The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    I agree with this. IIRC the OP purchased this horse for resale. She said she had already made the decision to euth if a home wasn't found. She's reaching out one more time to see if anyone needs a companion or broodmare.

I think it is a bit unfair to expect everyone to pay for a lifetime of care for a horse that is unrideable. Back when I was a kid the unsound horse was put down as a matter of course and nobody thought any less of someone who made that decision.

While we love and spoil our horses, they aren't housepets they are livestock. Am I the only one who thinks that perhaps there wouldn't be so many young healthy horses heading to the kill buyers if people were a little more practical and put down the unsound horse rather than medicate them into a semblance of health so they can gimp around a pasture for years?
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

Quote Originally Posted by JanWeber View Post
    Well, you've just opened a door. I know of a number of horses in need of new homes, some sound, some not - what is your address so that my shipper can GPS you? Can you find a home for this mare? We ALL (we who have been around for a while, leahandpie), try really hard to do the right thing. Don't make it harder on the OP.
    I'm at my limit with two geldings and one foster mare, but thanks for the offer!
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Count me in as someone who understands what you're up against and appreciates how painful all of this must be. Better you choose what happens to her than pass her along to someone who doesn't have the emotional (and did I say financial) investment that you have in her and would be looking for an easy way out. Euthanasia is not an easy way out. Good for you in trying to place her as a last ditch effort, but sometimes life gets in the way. Don't spend any more energy trying to justify a decision that is solely yours. I've taken in too many rescues to not know that euthanasia is sometimes the kindest option for all.
    Ditto. And if it helps you to feel like you're not alone, I am also facing this tough situation with one of my rescues.

Good luck to the OP, I hope it all works out.

Quote Originally Posted by leahandpie View Post
    This isn't necessarily true. There ARE homes that want pretty pasture ornaments! I have found these homes for unsound mares in the past, and I currently provide a home for two.
    Yes - I have a field for those as well. There aren't homes for every horse out there. The op has tried and tried and cannot place her into the right home. I was just supporting her in that euthanasia is not a BAD thing. If and when she has exhausted all other options - it is OK to put her down.

The unicorns pooping rainbows has so many people unable to see reality - they get too caught up in "saving" the horses when truly it would be best to put some down instead of having them go down the chain of ownership and eventually to a kill lot. I've seen it happen. Look in the news right now. Over 100 OTTBs sent straight to slaughter by a wacko that PROMISED a good home for the horses. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by lifesabreeze View Post
    I have no problem with you making the tough decision to put her down. But, if she was racing sound on it and now,in your hands, is unridable, then it seems you are the one who "destroyed" her.
    Oh really? - do you think that the trainer at the track had an ultrasound done? I doubt it. Especially since they sent her across state lines without a current coggins. My suspicion is that the bow was never really set in the first place. She has only been lame for a handful of days since I had her. Without an ultrasound no one (including the vet before the first ultrasound) knew she was unsound. And you should have seen the shoe job she had when I got her, I might not know much but I know you never shoe a horse with a bow that way. Right now I could take her to a dressage show and she could still get a 7 on gaits.

With all due respect, OP - don't spend emotional energy on know-nothings that claim to have all the answers. Do what you know is right for you and for your mare - anyone who has been around horses and rescues for any length of time knows and understands your predicament.

quote: "Right now I could take her to a dressage show and she could still get a 7 on gaits. "

???? I don't get it. Is the mare sound or not? If she is? why is she possibly being put down?
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

In today's economy you do what you have to do. You wont get anything more then a hug and understanding here if you do have to choose to euthanize her. Actually you'll get kudos for making that decision and shouldering that cost instead of hauling her to the closest auction for "someone else to deal with".

If she was closer I actually do like her bloodlines - but don't I need another broodmare right now - correction I'm at my limit and dont dare add to my numbers with foaling season around the corner.

We've got one on our hands that I won't even try to rehome - a 3 year challenge since she was given to me when her breeder passed away. She has her own issues and they just grow each year it seems no matter what we do. And I'm not about to pass her off onto someone else and risk her getting into a worse position. We keep putting off that final trip to the vet - even though he knows its coming and likes to remind me that a person can only do so much to "fix" a horse that doesnt want to be fixed. *but she is such a nice mare if she wasnt such a walking disaster* So when do you admit defeat and make the decision for the horse's sake? [or in my case how many times can I talk my husband into "lets just give it one more month and see what we can do"]. My vet bills alone for her outweight anything she would have been worth if we could have gotten her healthy at this point.
    Crayola Posse~ on the bus in Mahognany

I thought? it might be valuable for those possibly interested in this mare to know more/have some questions answered in re: her previous status....OP, I found this thread that does discuss some of her issues with the bow that you've had to /been dealing with. Thought it might help others....
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=278458
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

The thread only seems to indicate as the OP has already stated that she had a bow-rebowed while doing what seems like lower level work and hence -a year later and still iffy--cannot be credibilty passed on as a riding prospect.

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

FH, Im so sorry to see you are at this point. I can attest that I've helped FH by advertising her mare in my area ...quite some time ago... a few nibbles but nothing of value. Again, she and I are of the camp to be responsible owner and not pass off ownership on a horse if it truly isnt right -- we'll eat the consequences of waiting for the *right* person.

FH, I have a retrain myself for sale that requires a level of rider Im not likely to find. I saved him once from *the truck*, and 3 yrs later with some progress find I may be faced with your dilemma rather than pass along and subject him to god-knows-what-in-store for him.

You came here looking for help... sort through these threads and respond to those offering solutions and ignore the rest. I will pass along to a breeder friend (who is on vacation) your mare and at least get answer either way. Stay focused on the fact your thinking is based on whats good for the mare, nothing else. (best wishes again)
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

brightsky: I so agree with your input and encouragement!

But I am? confused: is mare sound with 7s on gaits or is mare non rideable/pasture puff? Just so all of us can help and understand the need here....
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

OK - let me take a stab at this. Horse has a past injury which she often re-injures or aggravates. Most people looking to acquire a horse, free or otherwise, want one that has a reasonable chance of staying sound. Today, horse can go to a dressage show and be FINE; tomorrow, she can re-injure or aggravate the old bow and be lame AGAIN and be REHABBED again and brought back to work slowly AGAIN. Is that a little more clear? A horse need not be non-ridable/pasture sound only to have limited interest in her as an adoptee. Why WOULDN'T you want a horse with a greater chance of staying sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hippotamus View Post
    I will let everyone know what happens.
    I knew people would slam me about the euthanasia, and I can take it if it gets Dancer a home. And it's not just a threat it is my plan. I have been trying for more than a year to place this mare and no one was interested. Should I have posted her again and not mentioned it? But mid-atlantic gets all kinds of help when they post that.
    Yes I knew she had a bowed tendon when I took her and I have seen lots of ex-racers have long careers in eventing with a bow. I got her as a resale project and even though she was going wonderfully no one would look at her because she was a mare (worse a chestnut TB mare). I really need to write Dancer's story down because of everything she has faced through no fault of her own. This is also the horse that was hit by a car while I was riding her. Search for that thread if you want, when I posted it here I got blasted for that too, really I expect that from COTH. I know it was racing that destroyed her though it was racing that created her so you decide which is worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hippotamus View Post
    Oh really? - do you think that the trainer at the track had an ultrasound done? I doubt it. Especially since they sent her across state lines without a current coggins. My suspicion is that the bow was never really set in the first place. She has only been lame for a handful of days since I had her. Without an ultrasound no one (including the vet before the first ultrasound) knew she was unsound. And you should have seen the shoe job she had when I got her, I might not know much but I know you never shoe a horse with a bow that way. Right now I could take her to a dressage show and she could still get a 7 on gaits.

I still do not see how you can claim that racing "destroyed" her. Perhaps she should have been sold for a less demanding job than what you tried to do with her.

Again, I have NO problem with you putting her down if you cannot place her. But there is no need to place all the blame on racing.

Where exactly SHOULD the blame be placed, in your opinion?

No blame should be placed at all, horses obtain injuries in all sport horse disciplines. The OP blamed racing, yet pursued a discipline that could aggravate an old injury she knew the horse had. I have no problem on her choice to try the horse at what she thought she would be useful for but I do not see why she blames racing.

If she had been sold as a dressage prospect initially perhaps she would have been just fine on her bow. The OP states the horse was racing sound on it, so perhaps it was the jumps that kept up the tearing?

Again, I have no issue whatsoever with her tough decision to put the horse down. There is no need to blame racing for her woes.

Where exactly SHOULD the blame be placed, in your opinion?
    Plain bad luck and also partly on the OP who brought her back into work after a lameness, with only 6 weeks off and then worked her hard according to the linked thread, with no ultrasound.

FH- Have you had a RECENT ultrasound done since her layoff and if so, what were the results? Would you consider having an ultrasound done for a prospective owner, that might take a chance on giving her a yr off/rhab?
    Last edited by jetsmom; Jan. 24, 2012 at 02:29 PM.

Why doesn't everyone just stop bashing the owner and trying to assign blame and concentrate on helping the horse?

Earlier in the thread it said an ultrasound was done and the vet deemed the tendon was not going to hold up to work (see post 10.)

The thread ayrabz was so kind enough to dig up was from Oct. 2010 so the mare HAS had over a year off. Yes, the owner may have made some mistakes but she was also working with a trainer and vet at the time and taking their advice.

I agree caryledee. Owner has decided to euth her horse. If anyone can help, or rehome, that is what this thread was about. I did ref a thread that I thought? might give some who may be interested some background, but if this is what she wants to do, she's arrived at this place over time and is trying to help the mare outside of what she feels she can provide. I'm sure, she will refrain from obtaining another as she indicates it is her 'circumstances' financially that have led to this heartbreaking decision for her. any horse can suffer and endure and end up in a place that our 'circumstances' are not perfect for. Thats our obligation.
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

sorry...double post.
    Last edited by ayrabz; Jan. 24, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett