The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Way to go!!! I'm so glad to see military people out there, it gives me hope. DH is a Marine, and even though I'm fairly new to the military life I'm really looking forward to meeting people from around the country.

Just spent almost an hour reading your blog. Are you relocating to Georgia, or did I read wrong? I'm in FL and travel to GA for the events. Would love to see your girl in action if that is the case
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpingpercheron View Post
    Why am I not using leave time for shows? Because the Air Force will give you permissive TDY for sports that are Olympic Sports. Again, I deal directly with the CHIEF OF AIR FORCE SPORTS, yes the man himself that oversees everything sports related for the entire Air Force.

You know what they also authorized me a paid permissive to LONDON to compete in an international military only showjumping competition. You can find the post about that trip here:

So glad our military tax dollars are being spent in the name of national security. Meanwhile, Joe-Shmoe the Taxpayer, is trying to figure out how to fund his daughters lesson program.

1 members found this post helpful.

Since our military is all volunteer, I can't think of a better PR move than to encourage community service and sports competition with the backing of the military. There is more to military service than guns and missiles.
    As an eventer and USAF brat I am proud to see a uniform jacket on an eventer. Throwing comments about 'national security' at someone that the AF is proud to showcase shows an appalling amount of ignorance or an addiction to political talk shows.
    Maybe we need more media about the many activities that the military supports. It is to the benefit of the military to make a 20-30 yr career something more than a tunnel vision job and it is to the benefit of the community to support our military.

The military has always supported athletes, especially equestrian in nature. It doesn't surprise me at all they give special permission to leave for competition.

You guys look great out there in your AF duds.

I've always been a sucker for a woman in uniform (hmmm, hope my SO doesn't read this).

I too feel it is great when the military can support it's own outside of the normal SOP they have to endure. That they provide assistance to this fine team is of no issue to me for it is not even a drop in the bucket compared to the waste and fraud that is discovered on a regular basis surrounding procurement, contracts, and bids. That jp can event and still perform her military duties...I salute that in a big way. btw, Klien looks a little like my guy, but bigger. Beautiful horse.

My only problem, going up against these guys and beating them at a show. I may find some "special forces" hanging around my barn the next day either offering me a position with their team, or commenting on how nice my horse is and "it would be a shame if it got 'drafted' by the Air Force. Oh, good luck at the next show against our girl".

I wish these guys all the best in competing and am grateful for their service to our country.

There have been posts before asking about military competitors, so here is my blog post with lots of pictures from the Las Cruces Horse Trials last weekend. My mare and I are currently representing the Air Force for eventing, since I am active duty Air Force. The wear of the AF Service coat is written into the dress and appearance standards as acceptable to wear for nationally recognized equestrian competitions. The Air Force has also bought my girl a halter that says "U.S. Air Horse" on the cheek with her name on the nose, saddle pads, helmet covers, and gives me Permissive TDY to show for eventing since it is an Olympic Sport.

http://jumping-percheron.blogspot.co...ials-2012.html
    That is awesome! I wish the Marine Corps had been half as supportive when I was still in! I think I used almost all of my leave to be able to train and event.
    Last edited by 53; Feb. 29, 2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: words

Quote Originally Posted by Neigh-Neigh View Post
    So glad our military tax dollars are being spent in the name of national security. Meanwhile, Joe-Shmoe the Taxpayer, is trying to figure out how to fund his daughters lesson program.

You can keep rude, snarky comments about military to yourself. You don't think we wonder where our money goes, as they're threatening to throw away our health care system?

[edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Feb. 29, 2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: to remove personal attack

So glad our military tax dollars are being spent in the name of national security.
    Marines
    Air Force
    Navy
    Army

Feel free to sign up.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbB View Post
    Since our military is all volunteer, I can't think of a better PR move than to encourage community service and sports competition with the backing of the military. There is more to military service than guns and missiles.
    As an eventer and USAF brat I am proud to see a uniform jacket on an eventer. Throwing comments about 'national security' at someone that the AF is proud to showcase shows an appalling amount of ignorance or an addiction to political talk shows.
    Maybe we need more media about the many activities that the military supports. It is to the benefit of the military to make a 20-30 yr career something more than a tunnel vision job and it is to the benefit of the community to support our military.
    I agree completely. I remember a news story about Horses in the Military, and they were interviewing an active duty AF woman who had horses and competes with them. It is great when they show the "normal" side of military life, and that even though you probably have crazy hours you can still have a life.

There was another post a while back about someone getting a discount on their insurance because their company considered horseback riding good for mental health. The military knows that soldiers in all branches function better when they have clear heads and have down time, so the AF supporting the OP's endeavors in eventing can be considered the same thing. They are investing in her mental health and well-being.

Default mitary eventing.

Hi there. I'm in the military too and just had a few questions. So do you get just permisive TDYs or does the AF pay entry fees too? Also, do you just work with the cheif of sports that's in your wing or some one higher?

Thanks for all the military info you posted!

V/R

Andrea

I'm with you and I did serve.

I joined to drive a ship, not ride a horse. Sorry (or not) if you think that's snarky. I worked with too many people who came in and were shocked that they had to go to sea/war.

Thank you for the support.

FLeventer, yes, you read right. I will be getting to Valdosta at the end of May!

Neigh Neigh, my TDY was paid for with NAF funds. And you're talking to one of 40,000. I have zero pull or influence on the workings and structure of the Air Force, obviously. Telling me about how you have a problem paying for you daughter's lessons is not going to get you anywhere. So? Not my fault you have a kid and can't pay for everything you wish you could. Maybe you should have planned things a little better so that you're not in the spot you are right now whining about how you are trying to figure out how to pay for your kid's lessons.

dredaq, I'll PM you.

red mares, Way to be ignorant. Do you really think all I do is ride my horse? Or that I joined to ride my horse?? I am on a Special Duty at a unit that supplies down range and specialty units with anything they need to build a base anywhere, any time , in any conditions. Don't think I'm not on stand by at all hours if I have to stage cargo and then load my cargo on a jet to head down range. I've deployed a few times. I also just got picked up by the JAG Corps and go TDY to JAG school on Monday. But you know what, in a sad way I have sympathy for you. I wouldn't join the branch you're talking about if you paid me to. That's a fairly subpar life compared to how the Air Force can take care of their people. Not my fault that you took the bait.

You think them giving me NAF funds for one TDY is something? How about all the money they give to the AF Softball, Volleyball, Soccer, etc teams to go TDY and drink their brains out? Please. One eventer is nothing compared to the real damage those guys can do.

We saw Jumping Percheron's and Klein's rides at Goose Downs this year. Amazing! On her blog she promotes fitness and pure athleticism of rider and horse, both of which were very evident to see her ride. With that level of fitness and grace, I can see why the Air Force is quite proud to be represented by her.

I know very little about military protocol, but as a taxpayer I'm happy to see that men and women serving our country are supported in their athletic talents and passions.
    At all times, we are either training or untraining.
    Flying Haflinger blog: http://flyinghaflinger.blogspot.com/ Flying Irish Draught blog: http://flyingirishredhead.blogspot.com/

FLeventer, yes, you read right. I will be getting to Valdosta at the end of May!

Neigh Neigh, my TDY was paid for with NAF funds. And you're talking to one of 40,000. I have zero pull or influence on the workings and structure of the Air Force, obviously. Telling me about how you have a problem paying for you daughter's lessons is not going to get you anywhere. So? Not my fault you have a kid and can't pay for everything you wish you could. Maybe you should have planned things a little better so that you're not in the spot you are right now whining about how you are trying to figure out how to pay for your kid's lessons.

dredaq, I'll PM you.

red mares, Way to be ignorant. Do you really think all I do is ride my horse? Or that I joined to ride my horse?? I am on a Special Duty at a unit that supplies down range and specialty units with anything they need to build a base anywhere, any time , in any conditions. Don't think I'm not on stand by at all hours if I have to stage cargo and then load my cargo on a jet to head down range. I've deployed a few times. I also just got picked up by the JAG Corps and go TDY to JAG school on Monday. But you know what, in a sad way I have sympathy for you. I wouldn't join the branch you're talking about if you paid me to. That's a fairly subpar life compared to how the Air Force can take care of their people. Not my fault that you took the bait.

You think them giving me NAF funds for one TDY is something? How about all the money they give to the AF Softball, Volleyball, Soccer, etc teams to go TDY and drink their brains out? Please. One eventer is nothing compared to the real damage those guys can do.

*applauds*

Just want to point out Navy riders can keep up with the Air Force any day. You think doing dressage on a pitching deck of a carrier is easy?

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/3...alpurgis.3.JPG

Yep, that's me. Started doing it in 2002.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

5 members found this post helpful.

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

Jumping Percheron, I'm glad the AF is so supportive of your hobby and I'm glad you push for rider fitness as well, since so many people still think we "just sit there." But all these people pay their taxes and so directly or indirectly, support the military and as someone in a spotlight, I would hope you'd be a little less snarky and condescending to them. Maybe you're not trying to, and I know a lot of tone gets lost in the Internet, but that's how it came across to me. As someone who walks in similar shoes (boots? ) to you, please try to be more aware next time of how other people might receive your words as they are literally typed so we can be better examples of our sport and our branch of service.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Wholehearted View Post
    Jumping Percheron, I'm glad the AF is so supportive of your hobby and I'm glad you push for rider fitness as well, since so many people still think we "just sit there." But all these people pay their taxes and so directly or indirectly, support the military and as someone in a spotlight, I would hope you'd be a little less snarky and condescending to them. Maybe you're not trying to, and I know a lot of tone gets lost in the Internet, but that's how it came across to me. As someone who walks in similar shoes (boots? ) to you, please try to be more aware next time of how other people might receive your words as they are literally typed so we can be better examples of our sport and our branch of service.
    Huge like!!! And let's not turn this into a battle of the services as there are plenty of folks from each branch that are pretty unhappy with their quality of life right about now...Air Force included.

dredaq, I'll PM you.

This is some of the most ridiculously condescending stuff I have read on COTH, and that is really saying something.
    My brother was in the military so I obviously am supportive, but wow would he never disgrace the military by acting like this.