The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boot Trees?

I bought a pair of off the rack Parlanti boots around the beginning of May. Really, really beautiful boots that I have only worn a handful of times due to not showing a lot yet. I'm a bit of a fanatic about cleaning them and hope to care for them the best I can so that they last a long time. I had been meaning to get boot trees for them and yesterday at the tack store I got these:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/ariat-...ees-3755p.aspx

My only concern is the possibility of the trees stretching my boots. Could this happen? Does anyone have these trees?

I didn't use trees at all on my previous pairs of cheaper boots, so I'm not sure exactly how tight they should be inside the boots. Right now I have to squeeze the spring handle all the way to get the plastic pieces close enough together to go into the boot. Once inside they don't expand back at all. They also seem tighter on the front of the boot than the back. On the front I can see an outline of the top of the tree. The boots have a slim calf that fits just perfectly right now and I would hate to ruin that Advice?

I've used these for my boots for years and have never had a problem!

I use boot trees but I didn't really like the plastic ones. I went with cedar boot trees like these:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/cedar-b...re=viewbuyrec/

To keep the trees from collapsing (if my boots were to fall over or something) I ball up a thick sock and shove it in the boot once the trees are in. The cedar helps to absorb moisture and deodorizes too.

Do not put boot trees in when your boots are damp, either from rain or sweat; they will stretch the calves out.

When I was fitting boots at Horse Country I really didn't recommend spring boot trees because you can't control the amount of expansion. I preferred the cedar trees that could be adjusted.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Couldn't find any pictures of my boot trees. I have boot trees in two parts, one slides into the foot like any cedar foot tree. Then the tall stick is spring loaded with an S shaped hook near the top handle, that goes into the boot loops. One end of the stick has a fork that goes over the cedar foot tree, other end is the handle. You twist the stick to unlock the spring, and hooks lift the boot top upward to keep the ankle leather from cracking. There is nothing touching the boot sides to stretch the shaping. Lets any dampness inside dry quickly because the boot shaft is wide open.

I have several pairs of these stick boot trees and really like them for keeping the tall boots in good condition when not wearing them. Boots never fall over or get saggy folds with these sticks.

I got my first set of these trees from Dehner with my boots, WAY back. Best design I ever saw for keeping the boots in good shape, not allowing them to get folded or mishapen while stored. Not sure if the store selling the boots provided the boot trees or Dehner, as part of the order.