The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FEI dressage horse leases- How to find them

I know the best way to find a FEI horse for lease is to ask around, and I am starting to do that. BUT, what other ideas does anyone have to find a decent FEI horse for lease. I am really looking for a horse that I can get more show miles on and possibly bring up a few levels.

So how in the world do I get the word out. I have had a couple people contact me about their lower level horses. I also have been offered to take two different upper level horses recently, but due to my own retired horses, I can't risk it right now. Finally, right now I can't buy a FEI horse. I have two that are retired at my farm and just bought a young horse a few months ago. I know this isn't going to be easy, but for the right situation, it could be win-win for everyone involved.
    Last edited by Dev.R; Jul. 20, 2012 at 09:05 PM.

It's not that I don't wish you the best of luck, but ...

The people I've known who are willing to lease an already-FEI dressage horse have wanted the horse to stay at their facility and/or with the same trainer. And none of them have been up-and-coming.

Others with the resources to own an FEI horse that they're not riding themselves are paying for a pro to train and campaign them.

Putting yourself out there, as you are, with videos of your skills and a very good reason why someone would want to invest in your development (seriously, consider the risks involved before you tell them it'll be a win-win!) and getting your trainer on board, calling everyone she knows, as well, are your best chances.

Actually, I think your very best option is to get financial support and buy your horse. However, I turned down an offer of an FEI horse because I was already financially responsible for two horses, so I am very empathetic to your situation.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

1 members found this post helpful.

Dont know if you would be a match, but there is an interesting (and apparently HOT) Russian bred horse, free lease, under giveaways.

Edited to add: he is a giveaway, not free lease, thread titled FEI schoolmaster.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Unfortunately, 'hot' can sometimes be a euphemism for 'stark raving MAD'. Giftee beware! I do not know this horse, have not seen the ad - just saying...
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

And on the flip side one dressage queens hot is another riders forward thinking horse

There was the one horse I had given to me years ago that the lady hunted me down when she found out we were showing her to tell me I was going to get hurt on that crazy horse!

She ended up selling as a childrens hunter with a sales video where a 12 year old jumped sans reins and stirrups LOL she sold within one weekend of that ad going up (sigh I still miss her )
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Default I have one!!

I realize that I'm a little late to the post, but I have a lovely PSG horse that I desperately trying to find a half-lease situation for in the NYC area. Where are you?

Default Looking for FEI Dressage hors for lease to get my gold medal on

I am a trainer in MD and am looking for a horse to get my Gold Medal on. My current FEI horse became allergic and was unable to breath. I trained him to Grand Prix but was unable to show because of the circumstances. Will consider a horse going 4th/Prix St. George with potential to go to Grand Prix. Please view my experiences on LKMDressage on FB or contact me at LKMDressage@gmail.com

Default Looking for FEI Dressage horse for lease to get my gold medal on

I am a trainer in MD and am looking for a horse to get my Gold Medal on. My current FEI horse became allergic and was unable to breath. I trained him to Grand Prix but was unable to show because of the circumstances. Will consider a horse going 4th/Prix St. George with potential to go to Grand Prix. Please view my experiences on LKMDressage on FB or contact me at LKMDressage@gmail.com

What happened to the OP, Dev. R? Was this an aggressive hijack by lkmdressage? Or are they alters?
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I just saw an ad on WBs for Sale for a GP Schoolmaster lease. The video is interesting, to say the least, but there could be a 12 yr old GP horse hiding in there...

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    What happened to the OP, Dev. R? Was this an aggressive hijack by lkmdressage? Or are they alters?
    Thread was hijacked, I didn't post that. Granted, ironically I just started to look for another FEI horse to ride/lease as the one I have been showing just got brought up to another state for their daughter to ride.

Old thread, too.

Ended up w/my current lease via my trainer, fwiw.