The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need more room in the browband

Are there certain brands of bridles that tend to run larger in the browband than others or are they all pretty standard? I ask because both of my horses have issues with their bridles wanting to pinch around their ears...like the browband isn't long enough for them. Both are QH types who wear a horse size and the browband is the only area where they need more room. I thought it was just an issue with my older guy but now that I've got the younger guy, I'm running into the same issue with him... so it must be a fairly common problem. I've thought about buying larger brow bands separately but worry that the leather won't match the current bridles. I don't currently show either horse but would like to have a bridle that would look presentable in the show ring if needed. Any suggestions?
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

UGH i have the OPPOSITE problem. My OTTB needs a SMALLER brow band. I just bought him the Nantucket bridle from Smartpak and it was huge. I tried the cob size and the brow band fit better, but the rest was on the small size (b/c he's 17H and shouldn't wear a cob size!)

You can usually buy the same brand/color browband separately. This place sells bridles by parts: http://justbridles.com/ If you contact the company that makes the bridle, you can usually ask to buy just the browband. I have a horse who wears a cob sized bridle with an oversize browband, so I just buy a separate browband every time I buy a new bridle.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

With some brands, we've had to order a larger browband.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

ditto on justbridles.com . She knows her bridles and can find you a browband will work with your bridle.
    friend of bar.ka

Excellent! Thanks for the suggestions!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Edgewoods tend to run large in the browband department.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Ugh, so frustrating, I hear ya! I've returned more bridles than I can remember. With Edgewood it's easy to get seperate parts but $$, so that's an option. Otherwise, Vespucci was nice and roomy, Smartpak's Wellfleet also works with just enough length, but Vespucci is my go-to for this specific problem.

I have the same problem with my horse. I bought my bridle at Bartville Harness, they will mix and match pieces for fit.

I wound up with cob size cheek pieces, an oversize browband, and horse size cavesson and crown piece. Fits perfect.

Very plain tack, very high quality.

It's an Amish shop so they don't have internet but you can call and leave a message, they will return your call.

The phone number I have for them is 717-529-6992.

Smile

I recommend justbridles.com. I have a qh with a wide forehead and wanted a nice hunter bridle. Ended up getting the aramas fancy stitched padded in horse and oversized. I was really pleased on their customer service and couldn't be happier with the quality of the bridle.

stubben has oversized

Quote Originally Posted by myalter1 View Post
    UGH i have the OPPOSITE problem. My OTTB needs a SMALLER brow band. I just bought him the Nantucket bridle from Smartpak and it was huge. I tried the cob size and the brow band fit better, but the rest was on the small size (b/c he's 17H and shouldn't wear a cob size!)
    I had the same problem with my Harwich bridle and I bought a Cob size browband and put it on the Horse size bridle - Fits perfectly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravestrom View Post
    stubben has oversized
    "Oversized" doesn't mean anything. I make browbands. One of the first things I did was research different brand sizes to see what the standards are. Well, there aren't any.

Amerigo (I think it was) seemed to think that a cob should be a 15, a full sized (horse) should be a 15½ and an oversize 16½.

Another manufacturer (I have a list somewhere, but dunno where it is right now) sez a cob is 14", a full 15½ and an oversize 16".

Kieffer oversized bands are 16 3/4".

Bobby's, I think it was, oversize is 17".

It would be NICE, Mr and Mrs Manufacturer, that instead of giving a name to the size (cob, full, oversize), you give us the actual measurement so that we don't have to guess and aren't Googling everything we can think of to find out what the actual sizes are.

Sorry, just a rant. Nothing to see anymore. Move along, please

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

lovejubal - i wanted to do that with the Nantucket.. but smartpak doesn't sell it in pieces. Whats the quality on the Harwich? The Nantucket was GORGEOUS...