The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Default Great updates!

Thanks for the updates BC and SEPowell. I suspect that the next couple of months are going to be VERY busy indeed! There is no better sight than a trailer full of Finests pulling on to Route 96, heading home!

I hope that none of them will go with anyone who has nefarious motives. Sadly it has happened in the past so it is right to be wary.

I'm delighted that Tinian has found a home. He wasn't all that keen on being jobless! And I hope that whomever has Fighting Back (Princess) will keep us updated.

Good news on the mares. Risky Gamble in particular was eating at me. If I win the lottery I will take the OTTBs with "issues" and give them the rehab they need before sending them out in the world. Sigh.

As always, many thanks to all the volunteers who make all of this possible.

Good morning GoForAGallop. Let me second your opinion of Cathy! I was the photographer for this visit to the track, and it was tough to get good pictures of her because all she wanted to do was snuggle with her groom! I have a bunch of photos of her with her head pressed to his chest. She was sweet and sensible on a weather day that was windy and cold, and had many of the horses very "up".

If anyone is interested in a particular FLFinest, you can contact me and I will see if I have more photos of your particular favorite. It is very hard to choose which photos to post, as I know sometimes a horse's life depends on the photos I select! Typically I take about 20 photos of each horse (thank goodness for the digital SLR camera) and often catch them being silly and loving.....but I post the best conformation photos instead.

This may sound silly, but I have at least 4-5 years worth of FLF photos stored on my computer. I can't bring myself to delete them, even after I know a particular horse has found a home, because looking at the photos from all my years on the track inspires me to continue with this very important work. Often, it is the photos of the horses we couldn't help that convince me to continue!
    Proud FLF Thoroughbreds Volunteer Since 2006
    Please visit our website www.fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

Default Full write ups are posted!

As long as we are talking broodmare prospects - my fantasy barn would include Midas Touch fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/mizzs-midas-touch/

She has lines for jumping, dressage, and a fine mind and work your heart out attitude. Not to mention she looks like she could be fun herself in a year or so. I'd probably go with RSF Shakespeare as a boyfriend to throw in some of my favorite warmblood traits too. Oh lottery, you are a fickle creature.

Really though, this last batch just about covers all of my likes.

The pictures are a lot of fun. I could not resist the one of Ziggy mugging for the camera for his featured photo. I spend too much time looking at the pictures myself.
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    My mare Susie Q (Cantstoplovingsue) is an Artax mare.

I knew Artax made a good steeplechase sire and it's really nice to read that the horses he sired are also making nonracing sport horses.
    I can see that she's got some of his bling! My little mare has a carbon copy of his blaze, and the four white feet, although she has socks while he almost has stockings.

I know a few other COTHers with Artax kids who RAVE about their minds and attitude as well. I bought mine as an event prospect and I think she's going to be great. Took to water obstacles like a fish! Game and willing to try anything I ask, solo or following a buddy, doesn't matter.

It's a shame he passed so young.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    Good morning GoForAGallop. Let me second your opinion of Cathy! I was the photographer for this visit to the track, and it was tough to get good pictures of her because all she wanted to do was snuggle with her groom! I have a bunch of photos of her with her head pressed to his chest. She was sweet and sensible on a weather day that was windy and cold, and had many of the horses very "up".
    I am just in love with her. By any chance, do you have any photos of "R Lady in Blue"? She came off the track last fall, little bay mare with roaning, huge blaze, and four white socks. Oh, and a bit of a silver skunk tail, too!

I should NOT be posting this, but...if anyone hears of a trailer coming towards Mass, please let me know. Miss Cathy's ankles don't bother me one bit, and I happen to have an empty stall and extra hay. (Which should be for another boarder, but if a cute TB mare shows up instead, that's okay!)

Default New Home Good News Keeps Rolling In!

Just got a message from a very excited person that the gorgeous Mike's Instinct is hers, and will be shipping to his new home tomorrow. Wow -- not surprised this handsome black hunk of horse lasted barely a week on the Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds listings! I have been fielding so many inquiries about him in the past few days, and knew there was a line of shoppers checking him out over the weekend. Well, his lucky new person just helped a couple of others narrow down their decision lists.
    A huge thanks to one of our new volunteers, who helped me with taking his listing last week, and who really networked and bumped him up and FB shared him to her horsey friends. An expert enabler in the true FL Finest tradition!

And the new hot horse that we saw on Saturday and who went up on our website yesterday seems to be Offshore Score. I've already had three messages inquiring about him, and both shopper groups on Saturday got to see him in the beautiful flesh and are thinking seriously. And he is hardly the only one who has already generated some inquiries of interest. So don't wait to give a call about him or any other horse you like!
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

GoForAGallop, unfortunately I was not the photographer for R Lady In Blue...figures, huh! I could send you a few more pics of Cathy if you want to PM me your email address. She really needs to find a home soon......and would love to be an East Coast girl!

Default Offshore Score

I see that Offshore Score is entered in the 4th race tomorrow (10/9). Wonder if there will be a scratch because he's moved on?

Ziggy is adorable and looks to be so....so.....substantial!

Default Videos

Hi Everyone,

I had the pleasure of riding two Finger Lakes horses this weekend. Some of you might remember Personal Spender. He's been in the listings before and no one scooped him up so his trainer continued to race him. His listing from last year is on the proboards site under 2011 horses placed or sold but he should be relisted for 2012 shortly. He's a good guy who is super athletic and has the greatest work ethic.

The other horse is my favorite and he 's new to the listings this year. In fact he's so new, his listing isn't even up yet! His name is Dancing Robbins and he's one of the kindest, most loveable horses I know. He's all business on the track but a big wussy in the barn

I didn't edit out the bad parts so you can see they aren't perfect, but I think they accurately represent what these horses are like without any retraining. Both of these horses raced two weeks ago and are very fit.

These horses are at their trainer's farm right now but will be heading back to the track soon. They will most likely keep racing but this is their last year at the track. I will update this post or post a link once the official listings are up but if anyone is interested you can let me know as well.

Thanks for looking!

Personal Spender
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Czs...7cWtEdPQ_6owKQ

Dancing Robbins
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFrZA...=ULGFrZAoCCAFo

Default Dancing Robbins!

I didn't ride him but I did work with him everyday about 4 years ago. I found him to be not just a handsome boy but a good egg all around. I've kept track of his career ever since. Can't wait to see his pics!

When does the meet end?

The meet generally ends around the last week of November, early part of December. Horses are allowed on the grounds for another two weeks and then they're outta' there.

Offshore Score went off at odds of 102/1 and finished dead last. Chart said he was never involved. Please, all of you who have expressed interest, please act quickly because this horse is taking up valuable stall space and I can all but guarantee that they won't try him again.

Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    I didn't ride him but I did work with him everyday about 4 years ago. I found him to be not just a handsome boy but a good egg all around. I've kept track of his career ever since. Can't wait to see his pics!
    Hi Foundationmare,
    Here are some pictures of Dancing Robbins http://s433.photobucket.com/albums/q...ing%20Robbins/
    Anyone can see he has a beautiful head, kind eye and pleasant expression. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these plain bay boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    When does the meet end?
    The last scheduled race day for 2012 is Friday Dec. 7th. The barn area usually remains open for a week to 10 days after the last race day.

With about 2 months left to go, new listings are coming thick and fast now, with trainers telling us they are listing a horse they intend to run a couple of more times, but cannot overwinter. We have urged trainers not to wait until late November or early December to list, since that gives a horse almost no time to find a home.
    Find us on Facebook:

Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    What a bunch of stunners! Can we all agree that the Finests continue to get more and more appealing?? Great job Buffalo Colleen, Rhymes w/Orange, Lisa and Red!

Mama Gina is indeed a lovely filly and, wowza, legs that go on forever!

Allow me, please, to relay a story about her Trainer, Bob Ubbink.

Several years ago I was showing a buyer around the racetrack backside. She had arrived with her truck and trailer and was ready to take a lucky horse or two home with her to Saratoga.

She selected a beautiful bay gelding who just happened to be in my care at the time (and he has since become a superstar!) and a tiny, forlorn 2 y.o. roan filly. Poor dear was not in a warm, fuzzy shedrow and looked and acted the part. Wary of people, she was about as sad a horse I've ever seen. The buyer saw a cute little filly who needed an angel to step up for her.

She had two angels that day.

We settled arrangements for both horses and started to load them. Of course it was the end of the meet, so brisk and windy, which just adds to the fun! Gelding loads fine and little filly just said NO! She absolutely would not load. The last thing I wanted to happen was watch this little girl get manhandled onto that trailer. We tried every trick we had in our arsenal and she just. would. not. load.

Buyer was getting antsy and we were all frustrated. She quietly said to me "This just isn't going to work. I'll have to leave her". Welllll, I knew that filly HAD to get on that trailer or there wouldn't be much hope for her. So I feigned deafness!

Right when things were about as far south as they could be, Bob Ubbink drove up, parked his truck and asked if we could use a hand. I could have kissed him! Bob is a gentle soul and a true horseman. He might have whispered in her ear or something, IDK, but he sweetly coaxed her onto that trailer and home she went to Saratoga, her new gelding buddy nestled in next to her. I will never forget what he did that day but it was all in a day's work for him.

Anyone who gets horses from him and his wife, Franny, can be assured that they have been well handled and well loved!
    Ahh yes, I love reading the updates from CGH on her two Finests, Chequer and Grace! And I second Foundationmare on her words about the Ubbinks. We bought Jet from them and let me tell you, that horse knows how to behave! It's easy to see that he's had a great upbringing and was handled with a kind hand. Bob was upfront and helpful with our purchase of Jet, and its obvious the Ubbinks love their horses.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Please, someone save me from taking home Missed The Note from Finger Lakes! I photographed this pretty, tall, well built filly a couple of weeks ago and can't seem to stop thinking about her! She is bargain priced as her trainers will not overwinter an unsuccessful racehorse. This pretty filly really needs to find a home soon as she finished dead last this week at the track and that will seal the deal for her. Also, we have photographed another 15-20 really nice horses since her and I am afraid she might fall through the cracks with all those nice big geldings to compete with. She was even nicer in person than her pictures show!!

For a quick peek at her, head over to our Facebook page, Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds, Inc, and check out her album. While you are there please "like" our page, we would love to reach 300 likes by this weekend. Her complete listing can be seen at www.fingerlakesfinesttbs.com If you have any questions about her I will do my best to answer them from my impressions of her from her photo session!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    Please, someone save me from taking home Missed The Note from Finger Lakes! I photographed this pretty, tall, well built filly a couple of weeks ago and can't seem to stop thinking about her! She is bargain priced as her trainers will not overwinter an unsuccessful racehorse. This pretty filly really needs to find a home soon as she finished dead last this week at the track and that will seal the deal for her. Also, we have photographed another 15-20 really nice horses since her and I am afraid she might fall through the cracks with all those nice big geldings to compete with. She was even nicer in person than her pictures show!!

For a quick peek at her, head over to our Facebook page, Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds, Inc, and check out her album. While you are there please "like" our page, we would love to reach 300 likes by this weekend. Her complete listing can be seen at www.fingerlakesfinesttbs.com If you have any questions about her I will do my best to answer them from my impressions of her from her photo session!
    So sorry, I can't help you this time. Susie Q filled my last stall the last time your heart strings were tugged. Put your heads together and maybe you'll come up with a good plan for her. Fingers are crossed for Missed the Note.

I wanted to add that I just watched her video and although her photos make her look somewhat downhill she is not at all downhill. You can see that she's well balanced and uphillish in the video.
    Last edited by SEPowell; Oct. 11, 2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Adding info.

Offshore Score is on his way to his new home!... His new name is Dylan...after Bob Dylan!
    Nothing better than an OTTB.... Just Plan Partners,Penny, you have stolen my heart<3

http://secondchancethoroughbreds.org

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingAddict93 View Post
    Offshore Score is on his way to his new home!... His new name is Dylan...after Bob Dylan!
    Congratulations on winning the race for Score -- oops I mean for Dylan!!! The person who was planning on coming tomorrow will be disappointed but understanding, and hopefully will pick another.
    The shopper I took around this morning also really liked Dylan but another is at the top of her list, so keeping fingers crossed for more good news soon.
    And speaking of good new home news, the wonderful, soulful war horse Wonforthegoodguys is coming home with one of our Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds volunteers -- and he will make my own boarding barn his transitional home while stalls at his new forever home are being built, so I will get to see him a lot!
    And we saw some more super high quality horses this morning to add to the listings so check the website soon!
    Find us on Facebook:

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I can see that she's got some of his bling! My little mare has a carbon copy of his blaze, and the four white feet, although she has socks while he almost has stockings.

I know a few other COTHers with Artax kids who RAVE about their minds and attitude as well. I bought mine as an event prospect and I think she's going to be great. Took to water obstacles like a fish! Game and willing to try anything I ask, solo or following a buddy, doesn't matter.

It's a shame he passed so young.

I am just in love with her. By any chance, do you have any photos of "R Lady in Blue"? She came off the track last fall, little bay mare with roaning, huge blaze, and four white socks. Oh, and a bit of a silver skunk tail, too!
    You can copy R Lady in Blue's pictures from my website. Go here: http://http://fingerlakestracklist.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sold2011&action=display&thread=351 and then right click on each picture and save them in your picture program. Let me know if it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    You can copy R Lady in Blue's pictures from my website. Go here: http://http://fingerlakestracklist.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sold2011&action=display&thread=351 and then right click on each picture and save them in your picture program. Let me know if it works for you.
    No need to do that! I was the photographer for R Lady in Blue last fall, and I already sent all the pictures, not just the ones that Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds used on its pro-boards forum last fall. Go for a Gallop sent me in return some lovely photos of this beautiful mare, now known as Daisy, happy and healthy in her pretty Massachusetts home. Perhaps, Go for, you will share those photos on the Finger Lakes Finest Roll Call thread here on COTH, as well as on the Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds Facebook page.
    Between me and Lucky 13, we have taken hundreds of pictures of over a hundred horses over the past couple of years, and if you have a Finest, and we were the photographers, we will be happy to e-mail you photos directly.
    Find us on Facebook: