The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Next door neighbor has a fear biter WWYD?

Basically we've told them, she's bitten us in front of them - never breaking the skin of course but I have a huge bruise on my calf, so bad that a coworker commented on it today, and my usual course of action has been not to visit with them much (which is too bad, they are nice people), go straight to the front door or call first, she's chained or behind an invisible fence in the back.
    BUT, they have a one year old daughter and soon enough that daughter will have play dates and be romping around in the back, the dog's territory.

Do I bring this up in a serious way or MMOB? If I do bring it up, what the heck do I say?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Oh, I think I'd just let it be.

My dad has a dog who bites people. In fact, my dad has always had a dog that bites people - over the years, some have been more vigorous biters than others, but all have bitten at least one or two people.

The one he has now is a Lhasa Apso who's bitten every single grandchild at least once. Daddy cannot fathom why his children don't like the dog - except for me, I think he's a cute little rascal, but then I'm childless.

None of Daddy's children or grandchildren have been traumatized in the least. In fact, we've all developed damn fine reflexes.

I don't understand why this dog is coming on to your property? Do they just let it roam?
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Quote Originally Posted by To the MAX View Post
    I don't understand why this dog is coming on to your property? Do they just let it roam?
    Invisible fence. Yes, it roams. It only growls and backs off fast when we catch it on our place, also kills our chickens but we've never been able to catch it and SSS.

I think I'll just MMOB. And wear tall boots if they motion me to cross over the field into their yard and talk. If the dog bites their kid, or their kid's friends, not my problem.
    Incredible Invisible

Also, it may not be a fear biter. My dog bites, he's territorial and would bite someone if they came to our door. However, he's totally and completely trustworthy with my kids, and totally trustworthy not on his territory. I take him to soccer games and people on the sidelines do not believe me when I tell them he's been known to bite.

Not that it really changes anything, but the fact that the dog bit you does not mean that the dog will automatically bite the child.

This one barks, quiets down, and then goes around silently behind you while you are standing talking to the owner and *bump* and she runs off.
    I'm not sure what to call that. Maybe I should call it time to put up the fence, even if it's just EB.
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Oh, I think I'd just let it be.

My dad has a dog who bites people. In fact, my dad has always had a dog that bites people - over the years, some have been more vigorous biters than others, but all have bitten at least one or two people.

The one he has now is a Lhasa Apso who's bitten every single grandchild at least once. Daddy cannot fathom why his children don't like the dog - except for me, I think he's a cute little rascal, but then I'm childless.

None of Daddy's children or grandchildren have been traumatized in the least. In fact, we've all developed damn fine reflexes.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Good fences make good neighbors
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I'm really surprised at folks' reaction to this. I'd tell the neighbors that they need to make D&%N sure the dog never, ever comes into my yard again if it has already killed chickens. And I'd follow up with animal control or the cops if it ever came over again.

And I would not go on their property. They know their dog does this, they have a child, and they aren't doing anything about it?!?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Maybe I should call it time to put up the fence
    yeah, that's what I'd call it. I can't believe your calm response- if my neighbor's dog was eating my chickens and biting me in my own yard I'd be on the warpath.
    Also I wouldn't call that fear-biting: the dog is actually attacking you. From behind, yes, but it's an aggressive behavior- I'd say this is a potentially very dangerous dog, you're just lucky it's also not a bold dog. A fear-biter would bite if you cornered it or suddenly lunged at it, not sneak up on you and bite.
    I'd worry more about a fear-biter biting the child; this dog will probably just bite strangers and neighbors.

That dog wouldn't be on my property, ever! If the dog is on your property and bites someone on your property, then guess who is going to be named in the lawsuit? And your insurance company isn't going to like this entire scenario either.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

The dog might be good with the baby. Our dog is so wicked gentle with our DD, but she'll roughhouse with my husband and nip at adult hands if you stop petting her.

This dog sounds like it needs some serious intervention though if he's 'sharking' people that are in 'his' yard. I would make it known to the owners that he bit you hard enough to leave a huge bruise, and make them aware that there is something going on with him. Possibly write it in a letter so it's been documented that you said something to them, that way if the police or animal control get involved it's on the record that you've said something about it.

I would go boogers if he ever came on my property, and have a serious confrontation with the owners.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    That dog wouldn't be on my property, ever! If the dog is on your property and bites someone on your property, then guess who is going to be named in the lawsuit? And your insurance company isn't going to like this entire scenario either.
    I agree. You can only be "nice" for only so long.

Our closest neighbors have (or maybe by this time, "had") a little Pit-Bull cross. As with all their other dogs, they allowed it to roam, & it was constantly showing up on my doorstep. In the past, I never minded their last dog coming over, because it was a big sweet Collie-cross thing that got along swell with my dogs & actually considered our home "home" more than it did its owner.

But this dog from hell? Would show up, stand on our front lawn & bark & bark & bark ad infinitum. Also attacked my dogs when I was walking them on my property on LEASH. Then it progressed to the dog sneaking quietly up behind me when I was working outdoors & biting me. Twice. Three times I called the neighbors & politely explained that while we loved dogs - & I pointed out how nice we'd been to the first one, who had since passed on - that a dog that was coming onto our property, fought with our leashed dogs on our property, & had bitten me twice wasn't acceptable. The FOURTH phone call had me tersely telling them that my next call would be to Animal Control. Haven't seen the dog since. Sometimes you just can't be Mr. Nice Guy.

Still on friendly terms with the neighbor - we just don't discuss dogs - lol!

I don't understand why you are calling the dog a fear biter as it doesn't sound remotely like that from your description. I would get animal control and the police involved if it were me. One of my neighbor's sons was in his front yard with his back to our other neighbor's house when the other neighbor's dog ran into his yard and bit the kid in the back. He would have died that day if that had been my kid or my dog.

You really should call animal control and report the bite and then let them handle it as they see fit.

With any bite, I'd be at the hospital, then send them the bill. If they didn't pay the bill, I'd be in court.

if you go to the hospital, they will report it to AC

I didn't understand from your original post that this dog was coming over to your place and killing your chickens. I thought it was just biting when you went to their house to visit.

I think that kind of biting is kind of passive-aggressive sneaky biting.

Anyway, their-dog-their-business is only true if it's in their yard. I carry over a bill for the chickens!

My neighbor had a dog that would "ambush" me and my aged dog from behind (on my property) so I raised hell and made him put up a fence. Yes, his dog was a territorial shepherd and my recently purchased property had been vacant for some time so the dog perhaps in his mind had acquired rights, but I don't stand for that, especially attacking my pooch.

With any bite I would go to the doctor or ER ASAP, and they'll report it. I wouldn't take anyone's word that the dog was properly vaccinated, and especially someone who ignores the dog's continued biting.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I don't understand why you are calling the dog a fear biter as it doesn't sound remotely like that from your description. I would get animal control and the police involved if it were me. One of my neighbor's sons was in his front yard with his back to our other neighbor's house when the other neighbor's dog ran into his yard and bit the kid in the back. He would have died that day if that had been my kid or my dog.
    Exactly. File a report and call animal control.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.