When is it safe to move a mare in foal?? I'm talking approx 10 -12 hr trailer ride. I'm looking to breed this season, thought I was getting a really nice quality mare, but it's looking like it fell thru, as I'm not getting any response from the owner now.
I've been looking at a mare posted in this forum, but she's about 10 hrs from me. Debating whether to have her bred where she is and truck her later, or going to get her and have her bred when she gets here. The added (approx) $600-$800 in gas costs to truck her here first will delay the breeding plan by a month, so.....
and if any one has a nice big mare that will throw me a nice "win the hunter hack" foal, feel free to contact me. but I'd prefer it if said mare lived within 8 - 10 hrs of CT thanks!!
Is this a mare that is in foal as in imminently going to have a foal? Or a mare that you want to breed?
If the latter, I would say the answer depends entirely on where she can be bred most efficiently for the least expense.
($6-800 is a drop in the breeding expenses bucket, an amount that you might find yourself needing to spend at any moment...just saying...)
it's the latter, I am trying to figure if it's smarter/more economical to have her bred before moving her, because I am assuming she would have to stay put for a month or two if I have her bred where she is~~~~ or trucking her here to my place then breeding her.
I have an emergency nest egg... VERY aware of the ups and downs in the checkbook in relation to breeding, LOL
stallion is in OK, mares I'm eyeing are in OH and VA......
Call the vet clinics in those areas and compare the rates to your vet. Then keep in mind that, if you bring her to your place and she doesn't get pregnant, you will then have spent shipping (2 ways, once you send her back) for NOTHING!
If you have her bred at her current location, it is a good idea to leave her there until an ultrasound around 40 days gestation.
Some studs only have the mare on the property for a day only so it is truck in truck out same day. I think the TB foster mother is an example of that. Me I would give the potential foal a few weeks to settle in before I moved the mare.