The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm looking for a higher end used saddle

I figured I'd ask here since this seems to get a lot of traffic. I'm looking for a used higher end saddle. I need a larger size like a 18 or 19ish. I have a nearly brand new HDR that I, and my horse dislike. I would like to find a well broken in saddle. I'd prefer a butet, or beval LTD. But would consider anything of higher quality at this point. I'd like to stay under $1200. Please let me know what you have or where the best place to look/shop. I work about 10 mins from Bevals and plan to take a peak at their used stuff also.

Given your budget you could also try EBay--you never know what you might find!

A butet may be hard to find in that range but I know that in the past few months I have seen a ltd on ebay for about 1000+-. If you like the LTD you may like the natural too? Hope you find what you are looking for.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

I'll second Patricia at fine-used-saddles.com, she is wonderful to work with. I haven't actually bought from Cori at higendusedsaddles. but she was very helpful when saddle shopping in the past. Also agree with Herbie, you can find good deals on Ebay if you are patient and careful. Good luck

I bought my Natural from Beval's used site a couple of years ago. Beval was very helpful and they do alow trials etc. which most eBay sellers won't do. They carry more than just their own brand, though that's what they have the most of.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

In addition to the sites already mentioned, here is Beval's used saddle website. http://www.allthebestusedsaddles.com/

Hard to find a Butet in your price range unless they are pretty beat up, but you might get lucky on ebay.

Thanks everybody. I did look at ebay, there seems to be some decent deals. I believe I ready somewhere that Bevals saddles run big. Is this a correct statement?

Quote Originally Posted by maverick299 View Post
    Thanks everybody. I did look at ebay, there seems to be some decent deals. I believe I ready somewhere that Bevals saddles run big. Is this a correct statement?
    I don't know about that being true for every bevel saddle but I believe my devon is stamped 16.5 and it is really more like 17in.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Or Craigslist. Use the [ site: craigslist.org ] search function to get saddles outside your area.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Middleburg Tack Exchange. They update their saddle list on their website every Thursday.

You might try lightningg.com if you are in Beval's area. Their store is about an hour from Beval in North Salem. Like Beval's they have a wide selection of saddles and they too can be viewed on line. Yess two g's in the address.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Hi Maverick, I work at a local tack shop and we have had great luck with the M.Toulouse saddles. They feature a genesis tree, which is adjustable to fit several horses in just minutes with a small key. The construction of these saddles is based off high end models, the main difference being the leather quality, which is still very nice for the price range. You can generally find these saddles brand new for under $1500.00, and they seem to fit a variety of horses and riders very well.
    I also have a Barnsby close contact saddle, 18", for $1000 that is in great condition. Let me know if I can help at all, you can reach me at morna.farmhousetack@gmail.com

Depending on where you're located, you might check out your local tack stores too. There's one near me that has a nice Beval on consignment for $900 I was sorely tempted by last weekend. If the saddle I've ordered off Ebay doesn't work out I'll probably suck it up and go back and see if it's still there.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.