The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone try Kerrits Ice Fil shirts yet?

I came across Kerrits Ice Fil shirt and wondered if anyone has tried it and if it kept you cooler?

They say with "the skin-cooling Ice Fil technology. Moisture-wicking and quick-drying it maximizes the cooling effect as it covers with the addition of UPF 40+ sun protection for an ever-fresh feeling all day long."

Do you think it's something you could wear under your hunt coat?

I overheat easily and always looking for clothes to help keep me cooler.

I was wondering how cool these shirts are too -- I hope someone with experience with them chimes in here!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I can't vouch for the kerrits but I have had good luck with this $60 version. They are a very close match to the $100 version that is/was the rage. Protects form the sun and keeps you nice and cool.

http://www.theperformancecollection....page.tpl&pop=0

The company is the "western sister" of the firm that makes the wellington show jackets and they have plain versions in subtle and bright colors and super blingy versions if you are so inclined

Quote Originally Posted by Ridinwyoming View Post
    I came across Kerrits Ice Fil shirt and wondered if anyone has tried it and if it kept you cooler?
    Thanks!
    going to pick one up tomorrow - tho color at the local shop is limited to the grey so not sure it will come home to stay ...

I have the French Blue w/ pocket and have ridden in it twice. I don't specifically recall being cooler, but I remember not being hot!! I ride almost exclusively in Kerrits ventilators for spring/summer so used to technical fabrics. I'm also in the PNW so my hot is not your hot, but I do get hot easily.

Can't speak about under coats, as I don't show in coats yet

I'll ride again tonight in it and report back. Temp is about 76 which is tshirt/shorts weather for us, so should be a nice hot ride for me.

I have the Kerrits Ventilators, which I love... and the new Ice Fil, which I LOVE. Silky soft and it *does* work as it says... somehow the crazy thing really reduces heat build up. I wear mine to Zumba and have compared it to a few different fabrics in that venue (hot, hot, hot... as much from my spastic attempts to keep up with the class as from the faltering AC at my gym, LOL) and I stay *much* cooler in the Ice Fil.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Ok, so I rode in the Ice Fil tonight. While grooming, I noticed I was getting hot and sweaty in my Kerrits wide cord tights, but my upper body, which was doing all the currying work, was dry and cool and comfortable. Huh.

My ride went well too, under full sun, 80 degrees. Again, after riding, my pants were sweatier then my top. And usually they are pretty equal.

MHJ is right, it is silky smooth. I don't know if wearing a coat on top would affect the way it works, maybe a call to Kerrits is in order.

Thanks for the report

I'm hoping they'll bring out a tights version as well

What is the brand of the $100 is/was the rage?

EIS
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/