The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TAKEN- Rusty Pony Eventer in East Texas, needs private turnout

Located in Palestine, TX (45 minutes south of Tyler)

Due to family stuff and a complete lack of time (and not having a saddle that really fits the pony at the moment), I just haven’t been able to keep up with a second horse lately. Rocket Pony just hasn’t been getting any attention, and I’d like to see her go to a home where she’s adored.

Rocket is an 8-year old, 13.3hh half-Arab pony. She’s a very easy keeper – barefoot and fat. I’ve had her since she was 3 (got her from another COTHer). She has evented, trail-ridden, done some summer camp stuff and given the occasional pony ride. She’s generally laid-back under saddle and fairly poky; however, she’s not really a kid’s horse or a lesson pony. She needs to go to a home where she’ll have one main rider/caretaker and can be kept separated from other horses. (She is very social, though, and gets very, very attached… she just tends to abuse her friends.) She needs a confident teen or adult. She’s short, but handles weight well… she’s carried average-sized adult men without complaint. I’m 5’7” and her big round barrel takes my leg just fine.

Rocket’s main issue – and the reason I’m not just keeping her as a pasture ornament like I originally intended – is her pasture behavior. She’s very dominant and especially food-aggressive. She and my big TB mare get along well 90% of the time, but on the occasions that she attacks, the result is not pretty (and it’s generally unprovoked). She can also be fairly aggressive with dogs -- she’s quite good at keeping strays and wild animals out of the pasture. She is fine with cows, though, and leaves the calves alone. Her aggressive pasture behavior seems to get worse when she’s not getting regular attention/handling… making her much more difficult these days since I’ve been too busy for her. She’s got fairly good ground manners when being handled (a little rusty at the moment, but she gets it back quickly), and will stand tied for ages, but I have small kiddos and I just don’t trust them going out in the pasture with her around. She has run at them before when loose. She has tried to bite twice, both times when somebody has gotten between me and her. She seems quite protective of me. Again, the aggression is MUCH better when she’s getting regular attention. Throughout my pregnancy, I took her for daily hand-walks in the woods because she was easier to handle than my dogs, and she just ate it up. I trusted her completely then.

She’s not been ridden much in the last two years (I’ll get her going and ride regularly for a month or two, then she’ll have a few months off). Before that, she was ready to event at Beginner Novice. She loves XC and has schooled Meadowcreek and Texas Rose a bunch. She’s done a schooling HT at Starter level at Meadowcreek and did the BN Level 1 (2’3”) at Corona del Sol a few years ago. She’s schooled everything on the old Novice course at the Texas Rose, and I’ve jumped her 3’3” at home. When she was in regular work, she had no problems with ditches, banks, water… she’d really do anything for me. She will ‘spook’ at new things, but it’s not a dirty spook—just a stop and stare. Her dressage can be quite nice when she’s in shape (which she is NOT right now!). She seems to really like having one person, and will give her all for that one… as long as I’m around, she will be pretty good for anyone else, too. The one time she’s really acted up under saddle (other than some greenie moments when she was 3), was the one time my trainer had a kid on her while I wasn’t there. She really just wants to be a one person horse, or at least have her person nearby.

She loves baths, clips fine (I've clipped her out in the pasture with no halter), trailers fine… she’s not amazing for the farrier, but she’s got good, hard pony feet and thankfully doesn’t need shoes. (She stands for him much nicer when she’s been worked with regularly.) She likes trail rides, but doesn’t like being ridden on the road with cars.

I just want her to go to a really good home where she’ll be appreciated and either handled regularly or just kept by herself for everyone’s safety.

Pictures:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=4b0b906705 (trot)
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=0a263def53 (barn summer camp)
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=f0ec2bd8a3
    (XC)
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=c49b783dc9 (jump)
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=d186de0824 (her first xc school, barn kid riding)
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=d3cf33e43d (conformation)

Looking back through old pictures is really making me sad. When this pony is good, she’s really good. We’ve had some good times together. I wish she fit better into my life right now. Hopefully the right person is out there for her!
    Last edited by archieflies; Jul. 31, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

She's a real cutie, no rider here either.

Thanks!

I have one person coming to check her out tomorrow... my farrier's wife. I figure the farrier knows her issues, so if he's interested, I really, really, hope it works out! I took her out for a lesson today after not doing much more than pony rides for the last few months. Despite her XXXL size, she jumped around like a pro. A group of pony moms were hanging out watching their kids and all wanted her for their kids. Sorry, no little people, but this pony will make one heck of a hrse for the right person!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

Just dropped Rocket off at her new home, where she'll be helping my farrier's wife get back into jumping. So excited for them!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

2 members found this post helpful.

Glad your pony found a good home!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde