The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

The following people are listed on the USAE website as being suspended from participation in all USAE sanctioned events:

Ayers, Jeffrey PA. 12/01/03 - 2/28/04
    Bond, Belynda TX. 2/01/04 - 5/31/04
    Bragg, John CA. 1/01/04 - 6/30/04
    Crandall, Robert MD. 1/01/04 - 3/30/04
    Dlin, Darren FL. 1/01/04 - 5/31/04
    Fenney, Tracy TX. 2/01/04 - 7/31/04
    Gordon, Darcy FL. 2/01/04 - 5/31/04
    Harris, Dennis OH. 1/01/04 - 3/31/04
    Johnson, Thomas AZ. 1/01/04 - 3/31/04
    Lobel, Sandra NJ. 1/01/04 - 4/30/04
    McCormick, Michael TX. 2/01/04 - 11/30/04
    Roulston, Buddy TX. 2/01/04 - 6/30/04
    Stewart, Donald FL. 11/03/03 - 3/02/04
    Yeager, Dianne CA. 2/01/04 - 7/31/04
    Young, Gary MO. 1/01/04 - 6/30/04

The people listed above are currently suspended for a period of multiple months. Many are sat down for drug rule infractions. The others have not yet had their reasons for suspensions released.

Personally, I want to be kept very informed about who among my colleagues is not in good standing with my sport's national governing body. Anyone having further substantiated information regarding people suspended from USAE events, please let us know.

The following people are listed on the USAE website as being suspended from participation in all USAE sanctioned events:

Ayers, Jeffrey PA. 12/01/03 - 2/28/04
    Bond, Belynda TX. 2/01/04 - 5/31/04
    Bragg, John CA. 1/01/04 - 6/30/04
    Crandall, Robert MD. 1/01/04 - 3/30/04
    Dlin, Darren FL. 1/01/04 - 5/31/04
    Fenney, Tracy TX. 2/01/04 - 7/31/04
    Gordon, Darcy FL. 2/01/04 - 5/31/04
    Harris, Dennis OH. 1/01/04 - 3/31/04
    Johnson, Thomas AZ. 1/01/04 - 3/31/04
    Lobel, Sandra NJ. 1/01/04 - 4/30/04
    McCormick, Michael TX. 2/01/04 - 11/30/04
    Roulston, Buddy TX. 2/01/04 - 6/30/04
    Stewart, Donald FL. 11/03/03 - 3/02/04
    Yeager, Dianne CA. 2/01/04 - 7/31/04
    Young, Gary MO. 1/01/04 - 6/30/04

The people listed above are currently suspended for a period of multiple months. Many are sat down for drug rule infractions. The others have not yet had their reasons for suspensions released.

Personally, I want to be kept very informed about who among my colleagues is not in good standing with my sport's national governing body. Anyone having further substantiated information regarding people suspended from USAE events, please let us know.

WOW!! There are a few on there that I was not expecting!! If you want to stay up to date then keep your eye on the list for the next few months. From what I hear it will grow even more with additional surprising names.

And there are some that are NOT on there that should!

*A fool and his money are soon partying!*
    Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

Watch these names in the future--some are getting additional time for more recent infractions.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Wow. Texas was busy.

`````````````````````````````````````````
    "I NOW INFORM YOU THAT YOU ARE TOO FAR FROM REALITY."
    Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Minister of Information

"Life ain't certain...ride your best horse first." Unknown

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

I am sorry, but I am not sure why this suspension thing is such a big deal to everyone.

Even though I am a small local trainer that doesnt use ANY drugs on my horses, I do show at smaller A rated horse shows.This weekend at Jacksonville one of our ponies got drug tested. The mom feeds him about 6 different things from smart pak, and a friend of mine who is a steward made the comment while we were waiting for our pony to "fill the jar", so to speak, that we should check out the smart pak products we were using, because a lot of the coat conditioners and joint supplements test positive. I almost had a heart attack, but then I thought, there but for the grace of god go I. I know most of the trainers that are listed on the above suspension list. I am VERY familiar with Don Stewart stables. His horses are impeccably turned out, and cared for. His students are happy and very well treated, and more importantly, the younger riders are polite well mannered, and sweet to other visiting riders.

I think it is vindictive and cruel for people who know NOTHING about why these people are on the suspension list to keep hammering on about it as if they are well informed. None of us know the real story behind any of those suspended. They got caught, they got punished, its none of our business, so enough with the grandstanding already.

Any of us could have this happen to us with the huge amount of items that are on the market that test positive. We asked a steward to tell us a few of the things that test positive and you wouldnt believe some of the products on the list. Suspension from the USAE could happen from feeding the wrong supplement, and in fact that has happened many times in the past.

I am pretty sure that as horsemen all of us have done things that we look back on and are not proud of. I try not to do things that are morally wrong, but I am not perfect and I dont expect other people to be either.

And, as a final footnote to this little diatribe of mine, I was at a 4-H show three weeks ago, listening to this lady who is a mother as well as a trainer in our area was telling everyone who would listen that Don Stewart was suspended. She made a huge big deal out of it for about 20 minutes until I asked her if she knew why he had been suspended. Her reply was that she didnt know, but that he deserved it if he drugged his horses. This same overweight insensitive woman yanked her kid off the horse when the horse didnt win, and called the kid stupid. She then proceeded to mount the horse, rip its head off, and beat it about 6 times with a stick. As far as I could tell the worst thing the horse was doing was standing around looking a bit dull because it was in need of a farrier, and 110 lbs in weight. I'd much rather send my horse to Don Stewart and risk that he might drug it, than send it to the fat lady who starves and beats her horses, but under USAE rules Don is guilty and the fat lady is not. Go Figure.

I guess what I am trying to say is we all sort of live in glass houses and we shouldnt throw stones.

There are a couple names that are one step ahead of the drug testers..They know who they are.....

Poindexter, may he rest in peace.
    Bobbie please rest in peace.
    www.melodicfarms.com

Mouse, that is the most level headed post I have seen in ANY of these "suspension list" witch hunt threads.

Thank you for speaking out.

Laurie
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

From the USEF Jan/Feb publication for the above listed:

Jeff Ayers - Social Secretary - Penn National (10/14/02) - reserpine

Dennis Harris - Point Taken - Sweet Charity Farm Winter Series I (1/18/03) - reserpine

Don Stewart - Monte Cristo - Wellington Natl (11/27/02) - reserpine

Just the facts.

I ride with neither the aforementioned "fat lady" nor Don Stewart.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Northern California Transplant To Middle Tennessee

Mouse...You go girl! On that thought... I do not use forbidden substances on horses at shows, I think of myself as honest and kind to my horses, and as an Official as well as a trainer, I hold myself to a higher standard or behavior than many others. But I had a "light bulb moment" last year when eight months after the show in question, a groom told me that he had observed one of MY clients buying cocaine from another groom at the show! I must say that an image of my name on the "hit list" flashed before my eyes! Now, as it was, none of our horses were tested at that show, so I guess I dodged that bullet, but I do realize now that we trainers are quite vulnerable at shows. I don't question the need for the Trainer Responsibility Rule. That is what gives teeth to the whole concept of regulating Drugs and Medications. But, having had this "There But For The Grace Of God Go I" experience, I am a bit disturbed at the "Burn The Heathens" attitude that is so prevalent on this BB. Many of the miscreants are getting what they deserve, but THERE ALSO COULD BE SOME WHO ARE THE VICTIM OF CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND THEIR CONTROL.

It is easy to say..."Sure, fine the buggers $25K." Or "Fix it so that only Vets can have needles and syringes on the showgrounds" But...do you ever consider what that would cost the exhibitors? All those folks who think that the "rich guys" wouldn't win so much if we took away their drugs, and we "poor folks" would get our chance to be winners. That is total rubbish! If shows were required to sequester the barn areas and provide round the clock security, and if only veterinarians could give a shot, the cost of showing would increase at warp speed, and there would ONLY be "rich guys" showing! It is nearly that way now...but if the safeguards of the barn areas was implemented,those who are leading the witch hunt would be completely priced out of the sport.

I am by no way advocating the illegal use of drugs and medications. But there is a little thing called "Due Process" that is an important right, and without the expensive safeguards I mentioned, one has to consider that a $50K fine and a 2 year suspension could destroy an innocent person who was the victim of circumstances.

I don't know that she meant it in a judmental way regarding overweight people, but she hit on one of my biggest pet peeves. Obese people who own or ride underweight horses. I've seen two around here... seriously obese, both with many downright skinny horses. I'm talking dips between the ribs and hip bones poking out. If they can afford to feed themselves enough to become medically obese then for the love of all things holy, I wish they would feed all their horses.

www.coolmeadows.net
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Where you never know what the weather will be--Kansas!!!

Wow......I've seen Tracey ride and always admired her, hopefully since i'm in this part of the country I'll hear the story of WHY. I hate to judge until I know why. Please PT me if you know!

"My insurance doesn't cover PMS." --10 things I hate about you
    \"My insurance doesn\'t cover PMS.\" --10 things I hate about you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nitro's Mommy:
    Wow......I've seen Tracey ride and always admired her, hopefully since i'm in this part of the country I'll hear the story of WHY. I hate to judge until I know why. Please PT me if you know!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto... Tracy Feeney... I've always really looked up to her... if anyone knows why she was supended please PT me... I'm still in shock lol...

------
    Melodramatic "Melody" in the larges

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolMeadows:
    I don't know that she meant it in a judmental way regarding overweight people, but she hit on one of my biggest pet peeves. Obese people who own or ride underweight horses. I've seen two around here... seriously obese, both with many downright skinny horses. I'm talking dips between the ribs and hip bones poking out. If they can afford to feed themselves enough to become medically obese then for the love of all things holy, I wish they would feed all their horses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it is ok for thin people to starve horses but if you are fat, you can't?

Your argument should be with people who mistreat their horses, not with people who are fat.

I am fat, but I don't dope or mistreat my horses.
    Enron, El Ron, El Lay.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoconutGrrl:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolMeadows:
    I don't know that she meant it in a judmental way regarding overweight people, but she hit on one of my biggest pet peeves. Obese people who own or ride underweight horses. I've seen two around here... seriously obese, both with many downright skinny horses. I'm talking dips between the ribs and hip bones poking out. If they can afford to feed themselves enough to become medically obese then for the love of all things holy, I wish they would feed all their horses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it is ok for thin people to starve horses but if you are fat, you can't?

Your argument should be with people who mistreat their horses, not with people who are fat.

I am fat, but I don't dope or mistreat my horses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hell no it's not ok for anyone to starve, drug or in any way mistreat their horses in my book. But it irritates me to no end to see morbidly obese people stuffing their faces at the horse show while their horses are tied to their stock trailer in the blazing sun without hay and looking like a skeletal anatomy lesson. And there are only two people in my area who bring disgustingly skinny horses to local shows, and they're both closing in on 300lbs, if they haven't gotten there yet. I wouldn't care less if they were on healthy good sized horses and not 15.2 racks of bones. I'd be just as pissed if I saw Paris Hilton with a skeleton of a horse too.

www.coolmeadows.net
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Listen closely to what you are saying, however.

Morbid obesity has NOTHING AT ALL to do with horse abuse.

You may think yourself smart for appreciating the "irony" of it all. However, in using an UNRELATED and UNNECESSARY descriptor of these people you loathe, you are also indicating your prejudice against and negative feelings about obese people.

It is no different than someone coming up to you and telling you about "the black man who robbed the neighborhood store". Describing the robber as black is no more necessary than describing those horse abusers as fat. It merely perpetuates STEREOTYPES and HATE. Neither of which, frankly, help horses or anyone else.
    Enron, El Ron, El Lay.

OK, I don't loathe overweight people. I'm hardly svelte myself in the dead of winter, and looking at every single person in my family, I know exactly what my genetic weight destiny is. When morbid obesity goes together with puny, skeletal horses that are all sway backed and sore and starved, it does have to do with horse abuse. The owner should cut back his/her over indulgence and take some of the money they should save and put it into caring for their horses.

I do hate when people put their own desires and comforts ahead of their horses' health. If someone is getting enough to eat as to be as incredibly overweight, then they should be able to afford to feed their horses. Same goes for the boarder who goes out clubbing every single night and then whines about not having board money or money to buy the poor horse a blanket when it's freezing outside. Pisses me off to no end. Horses are a very big responsibility and sometimes owners have to make sacrifices to have them. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this board who've lived on Raemen noodles and rice in college or rough times to make sure there was enough to provide for their horse. If a serious over-eater doesn't want to make the sacrifice of cutting down their intake and giving their horse some food, then I wish they'd sell the poor thing. If the non-stop partier won't quit and ends up with a homeless horse, I wish they'd sell it too. If people have enough money or time to over eat or party every night and still take great care of their horse, I'm happy.

www.coolmeadows.net

Probably going to get blasted for this....

I believe if we are capable of finding this website, we are all capable of finding the AHSA (or whatever its called now) website, where it is very easy to find the suspension list. AND if we are AHSA (or whatever) members WE ALL recieve the magazine and we can all read who has been suspended and for what. There is absolutely NO NEED for posting these peoples names, horses, and what they were suspended for OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Maybe at first people did not know where to find the stuff...but at this point it has been on these boards for an extended period of time, numerous times. I realize what they did was wrong, yadda yadda yadda, but come on people GET OVER IT and MOVE ON.

Excuse me, but I dont need anyone to interpret what I said for me. The mention of the ladys weight was only because the horse was about 14 hands tall, and severly underweight. I only mentioned it because it was part of the cruelty aspect of the original statement. I am no lightweight myself and most of my family are 300 pounders. None of us that I know of jump on the back of 14 hand, underweight ponies with bad feet and yank its head off.

And to set the record straight, I have purchased a horse that was drugged when I bought it. I asked the trainer to take it back and when she wouldnt, I sued her and lost. I lost because there is such a thing as vetting a horse. Which I did, and told the vet that blood tests were unneccessary. That makes me the person who didnt CHECK to see if the horse was drugged first. Trust me though, I let everyone know what had happened to me and who did it and she is no longer training horses, she now works in a tack shop.

I also find it interesting that reserpine was the drug that most of these horses were caught on. I have had my own vet prescribe this drug on two separate occasions to two horses here at the farm for medical reasons. My vet also gave it a third time to a really fractious 3 year old that we were breaking, that we thought might hurt itself if we didnt try something really radical. The two horses with medical conditions cleared right up and the third horse was a happy boy around the barn, long enough for us to break him. He never went back to being spooky or stupid, once he learned we werent going to hurt him and we never had to give him another shot. My vet told me that she likes to try reserpine when all else has failed on horses that are terrified of everything around them, as it calms them and lets them learn to enjoy being handled in the right environment. I havent ever shown any of these horses, but I do remember my vet telling me that every horse is different, in the way the drug works, and that she has heard other vets tell her that it can test up to 90 days after it is administered. I can see where this might catch some people off guard, especially since the USAE rule I think says 30 days.