The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ahem...suddenly I have become a popular attraction at my barn with the new barn workers...on weekdays I can't make it up to the barn until @ 7:30 PM or so...usually no one else there (nice!)...lately, every night, the new barn workers (don't know what to PC call them...crew?) creep up on me (one at a time) and scare the bejesus out of me by just appearing out of the silence...they then proceed to flirt (I speak un poco Spanish, so this doesn't get very far) and want a "hug" hello, etc. Let me be clear...I do not even know these guys - I barely know their names and haven't done anything to indicate interest! Plus, I'm 41! They are all in their early 20's. The other night, all three came to the barn and I actually thought for a moment: Gee, I hope no one gets any funny ideas...I'd be screwed (pun intended).
    Barn owner is in his 80's, and looks at my breasts when he talks to me, so I doubt he'll be much help.
    I don't wanna piss anyone off 'cause I don't want it taken out on my horse.
    BTW, great upkeep, turnout, trails, etc. so I don't want to leave this barn.
    Ideas appreciated!

My horse bucked off your honor student!

Founder: LOFL (lawn ornaments for life) clique

[This message was edited by gambit on Jan. 22, 2003 at 03:43 PM.]

Ahem...suddenly I have become a popular attraction at my barn with the new barn workers...on weekdays I can't make it up to the barn until @ 7:30 PM or so...usually no one else there (nice!)...lately, every night, the new barn workers (don't know what to PC call them...crew?) creep up on me (one at a time) and scare the bejesus out of me by just appearing out of the silence...they then proceed to flirt (I speak un poco Spanish, so this doesn't get very far) and want a "hug" hello, etc. Let me be clear...I do not even know these guys - I barely know their names and haven't done anything to indicate interest! Plus, I'm 41! They are all in their early 20's. The other night, all three came to the barn and I actually thought for a moment: Gee, I hope no one gets any funny ideas...I'd be screwed (pun intended).
    Barn owner is in his 80's, and looks at my breasts when he talks to me, so I doubt he'll be much help.
    I don't wanna piss anyone off 'cause I don't want it taken out on my horse.
    BTW, great upkeep, turnout, trails, etc. so I don't want to leave this barn.
    Ideas appreciated!

[This message was edited by gambit on Jan. 22, 2003 at 03:43 PM.]

Wear a ring, doesn't have to be real. Talk about "mi novio" which is boyfriend. Make him up. Have one of us call your cell, pretend its him. He is MUY busy with his "trabajo" and can't get out to see you ride very often...You get the idea.

EMPLOYED!!!! Finally!! I started at Cosi and didn't spill anything on anyone (yet), Dupont North for all you VA/MD/DC'ers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

I had a similar problem only I speak no Spanish AT ALL. I had a guy friend who speaks Spanish go to the barn with me and tell them I was engaged to him. It's a lie, but they don't know it. Worked like a charm.

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Been there, done that!
    I wear a large diamond (from Ex fiancé), took current BF to barn (he lives in Canada, so only here once or twice a month)...
    Any other ideas!

Ummmmmm...explain slowly that they SCARE you. I am sure they understand more than they let on...and its probably harmless, just a different culture.

EMPLOYED!!!! Finally!! I started at Cosi and didn't spill anything on anyone (yet), Dupont North for all you VA/MD/DC'ers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Heineken, I think you're probably right in that they understand more than they let on! Good point!
    vxf111, maybe I should "borrow" your friend!

Hi there Gambit!

trabajo is "work" (trah-bah-ho)

novio is boyfriend (know-bee-o)

I HATE barn lurkers and won't tolerate them. I have to disagree that it is just "their culture". Being from Miami I am all too familiar with "their culture", being blonde and blue eyed doesn't help either in this situation. No offense to latins or mexicans whatsoever, JMHO, heck, maybe just men in general at times. lol.

I would work the the mucho trabajo plan. Just come in, keep your space, be polite but cut them off before they start. It sounds harsh, but I know I absolutely cherish my time with my horse AND not to mention the money it costs to even own one and something like that would take away from it.

Love my Quarter Horse!

GA Clique!!!
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

Ya wanna borrow Jeff? Sure? I should hook y'all up for real.

(1) he's your age
    (2) he's single
    (3) he's got a horse
    (4) he's sweet

What's not to like?

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"
    ~Veronica

Veronica!!!! FORGET the grooming box, send the man!!!!!!!!

BTW: Is your horse QH?

Stoney is registered paint but he's a cropout from a l-o-n-g line of QHs. So technically he's not a QH but for all intents and purposes he is... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stoneyandveronicatrotonrail.gif 
Views:	511 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	7152  
    ~Veronica

His name gave it away...Sonny Dee Bar MUCH in his pedigree? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I've got a QH who's name I actually changed because it was AWFUL and not cute at all, now he's Forget Paris.

On topic: I was not using Latino culture as an excuse, just that sometimes men don't realize they are being offensive or creeping you out until you TELL them.

Stoney has Sonny Dee Bar on the top and the bottom and apparently came from a ranch that ONLY bred Sonny Dee babies. Stoney came out paint and they weren't looking for paints, just solid QH. So he was a western reject and is now thriving and the cutest little h/j you've ever seen. I don't mind his name, although I wouldn't have named him that. When he hears it announced at shows he pricks his ears and gets excited-- he *knows* "The Son Dee Times" means its his turn to shine.

On topic: The same Mexican employee at my old barn who had to be scared off by Jeff also LOVED Stoney [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] So I was totally his dream woman cuz if he got me, he got his favorite horse too. Wait, Gambit... maybe they just like you for your horse? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Maybe tell them your horse is spoken for??? LOL

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"
    ~Veronica

OK, so WHAT'S WRONG WITH HIM? And why haven't YOU scooped him up?
    I'm blonde & blue eyed, too...such a curse!
    Gambit IS a very gregarious horse...and the most handsome at the barn...but they'll NEVER take him away from me! he's mine! Mine! Mine!

What's wrong with him is that he's mid 40s. I am mid 20s. Other than that, nothing!

"The Son Dee Times"
    ~Veronica

And he's straight? And rides? And you don't like older men?

Where do you board Gambit? e-mail privately if you like.

Love my Quarter Horse!

GA Clique!!!
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

my husband is 46, I'm 32, there ain't a thang wrong with dating an older man:

they know how to pay their bills
    they know how to treat their momma
    they know relationships are work sometimes-not all late nights at bars and the next get together with their fraternity brothers.
    their friends are 'real people'- you know, grown ups. They own houses, horses, or maybe a condo at the beach. you can take real trips because only one of you is still paying off student loans.

c'mon, go to dinner at least, what's the harm???

Why not?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

hey! who's side are you on?????????

How do you say, "My boyfriend is a body builder and a former boxing champion with anger management problems, and oh he just got out of prison" in spanish? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?