The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Looks lik an add to me

Default what size needle?

I'm a little late to this party. Thanks to everyone for sharing all the info & anecdotes.

Now for a dumb question - what gauge needle do you use for Pentosan? Adequan is thick and I have to use an 18 gauge, but my little guy acts like I'm killing him. Since I always do this solo, I'd love to get less of a reaction. Is it possible to use a thinner needle with Pentosan or is it just as thick?

(As an aside, my BF was giving the doggie Adequan to his ancient Great Dane before he passed, and he could use a teeny tiny dog needle. How is this possible? Is dog Adequan watered down or something??)
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    I'm a little late to this party. Thanks to everyone for sharing all the info & anecdotes.

Now for a dumb question - what gauge needle do you use for Pentosan? Adequan is thick and I have to use an 18 gauge, but my little guy acts like I'm killing him. Since I always do this solo, I'd love to get less of a reaction. Is it possible to use a thinner needle with Pentosan or is it just as thick?

(As an aside, my BF was giving the doggie Adequan to his ancient Great Dane before he passed, and he could use a teeny tiny dog needle. How is this possible? Is dog Adequan watered down or something??)
    I use a 22
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I use a 22
    OK thanks.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I might be a little late to the party, but I am seriously considering giving my 10 year old Pentosan. He's in light to moderate work as an eventer, and is on a regular Adequan regime and gets Cosequin in his Smartpak. A few days ago, my vet/chiropractor/acupuncturist was out and mentioned that he seemed a little stiff behind (this was after a hard flat school) and said I ought to consider injecting his hocks. He has always been a tad stiffer in the right hind warming up and it is definitely his weaker side, but he flexes clean. Would you keep him on the Adequan and Cosequin, or just try the Pentosan?

Also, I have a very arthritic 10 yr old Sheltie who is also on Adequan,, and it helps her some, but I'd love to try Pentosan on her as well.. How many of you give it to your dogs, and how often, and how much? Thx!

Sorry for any typos - I'm writing this on my tablet.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I might be a little late to the party, but I am seriously considering giving my 10 year old Pentosan. He's in light to moderate work as an eventer, and is on a regular Adequan regime and gets Cosequin in his Smartpak. A few days ago, my vet/chiropractor/acupuncturist was out and mentioned that he seemed a little stiff behind (this was after a hard flat school) and said I ought to consider injecting his hocks. He has always been a tad stiffer in the right hind warming up and it is definitely his weaker side, but he flexes clean. Would you keep him on the Adequan and Cosequin, or just try the Pentosan?

Also, I have a very arthritic 10 yr old Sheltie who is also on Adequan,, and it helps her some, but I'd love to try Pentosan on her as well.. How many of you give it to your dogs, and how often, and how much? Thx!

Sorry for any typos - I'm writing this on my tablet.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Compounded is baking a cake from scratch following a precise recipe. Generic is twinkies in a plain white box.
    Thank you for a great laugh today! I am stealing this quote for further use!

bumping this up to see if any Canadians have had any shipping success yet.
    The horseprerace website doesn't show an option for the large bottle that I can see, only the single dose vial. More importantly, where were the $15-20 doses coming from?? The horseprerace is $40/dose which becomes the same if not more expensive as Adequan
    If you think I am high maintenance, you should meet my horse!

bumping this up to ask about using pentosan along with Legend? Legend helps my maresy and I give it about every 45-60 days during show season. She doesn't have anything major going on. Some mild arthritis in her hocks and one stifle. I get them injected once a year. So does Pentosan do different things than Legend? Or would it be helpful to do both?

Ok! After a loading dose and a few months of Pentosan I got on my 'big ol' guy yesterday.... WOW! Now, I haven't ridden him in months ( probly at least 6) because his arthritis has really been bothering him and his oral supplements haven't seem to be doing anything any more. I would just feel soooo bad riding him because he was so stiff and behind my leg, he was so much work and I felt bad making him work when he was obviously uncomfortable! Wow is all I could say! It was so NICE getting on him and having him go forward and move off my leg willingly AND feel so comfortable again! I'm never going to stop using this! I'm so excited to have my horse back, it's been so long since he moved like this! Must get more.....

2 members found this post helpful.

What I'm reading from Pentosan's website is that they recommend that after the loading dose period, to give it every 6 mos or so after that or as another group of loading doses if the horse gets symptomatic again.

I see that most folks do it monthly. Is this something that was decided by those folks personally or was it recommended by your vet? I'm looking at getting my mare on it.
    A horse will save me

Most of what I've read was to give it monthly or as needed after the loading dose, but I don't know who gave that advice.

One vial would last for two loading doses (given once weekly for 4 weeks). It would make it a bit cheaper for most people. I'm giving 5cc for my 14.2 Arab, so I get 10 doses per vial.

KKindley- I am using both Pentosan and Legend. My boy has arthritis in his right front fetlock. The vet said the Legend is better for that and Pentosan works well on hind end stiffness. My guy will be 14 this yr, so I figured both would be a good idea. I could never tell the difference after the Legend shot but I have felt a difference after the third loading dose of the Pentosan. He feels much more fluid and willing to use his hiney!!

I have ordered from horseprerace when Pentosan is on special for $24.95/vial (min 10 vials) with free shipping- just keep an eye on their website. I previously used Adequan and Equithrive and have since discontinued both. Horse still gets regular chiro/bodywork but hasn't needed anything else and he is in high/moderate work.

Quote Originally Posted by Carried Away View Post
    I have ordered from horseprerace when Pentosan is on special for $24.95/vial (min 10 vials) with free shipping- just keep an eye on their website. I previously used Adequan and Equithrive and have since discontinued both. Horse still gets regular chiro/bodywork but hasn't needed anything else and he is in high/moderate work.
    That is still way more than Wedgewood.

I would be surprised if any individual vial purchase could match the per-dose cost of the big bottle? No matter where the individual vials are being purchased from?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I'm assuming you do need a prescription for Pentosan?
    I wonder if I can just call my vet and ask them to fax a prescription for Pentosan to Wedgewood...don't they take a commission on that?
    Just wondering. My old vet used to match the prices I found online, but this vet may not be so understanding...
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Just checking in on the pentosan thread - My vet won't perscribe Pentosan, but she did give me a script for PentAussie and I gave the 1st shot of the 4-shot loading dose on Monday. He has bad navicular and is rehabbing from navicular bone avulsion fractures (diagnosed 6 months ago), and has mild arthritis in his coffin joints and hocks (confirmed via xrays for the hocks and MRI for the coffin joints), as well as right stifle synovitis (for an 8 year old, he's pretty much a hot mess). Even on the days that he's not head bobbing from the navicular, however, he is very stiff and does not want to move forward freely like he used to before all the navicular stuff happened. I am hoping the PentAussie will help his stiffness and I will post an update after I finish the loading dose in a month.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Success story:

21 year old gelding, so sore behind he couldnt trot, walking was intriguing to watch (you'd have to see me mimic him to understand that), I pasture retired him but then felt it was "right". I had been trying every oral supp I knew "worked" (later realized that DUH, he has intestinal issues I was conquering, he couldn't absorb anything!) with no results. Friend suggested Adequan, but vet suggested PentAussie.

Uhm, wow. After 2 shots he would run around and jump jumps in the arena by himself. He's NUTS after his shot, he feels amazing. Now we are happily doing hunters, dressage and adding in eventing soon. Of course he will never go above 2'6" with me, and I don't ride him into the ground, and if he's too tired to ride, I give him the day off, and he gets pastured during winter. I also use BoT, Draper and Sore No More on him, going to be starting on Protandim soon. He gets it every 4-6 weeks (depending on how heavy we're training, we're at week 6 and there's a Poker Ride this weekend so we shot him up last night.)

Wedgewood requires a script, no?