The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do I change?

So I am at a loss on what to do. I recently moved my horse to a new farm and while shes the same on the ground shes changed under saddle. Whenever I ride her all she wants to do is GO! This is unlike her, shes not a lazy horse and never has been but shes never seemed this hot headed before either. When riding she constantly works the bit, wants to throw her head in the air, and while she will listen I can just feel her energy balling up in her and she constantly asks to go to the faster pace. I have her in a mullen mouth happy bit that shes been in for almost a year now and its worked well for her. She flatted and jumped just fine in it until now. A little bit about her, shes 16 years old, just had her teeth floated at the end of july, and her work load has not changed. The new place shes at now does feed her everyday (was not happening at the old barn) but she only get MSM, horseshoers secert, and a handful of safechoice. Shes turned out all day which is not a change and I ride her 1-3 times a week which is not a change. So my question is, do I need to just ride her more, change her bridle (figure8, flash) or her bit? If I should change her bit then to what?

I'd have her looked at with a full exam by a vet. She may have soreness somewhere. She is 16 and probably has changes in her hocks and other places that are bothering her. It's easier for a horse to go to a faster gait than work correctly at a slower gait, or so they think that lol. Example if your asking for her to engage in the trot and balance if it's hard for her for some reason be it pain or whatever they will a lot of times try to break to a faster gait or you can get the reverse and not want to go forward at all. She may have even strained something in the trailer to the new place and just needs a little rest time.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I would take lessons from someone who can teach you how to install (or reinstall, as the case may be) pace control.

Even very hot horses or tense will go quietly if the rider establishes control over the pace, and then dictates a slow, relaxed one.

Try treating for ulcers.

My horse did the same thing when I moved barns-- a change in routine, different turnout (even 24/7), new feed, new hay, and new place tends to stress them. I gave my horse U7, and later abprazole (blue pop rocks) and he went right back to his calm, happy self.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

You mentioned something about a change in feed. Is she getting more grain than she did at the other barn? Is the feed the same, or has that changed?
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Thanks for all the feed back!

The only change in her feed is that she now being fed daily, this was not happening at my old barn which is the reason for moving her.

Have you only ever known this horse on the lower amount of feed? It's possible your horse is a little "hotter" at baseline than you may realize (and understandably so!).

My horses were in a situation they were not being fed enough. I moved them. Within 2 weeks of moving and getting normal amounts of hay, grain and grass, they perked right back up and were their normal obnoxious selves. Their weight loss and energy loss was so gradual to me I didn't even realize they were sluggish until they moved and perked back up!

A change in diet and behavior usually means one of two things -

Feeling a little too 'good' from extra grain/calories OR feeling bad (ulcers).

The change in environment could be quite stimulating too.

Even just a change in the pasture can cause a ripple effect, new perhaps better pasture, more feed, new exciting environment.

I'd fiddle with the feed, maybe cut back on any energy food, if that would cause her to lose weight then ad lib hay.

When dealing with horses I use the KISS system. Keep it simple stupid. Look for the most likely cause (more feed) and go from there.