The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Travelling to Virginia & Maryland - Must see's? Another few questions P.2

I know a lot of the people on COTH are from the East coast of the US, so I'd love it if somebody could give me some tips & things that I should try to see. I'll be flying in to Baltimore and spending two or three days in the Middleburg area and then working my way up to the town of NorthEast Maryland for another 2-3 days and then spending the weekend there.

Anything that I should make sure I try to see?

Anything to stay away from?
    Last edited by Brigit; Mar. 21, 2012 at 05:35 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

Well it depends. Are you looking to ride while there, or just sight see?

Horsey: Depending on when you expect to be here, there are some great point to points in MD in the spring, but I'm not sure of the exact schedule.

Touristy: Try to spend a day in Annapolis. And you'll be very fortunate to be in NorthEast. Its one of the nicest areas in MD.

Look at www.equiery.com. They usually have a list of upcoming events.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I've already got a few riding things planned so I'm thinking more tourist type places. I love history and visiting old houses, museums and of course, anything horse related too (tack shops, events going on etc).

Thanks!
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

There's a Dover store in Chantilly!!!

Arlington is just breathtaking, and must if you have the time. Fredericksburg is another great town, but I think it's farther South than you'll want to go. You can park and walk around downtown. If you go there, stop at Capital Ale House!! Their food is AMAZING.

Plan your schedule around the DC traffic patterns - the traffic is TERRIBLE and it can easily take you hours to get somewhere if you are in or around the beltway, route 66, route 50 or other routes between northern Virginia and Baltimore. Rush hour around starts around 3:30 and goes until about 7:00. Just be warned so you won't spend your entire trip in traffic. It is easy to do.

I'll second Arlington, and if you are going to be near the coast, you could always make a stop at Assateague Island for something horsey to do!

Annapolis. Definitely. Have crabs or a crabcake for me! If you detour to Washington DC, there's always the Smithsonian. You can spend a day or a week. Inner Harbor in Baltimore is fun for lunch or dinner and a walk. When are you going? There's always steeplechase, polo, etc. for something horsey.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Washington DC, Skyline Drive, Arlington, Lake Anna, Fredericksburg, Manassas Battlefield.
    We could all take a lesson from crayons some are sharp, some are beautiful, some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they still learn to live in the same box. Unknown.

For more history and old stuff, go wander around Old Town, Alexandria.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Annapolis and have crab or crabcakes at Cantlers.

Day trip up into the Amish communities in Lancaster County PA. The specific tourist destinations leave me pretty cold, but I love driving around and seeing people working fields with horses.

Go shopping at Middleburg Tack exchange, Horse Country and Saddlery Liquidators (all in Virginia)

I'd happily stay away from anything actually in Baltimore.

When are you coming? The hunt racing season is about to start in MD. The cherry blossom festival is soon in DC.

I also have to give shouts out to Tri-County Feeds in Marshall and the Galloping Grape in Warrenton. Some neat historical stuff and good restaurants in Warrenton, too.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

You could stop at the National Sporting Library and Museum in Middleburg (worth a stop on its own). It's right next to the COTH.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

When are you planning on traveling to the area? For example right now we're having a heat wave of sorts - amazing 75-80 degree weather. Cherry Blossoms are supposed to peak now next week and a half - so if you're here then - then you'd probably want to see the cherry blossoms. One of the most beautiful drives is along the GW parkway from National Airport toward Mem. Bridge during Cherry Blossom season.

It sounds hokey but if you are into sight-seeing and history I would hop on the tourmobile - you can get on and off at different stops/ can skip some etc. it takes you to all of the monuments, Smithsonian, National Gallery of Art, Arlington Cemetary etc; the other crazy thing they have is the DUCKmobile which is another sightseeing vehicle but also cruises along the Potomac.

Of note, Washington Monument is closed and some of the Mall is undergoing revamping

Old Town Alexandria, VA, Annapolis and Frederick MD are all worth a look.

If your in town around Memorial Weekend - Middleburg has an amazing barn tour over that weekend.

In the spring there are lots of Point-to-Point/Steeplechase races going on in VA and MD; there are also plenty of Horse Trials/and events to come watch just outside the DC area. For some horse events - check out themarylandhorsetrials.com - for their schedule and Seneca Valley Pony Club has a horse trial in June. Potomac Hunt races are May 20th- those races and Seneca Valley PC horse trial are held at the same place.

Since you like touring old houses, might want to visit the Alexandria tourist bureau to see if they have any tours of historic homes. Gatsby's Tavern is fun for lunch/dinner - try the Sally Lunn bread

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    I'd happily stay away from anything actually in Baltimore.
    Betcha wouldn't say no to the deep fried grand marnier french toast at Mama's on the Half Shell (unless you're on a diet which I would understand)

I actually love Baltimore, and if you're feeling like browsing/shopping, would recommend a stop in the Hampden neighborhood. Depending on when you're here, Camden Yards is a great place to catch a ball game - I love going there!

I also love the aquarium there though it's expensive to visit.

Also, the Maryland Steeplechase Schedule

If you're going to be in North East, a swing up to Bartville Harness in Christiana, PA isn't that far out of the way and is usually worth it, especially if you like bridles.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

The aquarium in Baltimore is a must see!!!

Middleburg in itself is a wonderful place to be. Lots of good food and tack shops and horses. I can drive around all day and just look at all the beautiful farms.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

If you love seafood then I'll third Annapolis (my hometown) Go to Mike's Crabhouse and you will have a great time with some super food. The downtown area is lovely to visit and has lots of tours and things to see. Ocean City MD is about 2 hours from Annapolis if you want a beach/boardwalk type thing. Have fun and enjoy.

For thoroughbred racing there's Laurel, halfway between Baltimore and DC.
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

I second the aquarium in Baltimore during the day.
    We could all take a lesson from crayons some are sharp, some are beautiful, some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they still learn to live in the same box. Unknown.

If you're spending that much time in the Middleburg area, see if you can find out when the mill in Aldie is going to be open. http://www.nvrpa.org/park/aldie_mill_historic_park It's just down the road and operational. We got the full tour of what all the 'stuff' is and how it works, which was pretty interesting.

Manassas battlefield is similarly chock-full of history and is a lovely place to stretch your legs for a few hours.
    ---------------------------