today and loved it. I started browsing around the other products and noticed something odd. Their sizes (for everything but the saddle) are something like pony, cob & full. I was instantly depressed since my mare is a moose and takes everything oversized.

My wonderful tack store rep here in Phoenix told me that the sizing is a little funny. The pony is really a cob, the cob is a normal full and the full is actually what we think of as oversized. Kind of makes sense I guess and the labels that whoever imports (?) or distributes them seem to agree with this logic. The company "not bein' from 'round these parts" does things a little differently perhaps.

So. Has anyone had experience with this? Will a "full" tekna figure 8, boots, etc. fit my moose?

I hope!

**Update**
    Just received my bridle. I ordered the full size after a Tekna rep told me they run large and tend to fit horses with big heads. It certainly does appear to be oversized! I'm going to take it up to the barn tomorrow to compare it to her current bridle. Mare still isn't in AZ, she's arriving in 2 weeks or so. The bridle is GORGEOUS though! I can't believe how leather-like it is!
    Last edited by AllEars; Aug. 27, 2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Update
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

Brand-spanking new JustWorld International Ambassador!

We just ordered the cob sized open front boots for our 15.1 hh quarter horse. The came, marked S, and turned out to be pony sized. We sent them back for the M, which I think is full (not sure- it's the next size up from cob), and they fit perfectly. I don't think they would work for "normal" sized horses- the M is what I would consider cob size. Regardless of the funky sizing, I do really like the boots, and they look great on!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

It's so odd. Whenever I see the actual boots in a tack store, the package is marked "full" and the printed labels say "oversized." Lady at tack store said that Tekna's full size is actually oversized. My main concern is whether the "full" bridle will fit my "oversized" horse. I've not seen the bridle in a store, so I don't know if the labeling is the same.

I guess there's only one way to find out. Buy it, try it and post it on COTH!
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

Brand-spanking new JustWorld International Ambassador!

The bridles do run generous and my friend has an ISH moose that she uses the Figure 8 in full on. He usually takes an oversize. Try it! I love my clip bridle for swapping out bits as a training bridle!