The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace

The May 31 COTH (now available on line) has Kate's obituary in In The Country. Thanks to whoever helped to make this possible.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

The May 31 COTH (now available on line) has Kate's obituary in In The Country. Thanks to whoever helped to make this possible.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Toronto,Ont.Canada (The land of the riders whoa re good enough for the hot, but choose to stick to the snow)

YAY CK! Everyone is proud of you sweety! We love you.

*sniff*

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. No use being a damned fool about it" -W.C. Fields
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tin:
    *sniff*

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. No use being a damned fool about it" -W.C. Fields<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

me too. That was a really nice write up to whom ever did.

~Christina~
    "I don't patronize bunny rabbits!" -Heathers
    *Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.*

*sniff* too.

"I hold it that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing..." Thomas Jefferson
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

sniff...sniff....
    We miss you Cactuskate [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Wow.
    I wish I could have met her.
    **Member of the Ocularly Challenged Equine Support Group**

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] where everyone shuffled still hugging over to the tissue box [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Here's to Cactuskate! I'm glad I knew you.

KICK ON KATE!

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Cactuskate is awesome. You guys are awesome. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~Erin B #1
    Visit my website!
    "...unfortunately, it's my opinion that matters." -Erin

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] SNIFFF SNIFF [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] That lady was absolutely wonderful and that article was fantastic

TERRI!!!!
    ~*Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and spurs excite me!*~
    ~*From Terri*~

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Resident racing historian
    May the horse be with you -Harvey Pack May you be with the horse - My last trainer
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

When I click on it, I see the article from May 24.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

visit www.victorianfarms.com

How come when I try to look, I only get the May 24th stuff??!!?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Kathy Havens

Kathy Havens of Yuma, Ariz., died at her home on April 14 after a five-month battle with cancer. She was 51.

Mrs. Havens was born in Corvallis, Ore., and attended the University of Oregon in Eugene. In the 1970s and early �80s, she showed successfully in Oregon with her Thoroughbred adult-amateur hunter, Clownin�.

Mrs. Havens always valued the principles of dressage and incorporated them into her hunt seat riding, attending several clinics with Charles de Kunffy.

Mrs. Havens took a break from riding for several years while living in Tucson, Ariz., Nashville, Tenn., and Norcross, Ga., and working in the window-covering business. She moved to Yuma, Ariz., in the late �80s, and returned to riding, concentrating on dressage. After a frustrating three years with a horse who proved to be a poor match, she traded him for another Thoroughbred�a 3-year-old gelding she named Life Is Good, or �Bud��in 1998.

After her diagnosis with stomach cancer last November, Mrs. Havens continued to ride (unbeknownst to her doctors), even while undergoing chemotherapy treatments�she just rigged up a backpack to carry the small oxygen tanks she needed when doing anything exerting.

Mrs. Havens was also an active participant on the Chronicle�s Internet bulletin board, under the moniker �Cactuskate,� and she shared the news of her diagnosis�and how the horses helped keep her going.

Cindy Hale, a freelance journalist and author from Corona, Calif., noticed Mrs. Havens� posts on the bulletin board, and asked to interview her about her passion for horses, as part of a potential book project collecting similar stories.

�Her strength of spirit was expressed in her undying love of horses, even during her illness,� Hale said. �As a writer, I wanted to document this part of her, because she was so filled, not only with a passion for horses, but a passion for life.�

Mrs. Havens told Hale, �When I get on the horse, the view from up there is fantastic. When I�m up on Bud�s back, I�m not sick.�

She is survived by her husband, Gary; mother Lorna Wilson, of Lebanon, Ore., father Al Latham, of Bend, Ore., and sister Judy Adams, of Eugene, Ore.

Her family and friends are hoping to establish a perpetual award in her honor, to be given at a dressage event, enabling the recipient to pursue training for a certain period of time.

Members of the Chronicle�s bulletin board also took up a collection for �Cactuskate,� and contributed more than $2,000, part of which will be used for a memorial ad in the Chronicle, with the rest going to charity.

The family has requested that any donations be made to the Hospice of Yuma, 1824 S. Eighth Ave., Yuma, AZ 85364.

-Amanda

Just keep kicking

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duffy:
    How come when I try to look, I only get the May 24th stuff??!!?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad I'm not the only one...I thought I was going crazy.

Thanks for posting the article Ms.Rid.

visit www.victorianfarms.com

That was perfect. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Though I must say that I am also sniffling.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Was there also a picture in COTH?

Aleesha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>posted by daytimedrama:
    That was a really nice write up to whom ever did.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the credit goes to Erin. Thanks, Erin.

Beautiful

Wow, I am speechless... very moving