The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Totilas at German nationals 83.5%

breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

I think he did an awesome job and I can only imagine the pressure of being under that microscope.

Did you CFF? Honestly? truly?

I'll tell you how that performance made me feel. As if I wanted to cry. Look how thin Totilas is. Look how irregular he is in his extended trots. Lame? Bridle lame? Just registering his unhappiness? Have you seen the video of his GP where he kicks out Violently at the rider's leg when changing from one steep canter half pass to another? He got 10 for that from one of the judges. Those three things are facts. He is thin. He is horribly irregular in his extensions. He did kick out.

This part isn't fact, this is opinion. Look how the horse appears to have lost his joie de vivre. Toto isn't proud to show off to the crowds any more. He looks sad.

The whole thing makes me sad. They are breaking that horse, first mentally and now physically. Will he be considered sound enough to go to London? I just hope that once the Olympics are over Totilas is allowed to retire from competition. I don't want to watch him any more.

Thanks for sharing, that was just lovely! What a mesmerizing horse
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by stolensilver View Post

I'll tell you how that performance made me feel. As if I wanted to cry. Look how thin Totilas is. Look how irregular he is in his extended trots. Lame? Bridle lame? Just registering his unhappiness? Have you seen the video of his GP where he kicks out Violently at the rider's leg when changing from one steep canter half pass to another? He got 10 for that from one of the judges. Those three things are facts. He is thin. He is horribly irregular in his extensions. He did kick out.

This part isn't fact, this is opinion. Look how the horse appears to have lost his joie de vivre. Toto isn't proud to show off to the crowds any more. He looks sad.

The whole thing makes me sad. They are breaking that horse, first mentally and now physically. Will he be considered sound enough to go to London? I just hope that once the Olympics are over Totilas is allowed to retire from competition. I don't want to watch him any more.
    Sad, really?

I saw a rider sitting on a freight train performing a good test in an arena where, I'm sure, you could hear a pin drop.

I posted because with 159 views and no replies I figured everyone was waiting for someone to say something and I have no doubt a lot of it will be negative. As always MHO. You are entitled to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Sad, really?

I saw a rider sitting on a freight train performing a good test in an arena where, I'm sure, you could hear a pin drop.

I posted because with 159 views and no replies I figured everyone was waiting for someone to say something and I have no doubt a lot of it will be negative. As always MHO. You are entitled to yours.
    So Totilas is a "freight train"?

I do agree it is a "good test" the dissappointment is that this was once a great horse.

Yeah dudly hits it on the head. He has his fans and they cant enjoy his current performances... Thats just a shame all the way around.

This isnt hunters... This is a horse that took the top or dressage by storm and essentially went to a inexperienced rider and still wins because he is a "nice" horse that is talented.

The scores are inflated and I rarely RARELY say that.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Yeah dudly hits it on the head. He has his fans and they cant enjoy his current performances... Thats just a shame all the way around.

This isnt hunters... This is a horse that took the top of dressage by storm and essentially went to a inexperienced rider and still wins because he is a "nice" horse that is talented.

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    So Totilas is a "freight train"?

I do agree it is a "good test" the dissappointment is that this was once a great horse.
    Freight train, big train, on the muscle, it's an expression=very strong horse.

I think he's still a great horse. Edward Gal is a much more experienced, accomplished rider, as everyone has pointed out. I think Rath did an great job under the circumstances.

The thing is Totilas never used to be strong. He's changed because of the way he's ridden. Some of the "aids" given with the reins during that video are rough. I admire the horse enormously that he hasn't chucked the job in completely. Many horses would have done.

Yeah, he looks starved and I bet they beat him on regular basis too. I swear, people are so over dramatic about this horse.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post

This isnt hunters... This is a horse that took the top or dressage by storm and essentially went to a inexperienced rider and still wins because he is a "nice" horse that is talented.

Sucks huh? There are LOT'S of horses who go to less experienced riders....Oh well, too bad some of our COTHERS didn't have the 21 million to put out there...since we have so many Olympic calibre riders on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Yeah, he looks starved and I bet they beat him on regular basis too. I swear, people are so over dramatic about this horse.
    Really?

There are other reasons horses lose weight than from lack of food. Being contented is not one of them.

Dal pal you don't get it do you? This isn't about scores. It isn't about whether he's still breaking world records (that only happens on the score card of the German judge who gave him a 10 for the major bronc between canter half passes.)

It's about the horse. He's thin. He's miserable. And no one seems to care as long as he keeps on going round the arena. Except he isn't doing that as well as he was. And thats the only reason he was bought. They've already called in Sjef Janssen to teach them how to rollkur him. What else is going to happen if those scores keep creeping down?

Because this horse did cost big money. He was bought by businessmen and they expect to make their money back. And in order to do that he has to keep performing, no matter how sad or sore he is.

It is easy to be a bit dramatic over the top horse in the world.

I dont feel like he is beaten I feel like he is getting the treatment that MOST school horses get...

As Humphrey Bogart said, none of this amounts to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Come on, people, all this Toto drama is just getting boring

I dunno Disco. I think this debacle epitomises this crazy world. Money can buy anything except happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post

This isnt hunters... This is a horse that took the top of dressage by storm and essentially went to a inexperienced rider and still wins because he is a "nice" horse that is talented.

Yes the scores are huge, but I keep telling myself its a NATIONAL show , not a CDI, and all of the judges were German.

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    Yes the scores are huge, but I keep telling myself its a NATIONAL show , not a CDI, and all of the judges were German.
    Yeah... I hope that is it.

I keep telling MYSELF that dressage isn't turning into hunters where the name and the talent precedes you,.. UGH!

The thing is Totilas never used to be strong. He's changed because of the way he's ridden. Some of the "aids" given with the reins during that video are rough. I admire the horse enormously that he hasn't chucked the job in completely. Many horses would have done.
    Totilas never used to be strong? Why did EG say he refused to ride him at first because he was so strong he scared him?

EG got to ride Totilas' sire and deal with a stallion who could get very difficult. MR hasn't lived through that yet... it goes without saying he's going to struggle with some things he hasn't learned yet.

Now I think the video has finally loaded and I'll check it out, but I predict I will think the drama is overboard just like it was when Totilas was with EG.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed