The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default USEF Meeting in Cincy

Who is going to that? Will we get reports?

It just occurred to this stupid person that running the USEF meeting for a whole week means that no one will attend but horse professionals, the retired, and the non-working, whether by having funds or not having a job. The large mass of adult amateurs are excluded--by design?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Seems like so much of the rule changing is now done at the mid-year meeting or by the ExComm. Not to mention the good stuff is usually in closed session. Maybe EN will have Samantha there since she is close by?

Default USEF Convention, who will be there

Nobody is excluded by design. Many of the meetings are open, some are necessarily (Hearings, LOC) closed. Adult amateurs (Eventing variety) have, by this time been given the opportunity to express their opinions, concerns through the USEA. Those opinions and concerns (or the lack thereof) have been duly noted and will be considered by the USEA representatives on the Eventing Committee and the Board of Directors. The Equestrian Press will be present and will report on the proceedings.

Those of of us who are there are not necessarily rich, professionals or unempoyed. We are deeply passionate about our different disciplines, and spend a lot of time and money, on a volunteer basis, to shape the future of the sport.

Malcolm

What's the purpose of having it in Cincinnati instead of at 'home' in Lexington?
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Cincinnati has a large airport that is a hub for a number of airlines. Lexington has a tiny airport. To get to Lexington, it is cheaper and easier to fly to Cincinnati or Louisville and drive the remaining distance to Lexington. So, they are saving everyone money and hassle by holding it in Cincinnati. There is a great deal to be said for making the meeting location easy to reach, particularly in the winter time.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    It just occurred to this stupid person that running the USEF meeting for a whole week means that no one will attend but horse professionals, the retired, and the non-working, whether by having funds or not having a job. The large mass of adult amateurs are excluded--by design?
    If you care enough to be involved, you take vacation. Probably easier for amateurs than for pros who are just getting by.

I take vacation for the USEA meeting, which also starts midweek. If I thought it important to attend the USEF meeting, Id take vacation for that too. But the USEA meeting has a lot more seminars and sessions of interest, and more formal mechanisms for "grass roots" eventing input.

There is only one eventing-specific meeting at the USEF meeitng. While part of it is "open", I get the impression it is "open" in the sense that "you get to listen to the committee meeting" rather than an open discussion session.

The people on the Eventing Committee already know what my opinions are on the things I care about. I don't need to be there to tell them.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

My thanks and complements to Malcolm for his years of service to the eventing community as rules guru, the compensation for which is getting to be dissed by anyone who finds the least bit of rules minutiae to argue about. While we may or may not agree with what occurs (including me, I still say we have too damned many rules), we could not have a better person representing our interests.

Ironwood farm - NOT!!
    "Cincinnati has a large airport that is a hub for a number of airlines. Lexington has a tiny airport. To get to Lexington, it is cheaper and easier to fly to Cincinnati or Louisville and drive the remaining distance to Lexington." I fly in/out of both LEX and CVG weekly, and Lexington is invariably cheaper.

I understand your frustration, Viney. I also know that peeps like Malcolm and Janet invest huge amounts of volunteer time in running these organizations and without them life in competition would be sad indeed.

Also, can we use technology? In this day and age video conferencing, live-time video streaming, etc. should be employed so that those of us who can jump online, watch and listen, can contribute from afar.
    Eventing needs volunteers. Support Volunteer Initiatives to be proposed at the 2015 U.S. Eventing convention, Dec. 5! #becauseofseema http://www.eventhorse.net/volunteer-initiative.html

Janet is correct about the Cincy airport being one of the most expensive out of which to fly.

My Uncle from Alabama just passed away. My DH was able to drive me to Louisville, fly SW and rent a car for three days, for one third of what it would have cost just to fly out of Cincy.

I would like to have gone to the USEF meetings. Shingles are still rampant, so I will only be able to manage MSEDA, next weekend.

Does anyone know if the USEA presents a report to the USEF on the state of the AEC's? (especially the numerous glitches/mistakes that occurred for many riders this year?)
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Really, it's not that easy for those of us who are professionals to get away either. Not only do I lose income, but I have to pay for extra help to keep things going while I am gone, never mind travel costs etc.. Would have been easier for me when I had a "normal" job and could take vacation.

But I firmly believe in being involved in the organizations that run the sport I have chosen as my career.

I don't take normal vacations - horse shows and the USEF and USDF conventions are about it.

Quote Originally Posted by msghook View Post
    Nobody is excluded by design. Many of the meetings are open, some are necessarily (Hearings, LOC) closed. Adult amateurs (Eventing variety) have, by this time been given the opportunity to express their opinions, concerns through the USEA. Those opinions and concerns (or the lack thereof) have been duly noted and will be considered by the USEA representatives on the Eventing Committee and the Board of Directors. The Equestrian Press will be present and will report on the proceedings.
    Does this mean the Eventing Committee will actually listen to the majority of the membership who wants the one fall and out rule repelled?

Certainly it is thought of as "repellant" by many ... but I think you mean "repealed" .... darn those spell checkers anyway...

And...of course they won't repeal this rule. Come on. If wishes were horses, beggars might ride. Unless us smurfs "occupy" eventing, nothing will be changed to make eventing easier, fairer, more accessible and fun for US. It is about some other class of rider....not us. I know this and accept it, and work within the structure to pick my fun events and not expect every event to be smurfy-friendly (like the AEC's). It is a difficult sport in more ways than one conventionally thinks.
    Eventing needs volunteers. Support Volunteer Initiatives to be proposed at the 2015 U.S. Eventing convention, Dec. 5! #becauseofseema http://www.eventhorse.net/volunteer-initiative.html

Default Results of the vote?

Looking for news of today's vote on the "one fall" rule! nothing on Eventing Nation yet. Perhaps the meeting was closed.

I wish I were there to cheer for Jimmy when he gets his award at the Pegasus tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Ca dreamin View Post
    Looking for news of today's vote on the "one fall" rule! nothing on Eventing Nation yet. Perhaps the meeting was closed.
    per facebook it looks like it was voted to abolish!

Quote Originally Posted by flutie1 View Post
    I wish I were there to cheer for Jimmy when he gets his award at the Pegasus tomorrow!
    And if anyone is around, please give Jacob Arnold, the junior of the year, a big cheer. He is a friend of mine and lovely young man, dedicated to his sport (combined driving of course!). He was somewhat nervous about having to stand up and give his speech!

Default "One Fall Rule"

"The Equestrian Press will be present and will report on the proceedings"

I am looking for evidence of the above, but have found no reports on the status of this important issue! Eventing Nation, where are you???

any news??

Default Still no news!

For those not on Facebook, anyone know where we can go to find news of the vote on the infamous "one fall rule?" Would also like some references for a legitimate evening news site, as it is increasingly difficult to plow through the cutesy photos, "fan mail," contests and other c**p that has become the former journalistic pretender known as Eventing News. Yes, it is sometimes entertaining, but who has the time to plow through it all to find the news? Just call me old-fashioned I guess. I am certain there is real "news" out there somewhere.

Default The Chronicle is here

Hi guys,

This is Sara Lieser from The Chronicle of the Horse. We have two reporters here, and we'll post a report on www.chronofhorse.com after the meeting is finished on Sunday.

I was in the Eventing Committee meeting, and they did vote to repeal the "one fall" rule for ALL levels.

However, this has to get voted on by the entire Board of Directors, and Safety Committee is against it. So it's premature to report on it. In fact, a member of the Veterinary Committee just said he hopes the whole issue gets tabled so each side can present more data.

If there's anything else you want specific information on at the USEF meeting, let me know on this thread or via email: slieser@chronofhorse.com.
    Managing Editor for the Chronicle of the Horse