The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I was bitten this week.

We have a rental in the country, and there are people below us that live there, too. They have lived there for a few years, and they have several dogs. When we first met them and the dog in question (she was 4 mths old,) the dog was charging us and growling for no reason at all.

As months have passed, this dog (still a puppy!) has become even more aggressive: trying to squeeze out their door when its opened, growling and barking at us. When she was five months old, I had one of our dogs outside (on a leash,) and she charged him, grabbed his muzzle, and started shaking it. Our dog (95 lbs.) was shocked but didn't react. The owner came over and grabbed the dog and tried to "alpha roll" her, but the dog fought it.

Two weeks ago as my husband was leaving for work early in the morning, the owner went to come outside for something, opened the door, and out charged the puppy. My husband stopped when he heard her growl, and she jumped up, latched onto his arm, and released when the owner yelled at her. Luckily, he was wearing a jacket, and there wasn't any harm done. The owner told us we needed to work with her and the dog to get her over this.

We have seen this escalating, and nothing has been done to work with the dog (professional behaviorist, etc.) We haven't seen any triggers as to why this dog has now decided to start attacking people. It's not resource guarding, it's not guarding the house, it's not fear-based, etc.

On Tuesday I got the shock of my life when I returned home at the same time as the female owner. As I get out of my car and close my door, the male owner opens their door and lets all of the dogs out to greet the female owner. Within a split second, the pup charges around the corner, ignoring the owner, jumps up, growls, and latches onto my hand. I screamed out, and the dog released and ran off to run around with the other dogs.

The owner came over and asked not "what happened?" but "who was it?" I told her which dog it was, and I went upstairs. I washed off the wound and took pictures. My husband was livid. The owner came upstairs, said she was sorry, and said some things like, "we've let her get away with bad behavior too long" and when my husband pointed out that she is nasty to us when she sees us outside as well (she's behind a fence,) he yells, and she continues, the owner said, "well that correction needs to come from my husband or I."

I had planned on telling the landowner/landlord about the incidents since she is the one that would get in trouble if something happened, but I didn't need to. She met me at my work to bring me something, saw my hand, and I told her.

She is deciding what to do. The owner wants us to "throw [the dog] some treats" to get her used to us, but we're talking about a dog that is biting people, unprovoked, and has an owner that hasn't done anything about it but try to "alpha roll" her (obviously, that's pointless.) We do NOT plan on working with this dog as we feel she needs SERIOUS professional help just to MANAGE her temperament, but in our minds...a dog with an unpredictable temperament that has now bitten two people is a liability and should be humanely euthanized instead of rehomed or whatever is done.

I am sick to my stomach because we (DH and I) love animals, and we can't believe this dog has decided that we are her targets. I don't know if she's snapped at/bitten other people (owner says no) as they don't normally have anyone visit them/take the dog anywhere besides some performance events.

The landlord has come back with a proposal for us to remedy this situation, but I don't know if it would work out too well :\
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Oh, that's just horrible. My husband and I adopted a dog from a rescue type situation last year. The dog was really for my husband, but guess who got to do ALL the work, training, etc.? Yup, me. I am a cat person, have a full time job, four cats and a horse. Husband has owned dogs before and does nto have any hobbies. Our trainer told me that this dog was most likely going to turn out to be fear aggressive, and I was working with the trainer weekly and working with the dog daily. She was always very good with us and our cats.

Long story short, when a friend of mine, whom dog had met before, stopped over for a visit the dog growled, lunged at friend, and grabbed her hand. I was so shocked. Keeping her was, in my opinion, not an option at this point (I had already decided we were in way over MY head and did not have enough time for the dog if husband was not going to be able to be involved.) Trainer and my vet suggested euthanization, which would have killed me. Luckily I re-homed her with a dog trainer and by all accounts she has a very happy life.

I don't think it is at ALL your responsibility to be "working with" this dog.

Hope your hand will be OK.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Why have you not reported this dog bite to law enforcement???

Where I live that, I believe (no, I am not LE), would be considered Unlawful Ownership of a Dangerous Dog.

This is not something that you should be expected to deal with.

The owner needs to "own up" to owning a dog that bites. What are they going to do when this dog bites a true stranger or a child?

And how will you feel knowing this dog is dangerous, did not report it, and it bit someone else?

I love my dogs. I have no patience or tolerance for a vicious, dangerous dog.

So sorry to hear this! What is the landlord's proposal?

As for what is done with the dog, honestly you need to not worry about that and just worry about your own safety. As long as the solution makes it so that you are no longer in danger, let the authorities handle it. Did you report this? I would - this is really more than one bite. This is at least 3 for your family - 1 for the dog, 2 for your husband and 3 for you. 3 strikes and you are out in my book.

Those people are in way over their heads with that dog. If it was acting that way as a small puppy it isn't going to get any better without serious professional help. For the owner to suggest YOU work with her is ridiculous. I'm guessing that they think if the dog accepts you as part of their "pack" then she'll be ok. I wouldn't count on it. I sure hope the dog has had it's rabies shots. You would be well within your rights to report this incident to animal control....I would, especially since she broke the skin. Those folks are liable for any medical bills you may incur as a result of the injury too. The landlord can also be held liable in some states if he refuses to do anything about this dangerous situation now that he is aware of it.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Sadly, this is a dog that I would call mentally unhealthy and I think euthanasia is a viable option. This is not a dog which can be rehomed. And it doesn't sound as if her family is equipped to handle her. Your landlord should be asking about what these folks have for renter's insurance. Since this type of thing is bound to happen again, if the tenant's don't have appropriate insurance it's likely to fall onto the landlord. I'd say either the dog goes or the tenants go.

Stop worrying about the owner or the dog, and see a doctor now. You have no way of knowing if this dog has proper rabies immunization, and the health department and animal control need to determine this. Do not take the owner's word that the animal is vaccinated, or that they'll do self-quarantine. It is obvious the owners are fools, and are willing to risk the safety of others, so you need to protect yourself first and foremost.

This is the animal's second bite on a human, and the third that you know about, and the landlord is lucky you haven't sued him for allowing this animal on the property.

We recently lost a Soldier in Afghanistan who was bitten and many months later he died of rabies. I don't care what the landlord's idea is, or the dog owner. You need to take care of yourself, and get to the ER now.
    Last edited by JanM; Mar. 2, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

definitely see a doctor and get rabies shots if the dog is not vaccinated. Since your neighbors don't seem willing or able to control the situation, I would report the bite to animal control or the police. That is a dangerous dog!

From what I've been learning recently from friends "in the business", this type of behavior is nearly impossible to remedy and euthanasia is generally the best solution. Sad as it is, you and your husband might just be TWO of the victims and this is still a young dog. I'd let the owner know that you find the situation intolerable and that you will be reporting the dog/them to the authorities unless she takes steps to get rid of the animal first. Obviously a situation like this is rarely resolved without hurt feelings/ruffled feathers, but better that than actual bloodshed!
    Click here before you buy.

Call the police now if you haven't already.

I don't want to go into too many details until things are solid and papers are signed, but I will say that things ended in our favor after all.

I am more upset that these owners knew they had a problem and did nothing to fix it
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I hope it truely is resolved. Think how horrible you would feel if the next victim was a child. At that point the dog would have a clean history because it had never been reported.

Make sure that dog is up to date on rabies shots. Have you been to a doctor? Animal bites are nothing to mess around with.

As several others have said, these people are in over their heads. Unfortunately, a dog like this needs better than average management and training, and the resources who could deal with this effectively, are limited.

This is exactly the kind of dog I mentioned in that other thread, except she has been managed well enough she has not bitten.....yet.

Make sure, make sure that you see the rabies test or get the shots. This is NOT something you want to fool around w/.

Yikes! You definitely need to see a doctor, report the bite to the authorities, and make sure the dogs has all her vaccinations.

Agree with everyone else on making sure the dog is checked out for rabies, etc.

Also, I was bitten on the leg and my pants were torn on my calf by a mother dog that I did not know was in a box stall. I went to see if my friend's horse was in the stall and saw a litter of puppies instead. I didn't know where the mother was, so I quickly left. She was coming back from a little trip away from the puppies and bit me on the calf about fifty feet away from where the puppies were. She tore the lower leg of my pants off and broke the skin on my calf of my leg. I was just a teenager. I still have a scar on my leg, and I was blamed for the bite, not the owners of the dog, even though I had no idea the puppies or the dog was there and it was a public stable. Anyway, it was worse than I thought it was and I've always regretted not having the doctor check it out because I think it would have prevented the scarring, so I really hope you get a doctor's care on your hand if it broke the skin.

I'd be carrying pepper spray with a dog like that around, too.

The first thing you need to do is to report the bite incident to the local authorities.
    The dog will be quarantined for a 10 day period, and there will be a record of the incident.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

A dog like this is truly an unhappy animal. Putting it down would actually be doing it a kindness IMHO. The owners should've put this dog down immediately after it bit you.

I took a puppy back that had been turned into a fear biter. He lived at my house protected from strangers and was fine. But one day a police officer soliciting funds walked into my yard without permission and Higgins ran straight at him and bit him, breaking the skin. That was Higgins' last day on earth.

I only avoided a lawsuit because I euthed him AND the officer acknowledged coming onto my property without permission.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

BOTH the incidents where the dog bit you and your SO, as well as when it attacked your dogs need to be reported to the police ASAP, whether there was skin broken or not. If they don't have proof of rabies vaccination, it needs to be quarantined and you will probably need to get shots sooner rather than later as they aren't effective after the virus incubates.

Sadly, it probably means that the dog will be put down, as it has already bitten two people, but that is NOT your problem. If you let it go, odds are that someone else, maybe a child, will get bitten (and possibly badly hurt; you were lucky) by this dog eventually, and if you report it, that can be prevented.

Do NOT let this go or make any agreement that says you will not report the incident.

Default Doctor and Police Report ```

Doctor and Police Report both !

regardless of what
    has now happened"

you need a 'paper trail ' in case there is ANOTHER DOG INCIDENT
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"